Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:05 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
Can my 10-22 have a 15 round clip loaded during hunting season, even though I'm not hunting?
IF you're in the woods you ae considered hunting. BTW it would be a 15 rnd MAG not clip
I can't have a loaded 10-22 hanging in the back window, even with a ccw permit?
I don't believe you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 11:50 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
Nope. No loaded rifles in vehicles. That includes ATVs and snowmobiles.

And clownshoes, you can have your large magazine loaded to capacity on a range with targets set up during hunting season. This could be on your property. You can't have it in the woods if it is ABLE to have more than 5 rounds. In other words, you can't hunt with a removable magazine capable of holding more than 5 rounds. Tubular magazines are exempt. Many old 30/30s can hold more than 5 rounds. All .22 tubular magazines can hold more than 5 rounds. They are OK. It's the removable magazines.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 01-29-2012 at 11:59 AM..

Old 01-30-2012, 12:20 AM

346 posts, read 786,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Nope. No loaded rifles in vehicles. That includes ATVs and snowmobiles.

And clownshoes, you can have your large magazine loaded to capacity on a range with targets set up during hunting season. This could be on your property. You can't have it in the woods if it is ABLE to have more than 5 rounds. In other words, you can't hunt with a removable magazine capable of holding more than 5 rounds. Tubular magazines are exempt. Many old 30/30s can hold more than 5 rounds. All .22 tubular magazines can hold more than 5 rounds. They are OK. It's the removable magazines.

I've always had the urge to try out that rifle rack in my back window instead of hanging hats on it. I guess it'll remain a hat rack.

Glad you mentioned ATV's, I guess that Kolpin gun boot will have to retire as well.

I won't be in the woods during hunting season either, just didn't want to get jammed up if I was target shooting or anything.

Thanks again~!

Last edited by ClownShoes; 01-30-2012 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-03-2012, 09:06 AM

Don't retire that Kolpin gun boot. The game warden might ask to see what's in the gun boot and if the rifle is loaded. Don't take the rifle out of the gun boot and load it while sitting on that soft seat. You can't have a loaded rifle while in or on a motor vehicle.

This applies to boats too. It's OK if your canoe has no motor, but if there is a side bracket and a motor on your canoe you can't have your rifle loaded. You can float down a stream and hunt for deer. You just gan't have the motor attached to the bracket. Take the motor off and lie it in on the floor of the canoe.

Sometimes people ask me why I hunt from a canoe. I have never had to drag a deer uphill to a canoe.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:57 PM

163 posts, read 295,384 times
Quote:

Sometimes people ask me why I hunt from a canoe. I have never had to drag a deer uphill to a canoe.
NMLM I love it!!

Old 02-03-2012, 02:15 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
... And clownshoes, you can have your large magazine loaded to capacity on a range with targets set up during hunting season. This could be on your property. You can't have it in the woods if it is ABLE to have more than 5 rounds. In other words, you can't hunt with a removable magazine capable of holding more than 5 rounds. Tubular magazines are exempt. Many old 30/30s can hold more than 5 rounds. All .22 tubular magazines can hold more than 5 rounds. They are OK. It's the removable magazines.
So on my land, I can use a bigger mag, but only if it is not hunting season?

Old 02-04-2012, 08:40 AM

428 posts, read 553,929 times
Default From the IFW Website

The 5 round semi-auto rifle magazine rest6riction does not apply to .22 rimfire or auto-loading pistols with barrel length of less than 8 inches. Also, the 3 round shotgun limit only applies to migratory bird hunting.
Hoping to try out my new C93 (HK33 clone) with 40 round magazine today!

Last edited by kevin5098; 02-04-2012 at 10:03 AM..

Old 02-04-2012, 01:25 PM

"So on my land, I can use a bigger mag, but only if it is not hunting season?"

You can use a bigger mag with center fire rifles if you are banging away at targets on a range during hunting season. That applies to your land, my land or somebody else's land. I have a range at my camp.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:22 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times
There's no actual law at all against carrying a firearm in the woods during hunting season in Maine, even on Sundays. They have to prove you're hunting. But they're saying they're going to take you having a gun in the woods as evidence you're hunting, which is absurd. If some nasty game warden pushes that nonsense, though, you'll need to fight it, maybe even to federal court (i.e., civil rights violation). The problem is no one with the money and will to fight it has been targeted yet with that nonsense. Essentially, unelected bureaucrats have stripped the people of their right to carry a firearm during hunting season, and have gotten away with it because no one has fought it. WI's DNR did something similar in recent years but lost, big...

And don't even lean a loaded rifle against any motor vehicle, the law on that says "on" and "in" so it's not just having one in the vehicle that's illegal...

Old 12-31-2012, 07:08 AM

346 posts, read 786,183 times
I just stumbled across this old post, and this came to mind:

Can I have an unloaded rifle in the back window of my truck?
Can mags be loaded and in the vehicle, or is that a no-no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine