Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 09:50 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Ok, remember we were talking about the little fenced in "snow" area for the kids at the annual Santa Fest? I just went in search of holiday events in the area to see what we can take the kids to do next month.....I came across this......pathetic, I know. This is a "snow day" in Texas!

And the sad thing is that kids will be lined up for half a mile to pay $5 per trip down the "snow hill". Not my kids.....we'll wait for sliding in Maine, thank you!

Words fail me! 12' hill and slide 30 feet, at $5 a pop. But you know, at least they try to give the kids a different experience than they normally would have. Sure they make a buck off of it, but the kids will have something special to talk about and remember.

I remember the first winter spent in the Dallas area, we got a couple of inches and of course the entire area shut-down. My brothers went out to make a snowman and were rolling the huge snowballs around the yard. There were actually people who were stopping and watching them because they had never seen anybody ROLL the snow into the giant balls used to make the snowmen. They carry handfulls of snow and pack them into the shape of a snowman. Also no clue how to pack a good snowball for a snowball fight. I was blown away because I had spent my entire life in snow and just assumed EVERYBODY knew how to pack a snowball and build a snowman.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:02 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
oh El honey, I don't even know what to say. The only time I've ever seen snow like that is when you have hockey camps in the summer and they're piling the "snow" from the Zamboni outside the rink. Well, after your trip to Maine you and the kids know the difference

Old 11-18-2007, 10:09 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
The only time I've ever seen snow like that is when you have hockey camps in the summer and they're piling the "snow" from the Zamboni outside the rink.
That's it!! I was wondering why that "hill" reminded me of something and I just couldn't put my finger on what it was. Zamboni, what a great invention that was! Have you ever heard the song by the "Gear Daddies - I Wanna Drive the Zamboni"? I have a whole CD with "winter" songs on it someplace.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:33 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
OMGosh, can you imagine having to pay $5 to slide down a fake hill??

Somebody needs to buy El's house quickly so her kids can get to Maine and experience a real winter, with real snow.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:33 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
And the sad thing is that kids will be lined up for half a mile to pay $5 per trip down the "snow hill". Not my kids.....we'll wait for sliding in Maine, thank you!
Here's what you have to look forward to! I'm going to include links instead of the pics because they're kind of big. This is a gravel pit a couple of miles from my house. To say the walls of the pit are steep is an understatement.

Sliding 1

Sliding 2 (broken link)

Disclaimer: No children were hurt in the making of these pictures. I tend to forget I'm not a teenager anymore, nor have I been one for a long time. On my last trip (last for obvious reasons) I went airborne over a small bank, landed hard, and bruised my 42 year old tailbone. This winter's mantra: I'm 43. I'm 43. I'm 43. I'm going anyway!

Old 11-18-2007, 11:54 AM

Bydand I actually looked for a video for you of that song....and found this.... yes, I know the song!

YouTube - I Wanna Drive The Zamboni Glace Bay

Old 11-18-2007, 11:55 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Words fail me! 12' hill and slide 30 feet, at $5 a pop. But you know, at least they try to give the kids a different experience than they normally would have. Sure they make a buck off of it, but the kids will have something special to talk about and remember.

I remember the first winter spent in the Dallas area, we got a couple of inches and of course the entire area shut-down. My brothers went out to make a snowman and were rolling the huge snowballs around the yard. There were actually people who were stopping and watching them because they had never seen anybody ROLL the snow into the giant balls used to make the snowmen. They carry handfulls of snow and pack them into the shape of a snowman. Also no clue how to pack a good snowball for a snowball fight. I was blown away because I had spent my entire life in snow and just assumed EVERYBODY knew how to pack a snowball and build a snowman.
Yet another thing you guys will have to teach us! We made our first snowballs in Maine last March. I'm quite sure we did it all wrong! But it was fun!!

Old 11-18-2007, 12:00 PM

And what is a Zamboni?

Old 11-18-2007, 12:02 PM

well, that's NOT a Maine thing Ever been to a hockey game? It's the big machine that resurfaces the ice....click on the video.....

Last edited by mollysmiles; 11-18-2007 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: :)

Old 11-18-2007, 12:06 PM

Oh! I know what that is. Just never heard it called that. No, I've never seen hockey live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine