Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2007, 05:36 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Anyway this starter batch has a pretty powerful aroma, so it should make some very tangy breads.

how did the bread turn out, Forest? I love sourdough... but at present I am still doing the ultra low carb thing.... so bread in general is not on the menu for a while yet.

But it will be again, if for no other reason than I love to bake! When I get down to where I can indulge in the carbs, I am going whole grain.

But on a different thread... am I correct in my assumption that cranberries grow in ME? I am currently under the influence of my favorite fall/winter mixed drink.. rum and cranberry juice... in this case a juice sweetened with Splenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 05:55 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
Cranberries can and do grow in Maine. Massachusetts used to be the leading producer of cranberries, Wisconsin now leads. They also grow in Canada. While cranberries are native to northern America there are many varieties.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:52 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
starwalker -

We just ate our first loaf of bread from this batch of starter.

It surprised me with a lot of rise and was very light, previous starters produced much more heavy breads that often did not rise as much. It was tart, though I usually like them to be more tart.

I am thinking about feeding it with barley flour or oat, and seeing how that works out.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:00 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
That bread sounds yummy! Also not on my low carb diet, but not much longer. I NEED some bread soon, and homemade sourdough sounds like just the splurge I need!!

Old 10-21-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
That bread sounds yummy! Also not on my low carb diet, but not much longer. I NEED some bread soon, and homemade sourdough sounds like just the splurge I need!!
Sounds like you are almost to your goal! I have been fighting to get past the 150 hump... but I will. I am aiming for somewhere in the neighborhood of 135. I USED TO weigh 120, before babies... but I think that is unrealistic at this point.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
starwalker -

We just ate our first loaf of bread from this batch of starter.

It surprised me with a lot of rise and was very light, previous starters produced much more heavy breads that often did not rise as much. It was tart, though I usually like them to be more tart.

I am thinking about feeding it with barley flour or oat, and seeing how that works out.
I agree... tart is good in sourdough. Don't they get more tart as time passes and it has more time to work, change and grow?

Old 10-21-2007, 08:00 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Often, they do.

There are so many yeasts, bacteria and enzymes all mixed together, each time you produce a new starter batch you never know what kind of a mixture you will get.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,542 times
Have you ever tried boiling down your squash in a large fry pan, adding fried vadalia onions, and sprinkling fried onion pieces (from a can) into it? I remember when I was visiting in Maine, seeing those red hot dogs! I was sent to a store near Lake Sebago which had pizza, being stupid and from NY I asked for anchovies on my pizza. The guy kept asking me, "what are anchovies?" When I told him they were little fish the guy couldn't stop laughing. I know that story went around for a long time about the stupid New Yorker. I now live in Fl. and the best cornbread I have ever tasted had zucchini in it. Anybody ever have those raisin tea biscuits (not scones) from NY bakeries. Would love to have that recipe !

Old 11-08-2007, 01:20 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
geesh, I just made brownies and now I want cornbread!! Thanks for that lowlow!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:01 AM

34 posts, read 86,303 times
Default "mmm brownies"

I logged in to read some posts and to better get to know the people on the boards and now I am getting offline to make brownies...bad real bad..especially since I am on the south beach diet and WAS totally committed, but we are all entitled to fall off the wagon. as long as I get back on tomorrow and stay away from the food threads...here I come Hershey's !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
geesh, I just made brownies and now I want cornbread!! Thanks for that lowlow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine