Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 03:56 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,028,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I may be mistaken but I thought Medway was just north of Old Town. Old Town is about 10 miles North of Bangor, which would be where the nearest Walmart is, unless they have one now in Lincoln. Lincoln is a very much smaller place than Bangor.
I believe it's about 50 miles north of bangor-the medway/millinocket exit off 95

there is a wal-mart in lincoln- about 15 miles south of medway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 06:30 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,574,864 times
Lincoln has had a WalMart for nearly 20 years. Medway is about 20 miles up I-95 above the Lincoln exit.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:25 PM

48 posts, read 123,159 times
NewDawn, you might be thinking of Medford.
OP, good luck to you. No one has mentioned the big contentious issue in the Millinocket region, the proposed National Park. You might want to make sure you research that just so you understand the attitudes of the community you'd be entering. Just search "Roxanne Quimby" on the Bangor Daily News site, and you should find more than enough reading material from this past year to keep you busy for an evening. This has really polarized the Millinocket community (of which Medway is part) and I would not want to move there unless I had boned up on the arguments.
Also, l;ast I knew, there was a grocery store and a drug store right in Millinocket. I haven't been in a few years, so it's possible that it was shut in the economic downturn when the mills closed, but last I knew it was still in operation. Much closer than Lincoln. Also there is a school department in Millinocket.
Good luck!

Old 12-29-2011, 09:14 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,028,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennybenny View Post
NewDawn, you might be thinking of Medford.
OP, good luck to you. No one has mentioned the big contentious issue in the Millinocket region, the proposed National Park. You might want to make sure you research that just so you understand the attitudes of the community you'd be entering. Just search "Roxanne Quimby" on the Bangor Daily News site, and you should find more than enough reading material from this past year to keep you busy for an evening. This has really polarized the Millinocket community (of which Medway is part) and I would not want to move there unless I had boned up on the arguments.
Also, l;ast I knew, there was a grocery store and a drug store right in Millinocket. I haven't been in a few years, so it's possible that it was shut in the economic downturn when the mills closed, but last I knew it was still in operation. Much closer than Lincoln. Also there is a school department in Millinocket.
Good luck!
millinocket has a pangdburns Iga and a hannaford for a grocery store, also a ride-outs market on rte 11

medway has a nice little store called maryannes- They have a little bit of everything and the owners are very decent

Old 12-31-2011, 09:21 AM

3,245 posts, read 5,586,899 times
I really loved the area. Spent several very pleasurable days fishing the river all the way down to the dam downstream from Medway. Very beautiful, as said before, but much of Maine is beautiful.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:03 AM

4 posts, read 6,150 times
Thanks for the information on the stores, good to know they are close.

I researched Rebecca Quimby on the Bangor Daily News and I'd say that situation is, "contentious" as you described it hennybenny!

I'm working on looking up the local utilities right now and other necessities. Looks like the end of the month is when we'll be making a trip up.

Here's wishing everyone a wonderful New Year!

Warm Regards!

Bernice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine