Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 02:58 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times

Advertisements

The card I recieved a few weeks ago reminding me to renew indicated I can do this on line. As my printer isn't working right now I would need to do this at the library. Wondering if anyone has done this. My birthday is Sunday so I may just end up sitting at the BMV. I probably waited to long to do it on line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 04:15 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I tried to do mine online.

It denied me. So I had to go into the DMV.

Once I had sat through their waiting room system, I was told that I needed to bring in an original birth certificate or passport. So I went home.

On a second day, I sat through their waiting room system again, I presented my passport, I filled out a form and signed it. They took my photo, and sent me home.

Later I received my new Driver's License in the mail which has on it my old photo.

Apparently they need each Maine driver to establish that we are US citizens.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:34 AM

Yes I already knew that we need to provide a passport or birth certificate AND a utility bill that proves residency. Just about every thing is in my husband's name, ie water/sewer, electricity etc. so I'm wondering how this would show that I am a resident of this address. I'm sure this is true for many women. I am not about to got downtown and get a copy of our deed. lol Well the only utility in my own name is my cell phone so they will have to be satisfied with that.
Did they tell you why they refused to do it for you on line?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:37 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,184 times
I'm glad you told me this. I can produce a untily bill soon, but at the moment I have no idea where either my passport or my birth certificate is. Its packed somewhere.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:40 AM

Zarathu - the utility bill is not "instead of" the passport or birthcertificate, it is in addition to. The utility bill is to establish your proof of residency, the other is your proof of identity.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:41 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
... Did they tell you why they refused to do it for you on line?
No. and I did not ask.

I offered to bring in my California birth certificate, they said they would only accept a Maine Birth Certificate as proof of citizenship.

They also refused to accept my US military ID card.

Thankfully I have a passport.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:49 AM

I guess the on line convenience was set up only for those that were born in Maine. I will not even attempt to do it that way as I was born in MA. Thanks for the heads up. They should just tell us that up front. The state seems set on making life more and more difficult for us all the time.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:15 AM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
No. and I did not ask.

I offered to bring in my California birth certificate, they said they would only accept a Maine Birth Certificate as proof of citizenship.

They also refused to accept my US military ID card.

Thankfully I have a passport.
Then you received bad information. A certified birth certificate from any state is accepted as proof of citizenship. Certified means it has a notorized seal on it.
Here's the regs...

Driver License: Legal Presence: Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles

Old 11-22-2011, 10:33 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,184 times
Dang..... they won't accept the fact that Pennsylvania had no problem with my identity and gave me a driver's licence there.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
KellySmith has a good link there. Don't forget it has to be a CERTIFIED Birth Certificate. Not a photocopy, or they one they sent home from the hospital. My wife found out after waiting in line that the "Birth Certificate" she has had and used for decades, wasn't a certified one from the town office, but was instead a "certificate of live birth" from the hospital she was born in. Not acceptable, even though it had exactly the same information on it as the certified one.

What made it really clear how moronic this "requirement" is. She called the town office where she was born (hours away from where we lived) and asked what she needed to do in order to get a certified copy... answer: Send a self-addressed stamped envelope and a check for $10, with her maiden name and date of birth. She sent that and they sent her the certified Birth Certificate... they didn't ask for a copy of her ID, no affidavit attesting that she is who she said she was, nothing... Not even what her parents names were! Yep, rock solid proof of residency .

It is the same requirements here in MI as well, I had to go get another one when we moved back from Maine a few years ago.

Last edited by Bydand; 11-22-2011 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine