Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2007, 10:05 AM

874 posts, read 1,855,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
that does it, I will get the graham crumbs and make em either for church or for the freeze...........or both! Thanks
Yum frozen sounds good too...

Oh that's probably not what you meant. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 10:46 AM

454 posts, read 886,217 times
This is awesome with some crusty bread on a cold winters night...roasting the roots first gives them excellent flavor.

Roasted Root Soup

1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
2 carrots, cut into thick rounds
1 parsnip, cubed
1 rutabaga, cubed
1 leek, thickly sliced
1 onion, cut into quarters
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary
½ tsp sage
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp black pepper
5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 Bay leaf
Salt, to taste
Sour cream, garnish
Chopped chives, garnish

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Prepare the vegetables as above and put them on a roasting sheet. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, and sprinkle with spices. Toss with hands to coat well.
Roast for 40 minutes until tender. Turn them occasionally to ensure even cooking. Remove from the oven and put in a saucepan with the stock.
Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, add bay leaf and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove Bay leaf. Pour the soup into a blender and process to desired consistency.
Return to the saucepan and heat through. Add salt to taste.
Serve hot, garnished with sour cream and chives, if desired.
Serves about 6.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:48 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times
What a delicious sounding recipe Bewitched!
Can't wait to try it- thanks

Old 12-16-2007, 09:20 PM

323 posts, read 993,114 times
Ok I just made Molly's Molassis Cookies and they are the best I have ever had!!! Thanks Molly!

Old 12-18-2007, 05:54 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
Default Bydand or others? a Bagga Pastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
About the only time a eat a "bagga" is in a Pastie.
My goodness, two wonderful foods I never thought of connected together. A bagga in a hot pie - yum! Can you describe further? ... please?

Thanks, sorry for the late reply

qw

Old 12-18-2007, 05:56 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Does anyone have a good bread pudding recipe? It just struck me this afternoon - I want to make that for Grandma on Monday.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:56 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
you're welcome Jen!

Old 12-18-2007, 05:58 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I saw that recipe that msina asked for peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate and while shopping yesterday, I bought all the ingredients on impulse....I remembered it all (even the tooth picks to use for dipping them in the sinfully rich chocolate....now I am debating with myself about making them.....I am a chubby man with a white beard who looks a bit like santa already....I don't need the temptation.....and my DP who is as fit as a fiddle from all the tennis he plays...would probably eat no more than one or two. But maybe.....if I make them right before a Christmas social at church....I could bring them for the dessert table.....and enjoy a couple and give the rest away! OR I could just donate the chocolate chips and the peanut butter and the crisco "fat in the can"
and the confectionaly sugar to the food pantry. (I can use the butter.) whoops I forgot graham cracker crumbs.....
I would LOVE the peanut butter balls recipe!

Old 12-18-2007, 05:59 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitched View Post
This is awesome with some crusty bread on a cold winters night...roasting the roots first gives them excellent flavor.

Roasted Root Soup

1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
2 carrots, cut into thick rounds...
Thank you for this wonderful recipie. I have found the best way to attract friends is to serve them a hearty soup or stew with hot bread on a cold winter's day

Old 12-18-2007, 07:00 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
My goodness, two wonderful foods I never thought of connected together. A bagga in a hot pie - yum! Can you describe further? ... please?

Thanks, sorry for the late reply

qw

Straight from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where the Pastie is king.

UP Pasties

The Pastry:

* 3 cup flour
* 1 1/2 sticks of butter, cold and cut into bits
* 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
* 6 tablespoons of cold water

In a large bowl, combine the flour, butter, and salt. Blend ingredients well, and add water one teaspoon at a time, to form a dough. Toss mixture until it forms a ball. Kneed the dough lightly against a smooth surface using the heel of one hand to distribute the fat evenly. Form into a ball, dust with flour, wrap in wax paper, and chill for a half an hour or so.

The Filling:

* 1 pound of round steak, coarsely ground
* 1 pound of boneless pork loin, coarsely ground
* 5 carrots, chopped
* 2 large onions, chopped
* 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
* 1/2 cup rutabaga, chopped. Or turnips, if you prefer
* 2 teaspoons of salt
* 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper

Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Divide the dough into 6 pieces, and roll one of the pieces into a 10-inch round on a lightly floured surface. Put 1 1/2 cups of filling on half of the round. Moisten the edges and fold the unfilled half over the filling to enclose it. Pinch the edges together to seal them, and crimp them decoratively with a fork. Transfer the pasty to a lightly buttered baking sheet, and cut several slits in the top. Roll out and fill the remaining dough in the same manner. Bake in a preheated oven for a half an hour at 350 degrees F. Put a teaspoon of butter through a slit in each pasty and continue baking for another half an hour. Remove from the oven, cover with a damp, clean towel. Cool for 15 minutes before serving. Makes 6 pasties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine