Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 05:06 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times

Advertisements

Maine is a "must issue" state. You apply and if you are not a felon or adjudged mentally ill you get a CCW permit in 60 days or less. Carry what you want. I have never heard of a limit on how many you can carry. Not many people carry more than two. I only know one peson who carries in a boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 05:34 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
I had a Maine CCW the entire 20 years I lived there. Never heard of a limit on the number either.

As for the silencer and machine gun, anyone cannot just pop into the gun shop and pick one up. You have to have a federal ATF form 4 and have it signed by the chief of police. Then the $200 excise/transfer tax on top of the purchase price.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:01 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
I guess you live in Illinois or DC or are just unaware of your state's self defence laws. [and at 70 you SHOULD know better]
You are scary because you seem to be just hoping someone will come into your house so that you can blow huge holes in them and kill them.

Even the police don't have this attitude. The know how to use weapons and they train with them, but they don't come across as if they are pushing for a fight where they can be tough and shoot someone. One wonders how tough you might be without your BIG GUN. Real toughness has nothing to do with one's ability to kill people with big guns.

I know guns(even used to have a CCP), but I also know about the extreme sadness in taking human and animal life, even lives which might be in a better use. Your view is calloused and often indicative of someone who has never had to go through the wrenching interpersonal struggles after taking a life. Its not for nothing that police are required to get professional counseling after any shooting incident, especially if a death is involved. My father struggled mightily with the necessary killing that he had to do in WW2, and his was, like you say, in defense of self. I don't believe he ever fully came to grips with it.

Last edited by slyfox2; 01-30-2012 at 10:10 AM..

Old 01-30-2012, 12:58 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
You are scary because you seem to be just hoping someone will come into your house so that you can blow huge holes in them and kill them.

Even the police don't have this attitude. The know how to use weapons and they train with them, but they don't come across as if they are pushing for a fight where they can be tough and shoot someone. One wonders how tough you might be without your BIG GUN. Real toughness has nothing to do with one's ability to kill people with big guns.

I know guns(even used to have a CCP), but I also know about the extreme sadness in taking human and animal life, even lives which might be in a better use. Your view is calloused and often indicative of someone who has never had to go through the wrenching interpersonal struggles after taking a life. Its not for nothing that police are required to get professional counseling after any shooting incident, especially if a death is involved. My father struggled mightily with the necessary killing that he had to do in WW2, and his was, like you say, in defense of self. I don't believe he ever fully came to grips with it.
You are SOOO wrong!! I have had the misfortune of having to stop someone. [It was pure selfdefense I took no joy in it BUT when someone is gonna kill you you need to kill them first]. I've been thru the counseling deal and I'm fine. I had no sadness because the jerk could have walked away but HE chose to try to kill ME. Just because I'm prepared to defend my home and family doesn't mean I'm hoping someone will try to break in. [THAT is like saying someone with a fire exinguisher or a first aid kit is hoping they have a fire or a bad injury]. My dad ALSO was in WW2 and killing the enemy never bothered him as they were trying to kill him and his buddies. When someone is trying to kill you, you MUST do anything and everything to protect you and your family be it two legged or 4 legged dangers. If THAT fact really bothers you then just curl up in a corner somewhere, and die. because when it happens MOST invader WILL kill you and or do horrible things to you and your family. They are animals [sometimes worse then 4 legged ones]. I feel sorry you feel this way I'm sure you'll make a nice victim.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:25 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,282 times
Is owning a gun in less populated areas of Maine advisable?

Why stop at less populated areas?

Why stop at Maine?

If cops feel the need to carry a gun where you live, do you think criminals only shoot at cops?

Old 01-30-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
You are SOOO wrong!! I have had the misfortune of having to stop someone. [It was pure selfdefense I took no joy in it BUT when someone is gonna kill you you need to kill them first]. I've been thru the counseling deal and I'm fine. I had no sadness because the jerk could have walked away but HE chose to try to kill ME. Just because I'm prepared to defend my home and family doesn't mean I'm hoping someone will try to break in. [THAT is like saying someone with a fire exinguisher or a first aid kit is hoping they have a fire or a bad injury]. My dad ALSO was in WW2 and killing the enemy never bothered him as they were trying to kill him and his buddies. When someone is trying to kill you, you MUST do anything and everything to protect you and your family be it two legged or 4 legged dangers. If THAT fact really bothers you then just curl up in a corner somewhere, and die. because when it happens MOST invader WILL kill you and or do horrible things to you and your family. They are animals [sometimes worse then 4 legged ones]. I feel sorry you feel this way I'm sure you'll make a nice victim.
Wow!

Wonderfully well said.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:03 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Wow!

Wonderfully well said.
Thank you.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:06 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I know a lady who had her arm torn off by a pit bull last year. She was not carrying at the time. When a pit bull attacks you don't have the option of going somewhere else, finding the key to the gun cabinet, finding the ammunition and loading it into your firearm. You need to be good to go when the unexpected happens. What if it is your three year old? What if it is your grandchild?

Calling the dog warden isn't going to solve the problem either. Half the time they show up unarmed. Then they call the game warden who is off investigating a moose/car accident. This stuff happens. It is up to us do deal with it right then.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I know a lady who had her arm torn off by a pit bull last year. She was not carrying at the time. When a pit bull attacks you don't have the option of going somewhere else, finding the key to the gun cabinet, finding the ammunition and loading it into your firearm. You need to be good to go when the unexpected happens. What if it is your three year old? What if it is your grandchild?

Calling the dog warden isn't going to solve the problem either. Half the time they show up unarmed. Then they call the game warden who is off investigating a moose/car accident. This stuff happens. It is up to us do deal with it right then.
Excellent point about the pit bull.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:52 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
There must be some really rough and wooley parts of Maine that are like the old west where everyone carries a six-gun to protect themselves from the varmints, but 2 and 4 legged, that are everywhere, and where they is no JOHN LAW to speak of.

I've found the people and the circumstances of Maine to be the absolute nicest most caring and well-behaved people of any state I've ever lived in. I can't even imagine the stories that might require me to become so paranoid that I would be going everywhere carrying a concealed weapon to protect myself.

I feel only the most sincere gratitude for not having to live in such a wild place, and the most sincere sympathy for anyone who must live there and can't be in a place that is more caring and supportive---like the places in Maine that I have lived and visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine