Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 07:14 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcberry View Post
I have studded snow tires. We have a wicked steep gravel dirt driveway. We drive a Honday CR-V. The brand of tires I bought, Gislaved brand, is Swedish and they do the job and then some.
"... wicked steep gravel dirt driveway ... "

That reminds me, our church group meets in peoples homes. One of the homes that routinely hosts these has a 'wicked steep gravel dirt driveway'.

A few years ago, as we were debating the cost/benefit of going to a separate set of winter tires. We were leaving their home after a service only one vehicle was able to climb their driveway. The ground was frozen hard, there was some ice with a layer of snow on top.

Using tow straps and all of us pushing, we managed to get each vehicle up out of their driveway. We all stayed and pitched in as each vehicle got up out of their driveway. The hosts were very embarrassed [the next summer they re-engineered their driveway so it is much better now].

My point is that a frozen "wicked steep gravel dirt driveway" with ice/snow did play a role in our decision to shift to using dedicated winter tires in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 07:49 AM

489 posts, read 1,210,879 times
In recent years I've been buying snow tires at Walmart or Sams Club. About 4 years ago I purchased 4 GoodYear Wranglers P235/R15, for about $50 - $55 a piece @ Walmart. Still got 'em. Price is probably higher now. I see that brand priced much higher other places so maybe they were mfg specifically for Walmart. Worked for me.
Do you guys put snows on all 4 wheels (front wheel drive or rear wheel)? Back in the '70's my dad had a '72 Ford Station Wagon and put snows on all 4 wheels. His friends thought he was nuts and should of had them only on the rear wheels.
A few years ago I had a little '90 Dodge Daytona - front wheel drive - and put snows on all 4 wheels. That thing was a joy to drive in deep snow and drove like a 4-WD. Recently scrapped out the car because of tranny and rust problems. Those tires went on my S10 pickup.

Anyway, regarding snow tires vs all-season - imo snow tires, no question, and put them on all 4 wheels, not just the drive wheels, for better braking and turning.

And if I were Bydand wife, I would have him buy me a 4 wheel drive for those winter rides to the ER in that Michigan snow.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:47 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So what the hell do you do if there's 3 feet of snow? Do you have a truck with a plow on the front? Mattracks or something? Last winter we got hit with a 26-inch snowstorm and even many SUVs were paralyzed until they started clearing the side streets; only the really huge, Expedition/Suburban-sized ones were able to get around until then. And we're on the leeward side of the lake; I would guess you get even bigger snowfalls on the windward side, and not that infrequently either.
That is why we have a large SUV with dedicated snow tires. I would dare say 99% of those SUV's that were stuck in 26" in Chicago had all-seasons on, or even worse, summer tread. Plus in Maine and on this side of Lake MI now, the snow removal is far superior to that in Chicago (mainly because there is a place to actually push the snow, and it doesn't have to be trucked away from the downtown streets.) At times yes, a truck with a plow has been used to get her to an emergency operation when needed.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:50 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
And if I were Bydand wife, I would have him buy me a 4 wheel drive for those winter rides to the ER in that Michigan snow.
Everything we own is 4X4. We lived a LONG time in Northern Maine as well, and always had at least one 4X4 in the driveway. The 4X4's still get snow tires.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:12 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Years ago I had a Chevy Vega. I had snows on all 4 wheels. I was on a business trip in a blizzard and the Vega kept slowing down. I pulled over, opened the hood and the whole engine compartment was packed with snow. The snow was up to the front bumper. The air cleaner intake was full of snow. I took the air cleaner off, dumped the snow out, banged the element on the tire and put it back in. I backed up 10 feet, got a running start and pressed on. Many cars with summer or all season tires were stuck. I just went around them for two reasons: I know how to drive in snow and I had four snow tires.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:44 PM

489 posts, read 1,210,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Years ago I had a Chevy Vega. I had snows on all 4 wheels. I was on a business trip in a blizzard and the Vega kept slowing down. I pulled over, opened the hood and the whole engine compartment was packed with snow. The snow was up to the front bumper. The air cleaner intake was full of snow. I took the air cleaner off, dumped the snow out, banged the element on the tire and put it back in. I backed up 10 feet, got a running start and pressed on. Many cars with summer or all season tires were stuck. I just went around them for two reasons: I know how to drive in snow and I had four snow tires.
Back in the '60's, one winter I was driving back home to Wisconsin from Rockland, Maine for Christmas. I took the Canadian route. Somewhere just before the ME/CA border it started snowing, hard/heavy. I was in the middle of nowhere and kept driving. Around midnight or so, the snow got so deep the car (a '59 Plymouth Sport Fury) wouldn't go anymore. So I just crawled in the back seat, piled everything on top of me to keep warm and slept until in the morning, luckily, a snow plow truck came along and I was on my way again.
No idea what kind of tires I had on her. Probably snows on the rear but can't remember. Today, I'd think at least twice about making a trip like that in winter, but back then, no problem. Did it a few times.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:53 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
I worked in Canada for seven years. I always had a couple of fruit cakes in the Explorer. You can live a long time on a couple of fruit cakes. You need to respect winter. I was in Dolbeau, Quebec on the north side of Lac St. Jean on morning and it was 52 below. The wind was blowing. It was the coldest I ever saw. There was frost on the outside of my tail pipe.

Up in Kapuskasing in Northern Ontario the road follows the edge of the trees. On the south side of the road there are trees. On the north side there is tundra all the way to Hudson Bay and the Arctic Ocean. Truckers bunch up and travel in convoys in case somebody has trouble. I followed along with them and we stayed in contact on CB Channel 10. The land is flat up there except where you drop down to cross a river.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:51 PM

642 posts, read 1,255,856 times
Sure appreciated my studded snows today as I watched the neighbors slide sideways down our mile long dirt road. Wished I had my "snow tires for shoes" as I slipped across the parking lot but I had left them home. My spare pair are now in the back seat for the winter.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:20 PM

346 posts, read 786,228 times
Attached Thumbnails
Snow tires - opinions please...-322678_2604301221223_1065635386_2902787_601135088_o.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine