Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 05:15 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddinAroundFarm View Post
Star, we are so much alike it's scary! Hubby and I talked about buying or building a "tiny house", but that idea was quickly thrown out the window when we decided to adopt. See, now we need to have enough space according to the government's regulations. Icky. But neccesary. So now we live in a 1078 sq. ft. farmhouse that has a nice kitchen, small living room, combo bath/laundry, large master, and a smaller bedroom for kids. It has an attached playroom on it. And yes, you is right, bunks work quite nicely.
I am surprised that the government lets kids (plural) share a bedroom. Doesn't that make them deprived or something, in this society where BIGGER and MORE = better? I don't know a lot about the adoption rules, but know there are a lot of hurdles to jump. My #2 daughter and her husband adopted.

Well there will be lots of time, after kids are grown, when you can "downsize" into something that fits just the two of you. Actually one of the smallest places I lived was with a husband and 5 daughters, #5 being born while we were living in a 16x20, one room and a loft cabin with the "little house" (the one with the moon on the door) out back. the smallest I occupied, ever was 12x16, also with loft. When I am dragging the propane tank with the heater-thing on top from room to room here, I do long for much less space! I do not NEED three "bedrooms" (one is storage, one my Craft room) but will stay here until I can get to ME.

I rented this place initially as I was getting a friend/roommate/possible life partner at the time and his health issues precluded living in a barely converted shellfish packing plant which was where I was before. Long story... But both were commercial spaces in which it was also legal to live (hard to find here but necessary for how I wanted to run/present my business).

I do like having rooms I can leave my work set up in (both the design work and having a reception room devoid of pet hair, and my other craft work) where the cats cannot go. Since they have to be totally indoor kitties (we are squished between two very busy roads... great business location, bad for outdoor kitties) they do get rastier than typical. When I get to ME I hope to be in a place where I can kick their fuzzy hides OUT during the day, if they get outa control and have a good chance of having them on the stoop at supper time so I can get them in at night.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:34 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,097,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
uhhh.......... I dunno! Ed must have been familiar with what I write because he didn't ask for samples. We'll write a short intro so that readers know who we are. My partner in crime is a farmer and fiber artist. She raises pastured meats, sheep and llamas, owns a fiber processing mill and makes a lot of value added products from her farm products. She's the animal and I'm the vegetable. Put us together and we've got an agricultural column. We'll write about locally and seasonally produced goods, what organic really is and isn't, recipes and more.
MW do you mean Paula? that would be so great!! She's wonderful!! I'm so glad that you're doing this....good for you! I think you'll find that Ed will really let you take it where you really want it to go too! woo hoo!!

Old 11-16-2007, 05:37 PM

837 posts, read 1,709,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post

Since they have to be totally indoor kitties (we are squished between two very busy roads... great business location, bad for outdoor kitties) they do get rastier than typical. When I get to ME I hope to be in a place where I can kick their fuzzy hides OUT during the day, if they get outa control and have a good chance of having them on the stoop at supper time so I can get them in at night.
It's nice when your pets can go outside safely. I'm hoping my kitty can be outside when I get to Maine, so much more interesting for him--but I also wonder if it will be safe. I'm thinking coyotes, etc. Do Mainers need to worry about the wild life consuming their animal friends?

--Also regarding the feline folk-- does anyone have a Maine Coon cat?--they are so beautiful!

Old 11-16-2007, 06:02 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
MW do you mean Paula? that would be so great!! She's wonderful!! I'm so glad that you're doing this....good for you! I think you'll find that Ed will really let you take it where you really want it to go too! woo hoo!!
Yes! She is wonderful. And very talented. We're going on the great poultry expedition Sunday when we take our birds to be butchered. I liked Ed a lot. He didn't ask for writing samples and resume so he must have Googled me and already known who I am. I appreciated that. Not asking me a million questions right off the bat put me at ease. I'm happy! This will be fun.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:03 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Starwalker and treeluvr, please don't take this wrong, but if you are in town, rethink letting kitty roam free all day. I have had several neighbors who have done this and it gets old real fast when you cannot get flowers to grow in the flower garden beside my own house because every cat in the neighborhood is using it for a litter box. Plus they do have a time with Racoons in town if they are not in before dark. In town, let them out, but take care they don't use the neighbors yard for their "duties".

Old 11-16-2007, 06:12 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Do Mainers need to worry about the wild life consuming their animal friends?
Yes. I've lost two cats to predators. I keep working farm dogs to keep the coyotes, bobcats, coons and fox off my pets and poultry. We've lost poultry to bobcats, coons, turkey vultures, hawks, falcons and owls. When I came home last night a coon came down the side of the barn and ran off into the woods. It was trying to get to my ducks in the barn.

Quote:
--Also regarding the feline folk-- does anyone have a Maine Coon cat?--they are so beautiful!

The monster on the right isn't really a Maine Coon but he looks like one.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:43 PM

837 posts, read 1,709,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
In town, let them out, but take care they don't use the neighbors yard for their "duties".
Bydand--You're right, of course--must be considerate of the neighbors (and their flowers). I'm really hoping to get something a bit out in the country, although that may not be practical for me. By the way, you can buy cat repellent in a spray can--don't know what's in it, smells a bit soapish. My cat certainly hates it. Would a spritz along the outside edge of the flower patch be helpful?

Maine Writer--I like the coloring on both of those cats, but I do find the one on the right particularly pretty. If he was 20 lb or so, he really would look like a coon kitty.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:43 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
In town, let them out, but take care they don't use the neighbors yard for their "duties".
I in no way implied "letting them run free all day" or even every day, just now and again, when they get "the zips". and FWIW, mine are so well box-trained that when one of them DID escape and refused to come in or be caught for a 24 hrs, the first thing she did when she got in was make a bee-line for the LITTER box, not the cat chow!

Besides I won't be "in town" if I have any say in the matter and am a gardener too, BIG time, when I have the room.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:08 PM

Not even trying to imply that y'all do this. I just think it is one of those things that are not even on most pet owners radar.

As for the cat repellent, if the owners want to but me a can, I'll try it. Other than that, nope not spending money to keep a pet that isn't mine away from my garden. I found that if a talk didn't do the trick, a live trap and trip to the shelter did. A couple of times of having to pay $25 a trip to get their cat back, it is amazing how poo free it was this year. (the people in question had 30+ cats each, not just a couple. It was disgusting even walking by their places because of the smell)

Old 11-16-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
the first thing she did when she got in was make a bee-line for the LITTER box, not the cat chow!

This is just too funny! I grew up with cats and know full well how both stubborn and well trained they CAN be. Looks like the combination worked against yours. FREEDOM!!!... Oh, poo, I have to go... litter box in the house... Have to think these things through better next time... MOM OPEN THE DOOR!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine