U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 01:25 PM

5,054 posts, read 10,929,364 times

Advertisements

I have never in my life received a personally typed email resonse from a Chamber of Commerce. I just received one from the Machias area Chamber director, and the first line was to apologize for the delayed response! The rest was answering every question I asked, in full detail and ended by a personal opinion of the area - glowing, of course!

All I was expecting from them was the standard mail-outs with all the touristy info.

Is there any wonder we can't wait to get up there?!

Old 01-04-2008, 01:51 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,182 times
El:
Be prepared for a welcome to any prospective resident by their government and community leaders. That is the norm for smaller more personal communities. I met so many people who were more than willing to answer questions that I was shocked. Maine needs people, especially in the downeast section. The businesses and towns have a rough way to go because of such small numbers of customers and residents. They are happy to provide information and tell you what a wonderful place they live in.

Try writing other chambers of commerce, if you haven't already. I would imagine the results will be similar. You will have to get used to small town folk and their big hearted ways.

Example: The lady the checks on our house today emailed me a copy of the newspaper article about ice dams forming on roofs and the leaks they cause. She knows I was a bit concerned, and they are expected a heat wave this weekend, 45 degrees. She asked me if I wanted her to get someone to rake the roof so the ice dams won't form. Of course I told her yes. She goes way beyond what anyone would expect her to do. Everyone I have met in the area is just like her!

Old 01-04-2008, 01:59 PM

5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"I was on the store side. Were you there?"

The van was. We were on the restaurant side having a late breakfast.
Oh good. If you'd been the man standing beside the register while I was petting shadow I'd have felt pretty dumb for not noticing your hat.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:18 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,508,869 times
lol....wow, this thread is always so busy! we're such chatters

MW I missed the meteors too....not because of clouds though I didn't wake up around 4 like I do much of the time, I slept right til 6:15!! That's too bad it was cloudy.

Gen what a cutie you have! That shade of purple is soooo her color. It really just makes her eyes pop. She must be loving the snow

And NMLM, I really, really think you should send that book out. I have a feeling about it. We have a LOT of children's books here in the house, and I'm always looking for more--good ones! You may write the one book that becomes a child's favorite and inspires a love of reading. Really, send it out....I just have a feeling.

PS---did you know that Tabitha King pulled Stephen King's "Carrie" out of the trash and sent it out?

and El, that's so cool that you got that email!! I have to say though, I'm not surprised

Old 01-04-2008, 02:45 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,811,809 times
There's something strange going on here. Anyone have a police scanner? EIGHT police vehicles (including a State Police car) were just at a house down the street. This family has five kids, one is just an infant. The police were from here, Dover-Foxcroft, Brownville Junction and the state. The road was blocked off and two women I presume were DSS took the two youngest children from the house. The older kids weren't at home. Strange timing as my DH mentioned this morning there were some unfamiliar young men around that have been staying at that house. I know it's not always right to presume but, my guess would be drug related, as the people in that house chum with another couple that have been busted for drugs. (Big Doin's In A little Town)

Old 01-04-2008, 03:27 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,508,869 times
I'm sorry msina....it's got to be hard when it happens in your neighborhood. If you're right, and I hate to say it but I hope that's all that's happening is drugs, well, if you're right then it's good they got the kids out of there. When drugs are involved there's just no way those kids can be safe

Old 01-04-2008, 03:30 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,163,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
There's something strange going on here. Anyone have a police scanner? EIGHT police vehicles (including a State Police car) were just at a house down the street. This family has five kids, one is just an infant. The police were from here, Dover-Foxcroft, Brownville Junction and the state. The road was blocked off and two women I presume were DSS took the two youngest children from the house. The older kids weren't at home. Strange timing as my DH mentioned this morning there were some unfamiliar young men around that have been staying at that house. I know it's not always right to presume but, my guess would be drug related, as the people in that house chum with another couple that have been busted for drugs. (Big Doin's In A little Town)
Are you alright, msina? Please keep your doors locked. Keep us posted as to what is happening.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:36 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,811,809 times
Thank you so much for your concern. We are fine. The house is only a couple down on the other side so we couldn't help but notice the commotion. I felt bad for the kids. There's been something "off" at that house all winter, they've not plowed or even shoveled the stairs at all this year and the kids usually look under dressed for the weather (no boots, hats or mittens).

Old 01-04-2008, 03:40 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,163,781 times
Poor kids. Hope their life improves in a huge way. Only hope the DSS will find a warm and loving foster home/family for them.

Childhood is such a precious, fleeting time. A positive or negative experience has major implications on shaping the character of future adults.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:43 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,286,680 times
Doctor Laura, a lady talk show host, has a program to provide large cloth sacks with blankets, toiletries, pajamas and warm socks for kids suddenly displaced. This can be due to emergency foster care or loss of a home due to fire. The sacks are called "My Bag". It can be the only thing that belongs to a kid.

She does good work. We don't get her on the radio in Maine any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine