U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-02-2011, 06:28 PM

21,688 posts, read 27,713,584 times
I have also noticed that sometimes at a traffic light controlled intersection, where you have the left lane marked for straight traffic only and the right lane is marked for right turns only. That often when the right turn only arrow turns green the guy in the right lane will use that as a trigger to begin using his left turn signal.

He will just sit there blocking the right turn only lane, with his left blinker flashing.

It is enjoyable to sit in the right turn only lane, wanting to turn right, as the guy in front sits parked, maybe you can catch the next cycle of the traffic lights.

Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 06:32 PM

399 posts, read 346,467 times
I must say that every time I go over the bridge into Maine I notice a real difference in the traffic and the drivers. When I first started coming to Maine I used to come home and couldn't wait to tell everyone that the drivers actually seem to stay one car length behind you for every 10 m.p.h. It was like magic. I kept looking in the rear view mirror to verify and it was always the case. Very infrequently did someone tailgate but they would usually pass and be on their way. Where I live there's so much traffic and inexperience that the only way to tell if a car is behind you is to actually look at the driver's face because you certainly don't see the headlights they are so close. This is true especially with the younger drivers and of course those who have never had a wreck. It's always a pleasure to drive anywhere in Maine. There just seems to be a lot more caring and respect.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:29 AM

2,922 posts, read 3,113,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainerWannabe View Post
Yeah... Round circles. How are they called in France? I forget. Wait... Point rond! They are everywhere back in Europe. They do work you know... Way, waaay better than stop signs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Much safer than stop sign intersections.
Agreed.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Status: "You cant have any pudding if you dont eat you meat" (set 12 days ago)

10,797 posts, read 10,656,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
I must say that every time I go over the bridge into Maine I notice a real difference in the traffic and the drivers. When I first started coming to Maine I used to come home and couldn't wait to tell everyone that the drivers actually seem to stay one car length behind you for every 10 m.p.h. It was like magic. I kept looking in the rear view mirror to verify and it was always the case. Very infrequently did someone tailgate but they would usually pass and be on their way. Where I live there's so much traffic and inexperience that the only way to tell if a car is behind you is to actually look at the driver's face because you certainly don't see the headlights they are so close. This is true especially with the younger drivers and of course those who have never had a wreck. It's always a pleasure to drive anywhere in Maine. There just seems to be a lot more caring and respect.
I'm a bit biased but I do agree with this- im travelling more to n.h. and mass
and very different driving habits, I also notice the small things, do "strangers" hold the door for you going into a store, all over maine, you will see this respect/consideration even amongst teenagers- you dont see this , the further south you go-along with a respectful awareness of others around you, one small example, say you stop at a dunkin donuts/mcdonalds, most in maine are overly considerate of who is in line, and who's been waiting the longest- doesn't seem to happen in other areas.

Ive seen folks in maine, pick up a $10.00 bill they find on the ground outside of a store and bring it back into a store to give to the clerk, in case the person who lost it, might come back looking for it.
maybe the clerk will pocket it, but the person who finds it, and tries to do the right thing, feels better about it.
Ive commented to many thru the years, if I see them going above and beyond (being honest)
because I travel alot, ive seen many a times someone might lay their wallet on a gas pump and drive away, i've taken the wallet in to the cashier 3 times, in hopes the owner of the wallet will come back, and recently, at the mobil in newport, I was pumping gas, and I hear this guy start hollaring across to the other gas pump island- "hey, you dropped some money"
the old guy looked behind him, and their was some large bills on the wet ground, needless to say, he was very thankful.

yes, im honest, but what compels me more so is karma, if i were to keep someone else's wallet or money, i'm thinking I'd be run over by a log truck within 3 days.- also I'd want the same honesty from someone else, and have got it-so i pay it forward-

about 10 yrs ago, down at the maine mall, I along with many other men seem to be waiting, for their s.o. in the center of the mall

A few teenage boys (with jeans down to the floor) was walking very close to a couple older gentlemen sitting near us- one fella was dozing off- the kid, walked right up to the old guy dozing, and looked like he was going to take his bags of merchandise beside him, two of us guys spoke up at the same time.. "DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT" one of the kids, shouted the f bomb, and without hesitation, five of us guys got up and walked towards them,,,,,they didnt seem so tough with 5 of us, we didnt say a word, but they knew we wouldnt allow them to steal anything, so they ran off

this may not be a "maine" thing, if i were in mass, Im not so sure the other men would be so quick to jump in..

Old 12-03-2011, 01:28 PM

9,929 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I also notice the small things, do "strangers" hold the door for you going into a store, all over maine, you will see this respect/consideration even amongst teenagers- you dont see this , the further south you go-along with a respectful awareness of others around you, one small example, say you stop at a dunkin donuts/mcdonalds, most in maine are overly considerate of who is in line, and who's been waiting the longest- doesn't seem to happen in other areas.
Yah, go all the way south to Miami...you won't see anyone holding the door open for you. They'll just let it slam in your face even if they knew you were right behind them. And if you hold it open for others, they treat you like you were the doorman and expected to do it.

Overly considerate in line also happens in Seattle. When I moved from Seattle and finally got to Miami, I was still used to this. So, the first time I ever went to the deli in Miami, I stood there, waiting patiently, for my turn. It wasn't until about 3 people who had come AFTER me got served first that I realized I was supposed to take a number.

A fricken number.

We had to take a fricken number because people just couldn't be courteous and wait their damn turn.

It is so refreshing to be back in an area where we don't have to take a fricken number. We are courteous without needing a piece of paper.

But my favorite person in Maine thus far is still the random lady who waved me on at a four way stop early after I moved here. I was so used to the b.s. and fighting, like a salmon swimming upstream, in Miami that I was shocked...SHOCKED I tell you...that someone showed actual courtesy. I don't know who she is, I don't know where she was going but that lady, with that small gesture, when I was in my, "Oh God....four way stop..how long will I have to fight for my own turn", frame of mind, (literally, that is EXACTLY what I was thinking), not only made my day but really made me aware I was not in South Florida anymore and I could calm down.

And to bring this back On Topic: When I go on long drives for one of my jobs, one of my favorite things to do is look in the rear view mirror and see all the little headlights lined up in a row because they are all in the right lane, obeying the rules of the road. The last time I saw anything like this was when I lived in Germany. That's been a long time.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:58 AM

399 posts, read 346,467 times
You are all so right! Yesterday I was walking and there were two "younger" lads carrying on a conversation. I couldn't quite fit by to go down the aisle. Do you think they even considered moving? And no one ever seems to hold a door open anymore. Age does not seem to matter unless of course when it's them. Neither does allowing a lady to pass first. I wouldn't feel myself if I did not hold the door for a woman to enter, or another man for that matter. Once in a great while you will see some courtesy but not often. And when some people drive they are so busy doing stuff inside the car that they just don't go. That aggravates me as well. I walked away from a younger person yesterday while in the middle of a short story because they started to text. It's either that or they have to answer the phone in the middle of a conversation. How rude is that? I just walk away because I won't stand for it and they can go look for someone else to talk to them. Seems like a lot bothers me these days about the different generations but it would also seem that what's right is right and having class is not something you're born with. We have some 4 way stop signs and even though you are slowing to stop and proceed another car with a younger driver will brake quickly which I guess means that they got there first then cut you off because oh, their destination and life is much more important than yours. I look at it as simple rudeness and ignorance. I don't find that in Maine. And what a sad life it must be watching your phone all day and speeding home to do nothing. In a short while (I hope) I will finally be in Maine permanently and can then leave all this faced paced generic lifestyle behind. Ha, ha!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:11 AM

9,929 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Ok...here's one I've been noticing that is driving me crazy:

One of my jobs, I get off pretty late so it's nice and dark outside by the time I am driving home.

Sure, there aren't a lot of cars on the road, (bliss), but since I'm going a whopping 8 miles and most of it is surrounded by city/town lights, I am really wondering why on earth these people drive around with their hi-beams on?

In my town, there are plenty of street lights, there are homes there, and these people are driving with their hi-beams on and when you approach, they do NOT change them to low.

There's plenty of light to see the flippin' road, TURN OFF YOUR HI-BEAMS!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:55 AM

246 posts, read 161,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
You must be exceptionally lucky. I've never been anywhere where I don't have to pull off. I especially hate the giant 4WD trucks who think that just because they have the traction to pull away that they will have the same traction to stop on ice. Tailgaters in snowy conditions are the worst.

This is a giant problem in this state, its mostly men with something they are trying to make up for and teenage boys I reckon. You can tell the men cause they will have the biggest, loudest, tallest truck possible.

Most drivers are okay, but everywhere u go South of Gardiner or so everyone is in such a hurry. I drive about 3-7mph over the speed limit. If thats not fast enough for you, get the law changed, don't ride my butt because you are late for work and didnt leave early enough and are trying to speed.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 AM

2,922 posts, read 3,113,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
This is a giant problem in this state, its mostly men with something they are trying to make up for and teenage boys I reckon. You can tell the men cause they will have the biggest, loudest, tallest truck possible.

Most drivers are okay, but everywhere u go South of Gardiner or so everyone is in such a hurry. I drive about 3-7mph over the speed limit. If that's not fast enough for you, get the law changed, don't ride my butt because you are late for work and didn't leave early enough and are trying to speed.
I have an awful tendency to slow down with someone riding my cars bumper. I figure they must like close scrutiny of my rear bumper so let them get a good, long look. Generally, I go about 5-10 mph over.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 AM

742 posts, read 676,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
My rates went down by almost half from california. The two pet peeves I have about maine drivers is.....if the speed limit is 50, why drive only 40? Also many mainers drive slow until you get a chance to pass, then they speed up....I don't get it.....
Spite my friend, pure spite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine