Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 07:42 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

The personal stories of people victimized by violence are always stories of pain.

That does not change the fact that in some areas people are victimized at ten times the rates as they are victimized in other others.

In some locations people are victimized at rates as high as a thousand times higher than in other areas.

Nobody is denying that people do become victimized here in Maine. Such happens everywhere, and it is a shame.

The rate of this going on, how often it happens, and how terrible the fall-out from it's impact on society; is entirely different when comparing a place like Maine [where it is so rare] to most other states where crime is comparatively high.

Becoming victimized most certainly hurts that person and their family.

Areas with high crime rates, experience this dozens of times each day. The effects are multiplied, and that is the difference. It effects the entire society. The victimizing reaches out and effects everyone living there.

When daily rapes are numbered in the dozens, murders are common place, and larcenies are rampant; everyone lives in fear. Everyone!

That is a high crime rate.

Most posters here on this forum have never seen, nor heard of any such thing happening in Maine. Ever.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:49 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's tell the truth View Post
No but I do remember a Nadeau boy somewhere between the age of 10 to 14 year's old was going to testify for the State of Maine in Caribou against some drug dealers and the day before he was suppose to testify he dissappeared they later found his body in a shallow grave in the wood's Later two people where sent to prison for it.One of the people who was arrested was a warden's son. The mother was devistated.
Yep, it happens. It's sad. Just be happy it doesn't happen as often there as it does where I live!

BTW, we've ALWAYS joked about your posts!

Old 09-09-2007, 08:43 AM

228 posts, read 220,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The personal stories of people victimized by violence are always stories of pain.

That does not change the fact that in some areas people are victimized at ten times the rates as they are victimized in other others.

In some locations people are victimized at rates as high as a thousand times higher than in other areas.

Nobody is denying that people do become victimized here in Maine. Such happens everywhere, and it is a shame.

The rate of this going on, how often it happens, and how terrible the fall-out from it's impact on society; is entirely different when comparing a place like Maine [where it is so rare] to most other states where crime is comparatively high.

Becoming victimized most certainly hurts that person and their family.

Areas with high crime rates, experience this dozens of times each day. The effects are multiplied, and that is the difference. It effects the entire society. The victimizing reaches out and effects everyone living there.

When daily rapes are numbered in the dozens, murders are common place, and larcenies are rampant; everyone lives in fear. Everyone!

That is a high crime rate.

Most posters here on this forum have never seen, nor heard of any such thing happening in Maine. Ever.
I have never wanted to compare the crime in Maine to another state . I have wanted to talk about the crime in our state Maine where we live and our children live. And I do agree with your last sentence that is why I have sent them to www,bangornews.com , sexoffendersinmaine.com ,www,mainesupremecourtdecisions.com, and many other's so they can see and read what is going on in our state.I do not live in Florida but I do live in Maine and the answer is not "If you don't like it leave!!"That's not a very good attitude to have.Or for people to use the initial's "MBM" to cover up what they really want to say. Believe me I am tough I can take it . Thank's for your post have a great day

Old 09-09-2007, 08:55 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Quote:
I have never wanted to compare the crime in Maine to another state . I have wanted to talk about the crime in our state Maine where we live and our children live. And I do agree with your last sentence that is why I have sent them to www,bangornews.com , sexoffendersinmaine.com ,www,mainesupremecourtdecisions.com, and many other's so they can see and read what is going on in our state.I do not live in Florida but I do live in Maine and the answer is not "If you don't like it leave!!"That's not a very good attitude to have.Or for people to use the initial's "MBM" to cover up what they really want to say. Believe me I am tough I can take it . Thank's for your post have a great day
You know, I only understand about half of what you say anyway, your grammer and spelling is so bad, but I would assume that all regulars on these boards know exactly who MBM is, and I hardly think that's a secret. Only an abbreviation to save a few key strokes. I've yet to see anyone afraid to say what they think regarding your posts! We're all adults here - I think.

And your idea is so skewed about what crime really is, apparently. We all KNOW all you want to talk about is crime in Maine. Trust me, we get it already!!! We just want YOU to understand that you're missing out on what is truly important, and obviously, pointing out to you that you live in one of safest places in the entire country is a lost cause. It all seems to go right over your head.

Now, whose head is in the sand?

Old 09-09-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
You know, I only understand about half of what you say anyway, your grammer and spelling is so bad, but I would assume that all regulars on these boards know exactly who MBM is, and I hardly think that's a secret. Only an abbreviation to save a few key strokes. I've yet to see anyone afraid to say what they think regarding your posts! We're all adults here - I think.

And your idea is so skewed about what crime really is, apparently. We all KNOW all you want to talk about is crime in Maine. Trust me, we get it already!!! We just want YOU to understand that you're missing out on what is truly important, and obviously, pointing out to you that you live in one of safest places in the entire country is a lost cause. It all seems to go right over your head.

Now, whose head is in the sand?
Hi Number One why is it more important how I spell then it is about the crime in Maine?? It must be it's your first sentence. The only thing I can tell ya is I went to school in Maine!! Number Two if you have read my post's You will no that I have lived 43 of my 52 year's of life in Maine.9 year's I lived in Arizona so I do what crime is going on in bigger states but do we want to wait until Maine get's that bad before we do something about it?? My head is not in the sand.I came back here app. 20 year's ago Elcarim when you move here it won't take you long to understand if you just even read our paper's. I do not take lightly corrupt cop's and other gov. officals, child molestation ,rape,murder, drugs, or any law's not followed. Have a great day!

Old 09-09-2007, 10:46 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Hi Number One why is it more important how I spell then it is about the crime in Maine??
When crime is so low and so hard to even find, then everything else does stand out so much more.

Quote:
I do not take lightly corrupt cop's and other gov. officals, child molestation, rape, murder, drugs, or any law's not followed. Have a great day!
Then perhaps you should.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:03 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
Quote:
....do we want to wait until Maine get's that bad before we do something about it??
I would love to know what exactly you propose we do. What are you doing about it? (You can avoid that question again if you'd like..)

Old 09-09-2007, 01:15 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
LTTT, the presentation of the message is important. Even if one has some valid points, if people cannot understand the message or it is presented in such a way that it appears to be from someone with bats in his belfry then the message tends to be discarded.

But, enough about that, if you can't won't take it into consideration then it is a waste of time to continue with it.

Let's move on to what you perceive as a problem. Crime. Crime happens, always has, always will. The Police cannot protect the citizens from it, nor do they have a duty to do so. This is a point which has been upheld in many court decisions across the country.

You seem to be trying to make the case that crime is a severe problem in Maine. Just what do you propose should be done about it? More Police?

While having a Police presence can deter some crime in some instances, it cannot possibly prevent ALL crimes from occuring. The primary function of any police agency, local, county, state, or federal is to respond to a crime after it has occured and to attempt to apprehend the [alleged] criminal. You may own a mop, that you use to clean up spilled milk, but does that mop prevent you from spilling the milk in the first place? No, it can't, and it won't.

It is up to the citizens themselves to be their own first line of defense against crime. I could argue the case that the government's apparent desire to disarm the citizens, in violation of the 2nd Ammendment, should be seen as criminal but that is a different discussion.

Let's take the case of some citizens who could arguably be seen as some of the most well-protected people in the country- the Presidents. They have the Secret Service, the FBI, the Marines, etc., etc. In spite of all that "protection" some of them have become victims of criminals who have assaulted them, causing injuries and death.

While discussing tactics with the Presidential Protection Team some time ago, I observed that it seemed to me that it was quite impossible for them to prevent a determined attack and outlined several scenarios as examples. They admitted that my assessment was correct and that they were aware of that fact.

So, if comparitively massive amounts of personnel, equipment and money cannot assure the safety of our leading citizen, will those things do any more for the rest of us? Nope. Not no how, not no way.

Yes, crime occurs in Maine. The fact is, however, it is at a much lower rate than many (or most) other states.

But let's back up just a little. Some posts back I proposed that it was a good idea to first IDENTIFY the problem, and, more specifically, whether or not a problem acually existed before attempting to find a solution.

Maybe it would be a good idea to start there. Is there, in fact, a problem that needs to be solved?

Let's take a look at the crime statistics for the state. If you examine the stats from 1960 to 2005 you will see that there are two peaks- the late '70s/early '80s, and again in the mid '90s. The fact is, that from 1996 to 2005 the crime rate has been decreasing, despite a steadily increasing population.

Somebody must be doing something right. Where then, is the problem? You certainly can't argue that crime is growing in Maine, the numbers show that that is not the case.

You can point out all of the isolated cases that you want, by themselves they do not support your argument.

If you can point out a more specific problem, then by all means, please do so. Once we can identify a problem then we can discuss possible ways to solve it.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:02 PM

Could someone expain to me because I clearly don't get it!! If " the fact is from 1996-2005 the crime rate has been decreasing ,despite a steadily increasing population " posted by Zymer, why are our jail's overflowing and they are hollering for more jail's?? Could it be that the stats have been adjusted a little to make this state look a little bit like a rose garden?? Remember we are Vacationland!!

Old 09-09-2007, 02:39 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:

Could someone expain to me because I clearly don't get it!! If " the fact is from 1996-2005 the crime rate has been decreasing ,despite a steadily increasing population " posted by Zymer, why are our jail's overflowing and they are hollering for more jail's?? Could it be that the stats have been adjusted a little to make this state look a little bit like a rose garden?? Remember we are Vacationland!!
Well, that's a start.

why are our jail's overflowing and they are hollering for more jail's?

One has to ask the right questions if one wishes to get the right answers.

Who is it that is saying that the jails are "overflowing".

Who says that more jails are needed?

Why are they saying it?

Have any jails been shut down?

Is it possible that punishment of criminals has become harsher, longer sentences, less easy to get out early?

Are they actually catching more of the criminals and sentencing them to prison instead of just giving them a slap on the wrist?

If the answer to the last two questions is "yes", then that would be a sign that the criminal justice system is doing a *better* job, and could acount for the decreasing crime rate. This would be a "good thing", and more prison space might actually be beneficial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine