Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 01:38 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereDoIBelong View Post
I realize that crime is less prevalent in Maine than in other states, but would you say I should consider owning a gun in less populated areas of Maine more so than not?

The areas I am looking at would be north of Bangor and they are all small or very small towns.
I have never owned a gun and don't know the first thing about them, other than what they generally look like.
I was not raised in the USA and so almost everything is new or unfamiliar to me, including the question of gun ownership.

I am really thinking about situations when Police don't get to me in time or there is no time to call the Police.

There are several things you need to find out before you buy a gun. You say you were not raised in the USA but are you a legal U.S. Citizen? I do not live in Maine and I am not totally familiar with that States laws. Any licensed firearms dealer can tell you if you can purchase a firearm legally.

I am a GUN NUT. I grew up with guns and I do a lot of shooting. However if the ONLY reason you have for purchasing a firearm is for self defense I would advise against buying a gun. WHY do I say that? To be safe in handling a gun you should be willing to spend many hours learning how to safely handle and use a firearm. A handgun is even more difficult to master than a shotgun or rifle.

If you think you might enjoy shooting targets or hunting and also want to use a gun for self defense I would say go for it. If you are interested in shooting as a sport or hobby you will be motivated to practice and become proficient.

If you decide against owning a gun look into other ways of defending yourself. Martial arts, dogs and various classes in self defense will give you the knowledge to choose the method best for you. Good luck in whichever method you choose.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 01:48 PM

34 posts, read 71,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
However if the ONLY reason you have for purchasing a firearm is for self defense I would advise against buying a gun. WHY do I say that? To be safe in handling a gun you should be willing to spend many hours learning how to safely handle and use a firearm. A handgun is even more difficult to master than a shotgun or rifle.
I have not indicated, at all, that I would not be willing to learn all about gun ownership, handling, safety, conduct, etc., etc., and to carefully consider all the factors that I need to, before making any decisions.

There have been other conclusion jumping comments made in other replies which fall into the same category as your one above.
It would be best if fellow members stuck to what has been actually requested/written from thread starters, instead of trying to figure out what is going on in the poster's mind and heart.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:52 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,060 times
I have never even considered owning a gun.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:46 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Do you know how to swim? Do you own a fire extinguisher? People die every day in our country because it is not in their thought process to pick up a TV and throw it through a window to get to that nice fresh cool air on the other side of the glass. They die of smoke inhalation instead.

Owning a firearm can save your life. Somebody once asked if I would shoot to kill. My standard answer to that question is, "I would shoot to LIVE!" The time to make that decision is now, not when you are in that situation. The place for the firearm is on your person, not locked up in a safe somewhere. We have the right to bear arms. Beyond that, we have the responsibility to protect ourselves and or families. "Bear" means carry.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I have not indicated, at all, that I would not be willing to learn all about gun ownership, handling, safety, conduct, etc., etc., and to carefully consider all the factors that I need to, before making any decisions.

There have been other conclusion jumping comments made in other replies which fall into the same category as your one above.
It would be best if fellow members stuck to what has been actually requested/written from thread starters, instead of trying to figure out what is going on in the poster's mind and heart.
I think you missed the point of my comment to your original postWDIB>
"...However if the ONLY reason you have for purchasing a firearm is for self defense I would advise against buying a gun. WHY do I say that? To be safe in handling a gun you should be willing to spend many hours learning how to safely handle and use a firearm. A handgun is even more difficult to master than a shotgun or rifle.>>>"

A gun for self defense use is great IF you are willing to spend the time it takes to become proficient and SAFE in using it. Hence my comment about having an interest in firearms as a sport or hobby in addition to self defense use. As an example of my point: Compare the safety record of NRA sanctioned gun ranges versus gun ranges operated by various Law Enforcement agencies in the USA. Compare the accidental discharge rates between the two. MOST but not all Law Enforcement people have absolutely no interest in firearms other than to meet job requirements. Unless a cop has an interest in firearms as a hobby or sport they will usually just spend the minimum amount of time on the range to qualify.

GL2

Old 01-18-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I think you missed the point of my comment to your original postWDIB>
"...However if the ONLY reason you have for purchasing a firearm is for self defense I would advise against buying a gun. WHY do I say that? To be safe in handling a gun you should be willing to spend many hours learning how to safely handle and use a firearm. A handgun is even more difficult to master than a shotgun or rifle.>>>"

But I still don't get what your point is.

Quote:
Compare the safety record of NRA sanctioned gun ranges versus gun ranges operated by various Law Enforcement agencies in the USA. Compare the accidental discharge rates between the two. MOST but not all Law Enforcement people have absolutely no interest in firearms other than to meet job requirements. Unless a cop has an interest in firearms as a hobby or sport they will usually just spend the minimum amount of time on the range to qualify.
I have a low level of trust (bordering on aversion) of anything to do with government, in whatever form. They always seems to be doing the opposite of what they intended and often makes things more complicated, worse or and/or waste money, so even though I would examine facts about every important decision I make (and have done thus far in my life) I would naturally gravitate away from any government or pubic body if given a choice, for the gun question and pretty much anything else.
If the only choice is government in any particular situation/scenario, I might also consider not doing X at all.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:52 AM

Briefly the point I was try to make WDIB is that people who enjoy shooting a gun as their hobby or sport are more likely to learn how to be safe with it compared to those you use a gun in their job or solely for self defense.

If you research the incidents of gun accidents on NRA sanctioned firearms ranges versus the ranges operated by Police and Law Enforcement agencies you will see which group of shooters is safer.

GL2

Old 01-18-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Briefly the point I was try to make WDIB is that people who enjoy shooting a gun as their hobby or sport are more likely to learn how to be safe with it compared to those you use a gun in their job or solely for self defense

OK, so I prefaced my question with "I realize crime is less prevalent in Maine than in other states" because I felt that I might get replies that would be centered or focused on self defense and I wanted to understand the other reasons for owning a gun, in the areas/environments that I plan to live in.

I think with this being a text only medium, this subtly has been lost and wasn't my intention.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
... I wanted to understand the other reasons for owning a gun, in the areas/environments that I plan to live in.

I think with this being a text only medium, this subtly has been lost and wasn't my intention.
Our constitution was written with the people having a right to bear armaments. It does not specify whether this was meant for hunting or self-defense or anything. From the writings of those authors it seems obvious that the primary reason for such a 'right' is to allow the people to defend themselves from the government when it turns tyrant.

Generally I am an advocate of firearm ownership. However I have served a few years doing Law Enforcement duties, and I have witnessed trained professionals who themselves were afraid of firearms and I saw for myself that they became a far greater danger because of it. As compared to others who enjoyed guns.

This is why I do not advocate for everyone to own firearms. I understand that people who do not like firearms are not benefited by owning one.

As I explained previously I consider firearms as tools; as much as hammers and saws, axes and machetes. I use a wide variety of tools, and that includes firearms.

If you have any desire to become familiarized with firearms and their usage, you are welcome to swing by my place.

As others have said, a Safety Course is a good idea.

Also the Appleseed events are fantastic learning opportunities.

Welcome to Maine

I hope that at some point you do give it a try to see if you like shooting. But if you do not that is okay too.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:12 PM

151 posts, read 199,106 times
Default Coyotes ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Take some training before you buy a weapon then. It may not only save you but ohters as well. Plus, you'll get some idea of what not to carry as well as what to carry and shooting it.

There are those that feel that when seconds count, the police are minutes away. I've never felt the need to own one like the other posters, but I do know folks here that work in the woods and feel they need to carry because of coyotes. It's a personal choice. Just get trained and knowledgable on it first. My opinion only
I don't think you will have to be worried about coyotes, how many people in Maine were killed by coyotes in the last 100 years? about as many as were killed by wolves I suspect.
I'm also very surprised on this forum by the amount of people that do NOT own guns, I was amazed.
How is that expression : "People with guns kill people" sorry Charleton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine