U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-05-2007, 04:38 PM

19 posts, read 30,630 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, my first post, I think this is only the second forum I have ever joined but after reading all of the information from all of the "Mainers" I learned a lot and hope to get some more info on moving to Maine.

I first visited Maine in 1987 and fell in love with the state. I have been back several times since mostly in the southern region but I want to move my family from NJ to Maine but I am not sure exactly where. Gorham sounds great but what about jobs? I have been a paramedic for almost 20 years and I have not seen a great deal of paramedic jobs offered in Maine. I am also wondering about the cost of living, I would expect it to be much better than in NJ but is that true?

I currently work 2 full-time jobs to support my family, I am hoping to move to Maine and cut down the amount of work I have to do and to and enjoy all of the outdoor life Maine has to offer. I don't need anything fancy, like shopping in the local stores, (don't really like the large stores or malls), hiking, fishing, mountain biking, snowmobiling, going to bed with only the light of the moon and the sounds of nature. I was brought up in the country so that is what I am used to.

We would like a decent size piece of property, good schools, safe neighborhoods with friendly people, and a not so busy life style.

Any help is appreciated.

Troy
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 06:00 PM

21,872 posts, read 28,669,930 times
One of the other posters was saying that when he called a few employers looking for employment as an EMT, that he was told Maine has a severe shortage of EMTs.

I would recommend that when you are looking, do not stop until you has at least gotten North of Augusta.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:09 PM

7,392 posts, read 8,524,301 times
Me too! we like the slower pace here ....we actually know an EMT from our area that commutes for his EMT shift in Bangor each week--he spends the night right at the station. My suggestion would be to choose some areas and make some phone calls....the phone call suggests true interest

Old 09-05-2007, 08:29 PM

2,349 posts, read 3,518,235 times
I was an EMT in Ma and leter moved over to LE working out of state before moving to Maine. I think United Ambulance base in the Lewiston Auburn area is one of the finest outfits I have ever seen. Professional, good pay, and, I assume after talking to the men and women that work there, good working conditions.

I think there are the usaul opportunities to work the ER for the hospitals too. I can't imagine pay being as much as it is down there but i think considering the COL if pretty decent.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:45 AM

5,054 posts, read 8,101,341 times
Check out this site: Welcome to Maine EMS Web Site

Our family is moving to Maine as soon as our house sells. DH is an EMT-I, and he has done a bit of research already. He's talked to several people who run the various regional EMS divisions, and they have all said they can't find enough people to keep all positions filled. The lady in Bangor told him the other day that they are about to have a huge recruiting drive in the area.

He also learned that most of the positions aren't listed anywhere in the typical job ads you'd expect to see. She said to call each office that you're interested in applying with. Also said the private services pay higher and have better benefits - pretty much the same everywhere, I'd imagine. I know it is here in Texas.

If you go to salary.com, you can do a simple cost of living comparison between two major cities. The only cities listed for Maine are Portland and Bangor, so take your pick!

Hope this helps get your search started! Good luck and see you up there!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:33 AM

2,349 posts, read 3,518,235 times
On an another note. Lewiston fire dept, when the rest of the country was moving forward with the changing times and becoming involved in EMS Lewiston's UNION didn't want the extra responsability. Well, here we are today and the dept has a 1/4 of the fires it used to have, so now to justify its own existance it wants to start handeling EMS calls. The city is selling the idea that it could expand the amount of full time firemen, and that running the ambulance would pay above and beyond the cost of the expansion.

On a personal level I couldn't be happier with the services UAS(united ambulance) provides. I think its a shame when an expanding government agency wants to push out a private sector business just to expand their agency and beef up their calls for service. Just My thought.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:45 AM

19 posts, read 30,630 times
Thumbs up Thanks for all of the info

All of the information is very helpful, thanks everyone. I have already called a company, (Northstar) about a job posting and I will follow up with some of the other suggestions that were made and I am going to look into flight medic jobs as well. I am not sure if it matters but down here in NJ there is a big distinction between EMT's and Paramedics, so when you say that there is a shortage of EMT's does that apply to Paramedics as well?

Thanks again for all of the info.

Troy

Old 09-08-2007, 08:50 PM

11,141 posts, read 11,203,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineorbust! View Post
All of the information is very helpful, thanks everyone. I have already called a company, (Northstar) about a job posting and I will follow up with some of the other suggestions that were made and I am going to look into flight medic jobs as well. I am not sure if it matters but down here in NJ there is a big distinction between EMT's and Paramedics, so when you say that there is a shortage of EMT's does that apply to Paramedics as well?

Thanks again for all of the info.

Troy
good luck troy!

Old 09-15-2007, 01:28 PM

34 posts, read 56,855 times
The Bangor area would be great in that you can work in Bangor and go north or to the coast to enjoy the outdoor activities. There are some snowmobile trails in Newport and good fishing, too. Have fun!

Old 09-15-2007, 02:51 PM

581 posts, read 66,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineorbust! View Post
...and I am going to look into flight medic jobs as well.
Here's a link to LifeFlight of Maine, our airborne critical care transport system: https://www.lifeflightmaine.org/default.asp (broken link)

employment link: https://www.lifeflightmaine.org//employment.asp (broken link)

Last edited by DavidoftheNorth; 09-15-2007 at 03:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine