U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 06:14 AM

2,712 posts, read 4,896,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
(This isnt the first time that I have been caught in my civies by a child who is sure I am St Nick. ) I love it each and every time!
You must be related to my K, then... he has the same experience, even though he is blonde with a reddish beard. But the shape of his beard (and the rest of him as well) and his gentle disposition/vibe do easily lead youngsters down that path... not even always around Holiday time either! One young'un that I recall gave the "Mommy! There's SANTA CLAUS!" call from her perch in a shopping cart in the pet isles at Wal-Mart back in July.

He, also, "plays along"... asked her if she had been being good, etc and Ho Ho-ed us down the isle in search of "reindeer chow." I'm glad he y'all can pretend with them so well... It is fun watching.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:20 AM

5,953 posts, read 11,079,907 times
You must spread some reputation before blah blah blah.... That's really nice elston. What a great thing to do!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:17 AM

38,323 posts, read 18,059,512 times
Talking Surrogate Santa's

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
You must be related to my K, then... he has the same experience, even though he is blonde with a reddish beard. But the shape of his beard (and the rest of him as well) and his gentle disposition/vibe do easily lead youngsters down that path... not even always around Holiday time either! One young'un that I recall gave the "Mommy! There's SANTA CLAUS!" call from her perch in a shopping cart in the pet isles at Wal-Mart back in July.

He, also, "plays along"... asked her if she had been being good, etc and Ho Ho-ed us down the isle in search of "reindeer chow." I'm glad he y'all can pretend with them so well... It is fun watching.
Yes it often happens in the off season--in July or August I will feel the intense stares and see the shy whispering between Mom and child, and the peeks, if they say anything....I go right along with it....what an honor to be mistaken for the most beloved figure of childhood if they just peek and shyly smile I give then a wink and a nod and go on with my work. I bet there are lots of surrogate santa's in the supermarket aisles and airport waiting rooms.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:34 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,121,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I had a really sweet experience this evening while shopping at the supermarket. There was a young couple and a friend shopping with a tired little guy about 5 years old. I sorta noticed he was sheepishly glancing at me and his Mom said, "He's wondering if you are Santa Claus" I asked him if he thought I was Santa and with wide eyes he nodded. I said, "Well of course I am! But Christmas is over so I am on vacation. I really need to do some shopping." Then I asked him if he liked what I left him this year, he obviously did though I couldnt understand what I had left him that he liked the best. We chatted a bit about my reindeer and the carrots, being a good boy and helping Mommy all year so I could come again next year, he said he puts his toys in the toy box......and then I did one of my ho ho ho's that brought a look of wonder to his little face and then I was off down the aisle as fast as the jolly old elf went up the chimney! (This isnt the first time that I have been caught in my civies by a child who is sure I am St Nick. ) I love it each and every time!
Oh Elston, that is just a wonderful thing to do! What a kind man you are.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:36 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,121,551 times
Anyone know why I can't Rep anyone this morning? I keep getting the "you must spread it around" pop up box, no matter who I'm trying to rep.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:40 AM

612 posts, read 1,059,764 times
I'm getting the same message.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:50 AM

1,323 posts, read 2,538,733 times
Well, here it is, January 1, 2008 - yesterday I went to the store and bought a brand new 2008 calendar and a brand new blue Sharpie. I have the calendar above my computer desk and the Sharpie is hanging from a string next to it.

Today I get to put a big, blue X on January 1. Do you all know what that means?????

That means it's only 152 days until we leave for Eastport.

Can't get that much more homesick for a place than that. Do ya'll think I may be a wee bit obsessive about getting back to my "real" home? Giggle!!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:52 AM

612 posts, read 1,059,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Well, here it is, January 1, 2008 - yesterday I went to the store and bought a brand new 2008 calendar and a brand new blue Sharpie. I have the calendar above my computer desk and the Sharpie is hanging from a string next to it.

Today I get to put a big, blue X on January 1. Do you all know what that means?????

That means it's only 152 days until we leave for Eastport.

Can't get that much more homesick for a place than that. Do ya'll think I may be a wee bit obsessive about getting back to my "real" home? Giggle!!
We are right there with you Corgis..."obsessive about getting back to our real home".

Old 01-01-2008, 08:55 AM

5,054 posts, read 10,888,384 times
I found an ad in December's Down East for Maine wall calendars. I'm going to order one this week. My MIL used to buy me a new calendar every Christmas. For some reason (probably because the universe knew I needed one from Maine ) she didn't buy one this year.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:04 AM

5,054 posts, read 10,888,384 times
Ok. Calendar ordered. Moose & Pine tree windchime on it's way from Gray, ME and Maine State Seal bumper sticker to put on my new van. I think we're ready to barrel our way through 2008 and right on into Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine