Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 02:13 PM

25 posts, read 39,867 times

Advertisements

My family of three will be moving to Maine in the relatively near future. We have settled on Yarmouth. But I find myself wondering, as all three of these school districts - Yarmouth, Falmouth and Cape Elizabeth - seem to have very good schools.

How would these three school districts compare? We will be looking for their ability to integrate a totally homeschooled child into grade 8, before a transition to the public high school.

Also, we are curious about other ways in which to distinguish these three towns. How are they alike? How are they different? [Good grief. Can you tell that I am a reformed college professor - "Compare and contrast these three Maine communities. . . " ]

This may be a cross post as I first asked this question on a different thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 05:47 AM

404 posts, read 775,709 times
Your questions are a bit hard for this forum, because I think the only person who can really answer is some one who has lived in the communities or spent some time in all of them.
How ever I'll take a brief stab on a small portion of the big picture you have to consider.
One thing you might consider and its a pretty small factor is what would your routine be or what do you want it to be. example Falmouth and Yarmouth both have shopping areas and a few big box stores so your trips to those places would be very close. By contrast Cape elizabeth has an ordinance against big box stores, Although the drive to Scarborough the back way is a nice one and I find I make more trips into Portland for trader joes or to go out to eat. I Wonder if I would go to portland as much if I lived north?
Small contrast.....but its an attempt.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:10 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,654,733 times
We live now in Falmouth. This district was touted by Forbes Magazine as the best school for the money in the country (not that I put a heckuva lot of stock in those "lists.") Each of the three districts is very good, from what I can tell.

Living in Falmouth, it is very easy to hop on either 295 or 95 to get to Portland or the mall in S. Portland. As mentioned, CE, depending on where you are, is bit more difficult to get anywhere (though still not bad at all, relatively speaking.)

I cannot speak to the transitional a homeschooler issue though. If you have the financial resources, Waynflete in Portland is an excellent school. But it's about $24,500 a year.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:15 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,612,098 times
If we are going to stray into private schools, the best ones for the money in the area are Cheverus for boys and McCauley for girls. Their graduates get into top colleges easily and their sports teams win state championships. I expect Cheverus will win the state championship in football today. They did last year,

Old 11-12-2011, 09:15 AM

19,965 posts, read 30,095,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenPB View Post
My family of three will be moving to Maine in the relatively near future. We have settled on Yarmouth. But I find myself wondering, as all three of these school districts - Yarmouth, Falmouth and Cape Elizabeth - seem to have very good schools.

How would these three school districts compare? We will be looking for their ability to integrate a totally homeschooled child into grade 8, before a transition to the public high school.

Also, we are curious about other ways in which to distinguish these three towns. How are they alike? How are they different? [Good grief. Can you tell that I am a reformed college professor - "Compare and contrast these three Maine communities. . . " ]

This may be a cross post as I first asked this question on a different thread.
You can put a bad seed in the best of schools and still be a bad seed

you can also take a good well adjusted student, and they will succeed in just about any school in maine

I dont think you have any worries whatsoever in the 3 towns you mentioned
even if you got a response from each school district, it's going to be biased by their particular experience, the student could have one clash with a teacher and paint the whole school system, -sucks

I had a nephew go thru yarmouth and didnt hear any issues, but that doesnt mean its a better or worse system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine