U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-11-2008, 06:09 AM

4,104 posts, read 4,244,765 times

Advertisements

El, I'm so sorry to hear that. Divorces are hard enough without having to lose your best friend that way.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:35 AM

1,961 posts, read 3,050,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
An old friend emailed this to me today. I was 17. Time flies.
What a beautiful young lady!!!! So happy- great dimples!!
Hope you have both still- happiness and dimples

Old 01-11-2008, 09:35 AM

4,538 posts, read 5,690,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
qw, I am checking in to see how many of the KK crullers are left.....
Sigh.... They were nasty, so I only ate about half of them They're pretty much like any of the over processed snack cakes you find at a convenience store. I opted for cereal this cold rainy morning to go with my coffee. The bagged crullers probably go better with beer than with coffee. (Any hosers out there remember "The Great White North" ? Koo looko koo koo looko koo!)

I think I got over them for now. Not a total loss, the memory of the gas station and the tow truck was _very_ enjoyable.

Bob and Doug McKenzie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Bob and Doug - Topic - Great White North

Last edited by quiet walker; 01-11-2008 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: no link included

Old 01-11-2008, 10:04 AM

34,248 posts, read 11,467,769 times
Breakfast this morning was a lot more hardy than left over cruellers.....I made corn meal mush with butter and molasses! That reminded me of cold mornings getting ready to venture out into the cold to walk to school. Delicious!

Old 01-11-2008, 11:25 AM

653 posts, read 1,258,707 times
Maine Writer, i went to the Seasons Eatings Web site, i like the idea of using conduits to build hoop house, they are ready available and easy to work with. I want to build one and on the web page it show some heavy snow weighed problem.

Here are my questions:

Would the next Hoop house build the same way again.
Why conduit, not white schd 40 PVC.
Are those 2 peices of 10 feet and 1" dia connected by the coupler at the top.
thanks

Old 01-11-2008, 11:27 AM

2,712 posts, read 3,594,045 times
Don't the "foodies" call that polenta these days and serve it for supper, fried I think?

Or at least that is pretty much what it tasted like to me, the one time I tried it, expecting some sort of gourmet treat. I do NOT like corn meal mush... wasn't impressed with polenta either.

Glad you like it though... I miss my thick cut oats on some of these chilly mornings, but they haven't found their way back into the diet yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Breakfast this morning was a lot more hardy than left over cruellers.....I made corn meal mush with butter and molasses! That reminded me of cold mornings getting ready to venture out into the cold to walk to school. Delicious!

Old 01-11-2008, 11:28 AM

3,001 posts, read 3,476,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post

Originally Posted by Zymer
Those big, black and yellow Orb Weavers *really* give me the willies. I think those are about the meanest looking spiders I've ever seen.

I weed a three foot circle around them. Tomatoes can rot on the plant before I'll get too close. I seriously think I'd have a panic attack if I got one on me. But still, they're like a really bad traffic accident, I can't help but look.

Picture this: walking behind the house, on a very dark night. You have a flashlight with you but because you are so familiar with where you are going you haven't turned it on. For some strange reason, even though you can't really see anything, you stop dead and feel the need to turn on the light. When you do, you see a huge web about a foot or 18 inches in front of you and sitting in the center, right at face level, is one of those.

Then think about how you would have reacted had you kept walking without turning on the light, and got that thing on your face.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:32 AM

34,248 posts, read 11,467,769 times
Very much like polenta (and I have some of my mush saved to slice and fry)! Polenta sometimes has some parmesean cheese or red pepper flakes and is usually served in place of pasta or as the starch in a lunch or supper. It usually doesn't stand on its own. Of course a couple of slices of fried spam goes good with fried mush!

Old 01-11-2008, 11:38 AM

7,713 posts, read 7,906,042 times
I had to laugh, we've been making polenta from cornmeal forever. Grits make the best polenta. It comes out very creamy and smooth.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:45 AM

454 posts, read 563,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Don't the "foodies" call that polenta these days and serve it for supper, fried I think?

Or at least that is pretty much what it tasted like to me, the one time I tried it, expecting some sort of gourmet treat. I do NOT like corn meal mush... wasn't impressed with polenta either.

Glad you like it though... I miss my thick cut oats on some of these chilly mornings, but they haven't found their way back into the diet yet.
Yep, you're right, Star.
Polenta is cornmeal boiled in water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine