U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:43 PM

30,687 posts, read 49,469,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Maine is a beautiful state and the most heavily forested, with a beautiful coastline. Its largest city, Portland, has ony 62,000 people. Secure employment before you go, because opportunities are few in such a rural state. Maine is also very heavily taxed and is by far the poorest in New England. New Hampshire is one of the wealthiest in the nation and one of the least taxed. You can also commute to Boston from suthern NH if need be. The White Mountains and the coast are right there at your doorstep.
Not everyone is exposed to these 'high' taxes that you claim exist in Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 05:34 PM

9,777 posts, read 14,959,939 times
No, but the average person here is. All those state rankings are based on averages. It takes a whole lot of people with high per capita tax burdens to make Maine #1. I know a guy who lives in a hand built camp way out in the woods. Every piece of wood in his camp was packed in there by hand. He has no address. I think the census missed him. His personal tax burden is very low.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:44 PM

35 posts, read 81,401 times
Forest Beekeeper,

Not a bad thought regarding bio tech. I will look into this.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Maine is bigger than the other five New England states put together.
Wow, really, is that true? Does that include Conn.? The population is what, compared with all the other NewEng states together?

For the OP:
Property taxes in Maine will generally be way less than in New Hampshire, known for its high COL because of that alone.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:21 PM

163 posts, read 255,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Wow, really, is that true? Does that include Conn.? The population is what, compared with all the other NewEng states together?

For the OP:
Property taxes in Maine will generally be way less than in New Hampshire, known for its high COL because of that alone.
N.H. does have high property taxes, but with no sales or income tax, COL is not that different. Definitely a stronger economy.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:09 PM

35 posts, read 81,401 times
Thanks for the info, guys! Still debating between Maine and Vermont, various COL exercises, etc. I will say, however, that the more I read up on Bangor, the more appealing it looks. Portland looked good at first, but Bangor seems better for us as a family. So much to read and consider.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:46 AM

2,397 posts, read 1,702,536 times
You may want to throw Lewiston-Auburn in the mix, We have 2 major hospitals and many smaller medical offices and for IT jobs Carbonite just built a facility here.

bill

Old 12-11-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekh32 View Post
We moved up from South Carolina and have been extremely happy. Maine is a wonderful state! We love the people, climate, and landscape. We have managed to both find jobs that we enjoy and that support us and have even found our dream home. Now if we could just get our family to move here from Ohio and Colorado, life would be PERFECT!!!
Where are you in Maine, if I may ask?

Old 12-11-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-not View Post
N.H. does have high property taxes, but with no sales or income tax, COL is not that different. Definitely a stronger economy.
For those in the workforce, high property tax and low/no sales tax works fine. For those retired on limited income, the other way around works much better. I do like NH, but the property taxes for me, as a retiree, are rather insane. Because of that and the seacoast towns, I prefer Maine.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
You may want to throw Lewiston-Auburn in the mix, We have 2 major hospitals and many smaller medical offices and for IT jobs Carbonite just built a facility here.

bill
I have never been to Lewiston, but hearsay is that it's high in crime (?) and not as aesthetic? I plan to visit to see for myself. It's in a great location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine