Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 03:36 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,148 times

Advertisements

We have the one at a time plan plus streaming (we have Roadrunner Internet and TV). Decided it was an ok deal, despite the price increase.

Yes, the movie offers are a bit behind the new releases. What is on streaming is not identical to what is offered by mail, either. We get movies, most often, by mal and are watching back episodes of TV on streaming, as my work schedule makes it hard to catch some programs I like that are on later in the evening. Since TV is not a major focus of our lives, being a season or two behind is not a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 06:48 AM

642 posts, read 1,255,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
American Girl, do you get cbs, nbc, abc and pbs? I've heard of Netflix, but thought that their movies are a little behind the new releases.
Yes, we get the three major networks plus the CW, Fox and several pbs stations. We are hooked up to the old roof antenna that was on the house when we bought it.

Netflix seems to have the new DVDs as soon as anyone else. We have the 3-out-at-a-time DVD mail plan. The only other alternative here is Red Box, no other video stores left.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:19 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
We were using Netflix at the 3-DVD plan. Until November when we decided to scale it down to on-line only.

Over the past few years we learned that when returning DVDs we had to go into town and drop them in a USPS box for them to get back to Netflix quickly. Any DVD we placed in our mailbox would take between 1-week and 1-month to make it's route back to Netflix. It took us a while to figure that out.

Now with more options appearing for watching TV show online [like Hulu, or the individual networks] we no longer see the benefit of having DVDs here.

Dw likes Netflix for their 'instant play' feature.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:32 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,999 times
My problem is I can't get internet access here so I have a Verizon "hot spot" device. It works well but I am limited to a certain amount of time. If I go over I pay lots more. It's $50 a month but worth it to me for high speed. Is there another way to hook up Netflix to my TV. I am not going to buy a Wii just for that.....

Old 12-30-2011, 09:51 AM

65 posts, read 98,893 times
I had both DVD home delivery and streaming, but kept only the streaming after the price increase. I watch on my tv through my Roku box.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:59 PM

642 posts, read 1,255,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
. Any DVD we placed in our mailbox would take between 1-week and 1-month to make it's route back to Netflix. It took us a while to figure that out.
Wow. I put one in the outgoing mail here at work on Monday morning and have my replacement in my home mailbox no later than Thursday, sometimes Wednesday!

Old 12-30-2011, 01:35 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
Wow. I put one in the outgoing mail here at work on Monday morning and have my replacement in my home mailbox no later than Thursday, sometimes Wednesday!
It worked that quickly for us too, when we dropped the returning DVD into a USPS box.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:55 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
I used to get them by mail but I would always forget to return them when I was done watching them, in a timely fashion.

I opted to change over to the instant watch program via my Wii.

I do find their "instant watch" selection rather lacking though as much of what I want to watch is not available for instant watch at this time.

I'll give them one more year and if they don't start making more titles available for instant watch, I'll drop them altogether.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:48 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

I do find their "instant watch" selection rather lacking though as much of what I want to watch is not available for instant watch at this time.
I thought the justification for their price increase was that they were adding all kinds of new content to the streaming side?

Old 12-30-2011, 04:07 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,829 times
We do both the mail and the streaming. The streaming is awesome for the kids -- lots of kid-friendly shows without commercials. I still get enough dvd's to make it worth while for the mail service. I am not the type that needs to see something immediately -- in fact, I've caught up on years of being behind in movie watching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine