Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 05:30 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times

Advertisements

I would miss the North Atlantic Blues festival in Rockland, the American Folk Festival in Bangor and of course Common Ground Fair.

I am a country boy, don't like cities at all BUT Portland is the only city I enjoy going to so I would miss that. The indie theater The Movies with it's $1.50 popcorn, The awesome vibe you experience when you walk around the Old Port in the early eve, the old architecture is amazing, the cobblestone st, north end of Fore St(I think), alittle annoying to drive on, to be honest, but nice to walk by. The cool shops(2 awesome toy stores) and Eastern Promanade. The incredible tromp lei building(Post Office Park?), the Museum of Art(it's free for cheapskates like us on Fri). I could go on and on. I split my time right now between Vermont and Maine so when I am back in Maine the 20 min drive to downtown Portland is a must.

I would also miss the locally owned hardware stores like Freeport Hardware, Mid Coast Hardware and Maine Hardware.

The great ice cream places Beals Giffords, Lil's, Handy Andy, Toots, Tiger...

Sorry for the long post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 06:49 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Down pillows and comforter, waking up in the morning with the windows so frosted you can't see out and running downstairs to the kitchen where breakfast was cooking on the woodstove, watching meteor showers in a sky jammed with stars (no light pollution), fog rolling in from the bay and the sound of the foghorn, the 5 & 10 and the Western Auto next to the Esso station (put a tiger in your tank), and more I'll probably remember later.

What I *don't* miss: running out to the outhouse in Winter, the smell of the cannery and dead fish on the wharf (I hate fish/seafood), breaking my back in the fields during the blueberry harvest (but it *was* good money for a kid who was willing to work hard).

Old 09-06-2007, 07:02 PM

494 posts, read 1,349,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Down pillows and comforter, waking up in the morning with the windows so frosted you can't see out and running downstairs to the kitchen where breakfast was cooking on the woodstove, watching meteor showers in a sky jammed with stars (no light pollution), fog rolling in from the bay and the sound of the foghorn, the 5 & 10 and the Western Auto next to the Esso station (put a tiger in your tank), and more I'll probably remember later.

What I *don't* miss: running out to the outhouse in Winter, the smell of the cannery and dead fish on the wharf (I hate fish/seafood), breaking my back in the fields during the blueberry harvest (but it *was* good money for a kid who was willing to work hard).

UGH...I used to rake blueberries too...that was torture!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:04 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
me too! vowed I would only EVER do it again if my kids were starving....and I mean it....worse thing I've ever done and I was horrible at it!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:12 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,394 times
One step up from clamming...

Old 09-06-2007, 07:17 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
i would miss seeing fields and trees after a fresh snowfall,,all white and pretty, id miss the low traffic levels,,,when ya gotta go shopping ,,you dont have to wait in traffic,,,and getting home quickly at night not in traffic jams.
id miss,,driving on the back roads of maine, not knowing what you'll see,,whether its a deer in the field,,an eagle, turkeys, a moose, coyote or fox,
id miss driving in western maine,,seeing the mountains,,,visiting the coast where i grew up,,,
and most of all id miss the people of maine, i drive around most of the state of maine every day in my work,,walk into stores, and perfect strangers say hi,,,you see folks offering an elderly lady to carry her groceries to the cars (other customers) just to be decent,,courteous,
and just this morning,,believe it or not in the town of caribou,,an elderly man ,,insisted, on helping a pregnant woman,,carry something to her car,,(she didnt know him)
i've lived here my whole life,,and cant remeber a time i had to look over my shoulder,,or felt uncomfortable,,,(like the time i drove thru brooklin n.y. and stopped at a gas station)

if you were stranded on the side of the road,,car broke down,,you dont have to worry about someone trying to rob, you or car-jack you,,not even a thought,,
i cant imagine living day to day ,,avoiding certain places or neighborhoods,, because of crime,, always being paranoid,,,looking over your shoulder,,,,just in case ..
99% of maine,,,you can come home from work, leave your keys in your car,,,not lock your door, and dont have to worry about being broken into, robbed, or worse,
and 99% of maine,,if neighbors, friends or family, saw someone breaking into your home,(very rare),,theyd get involved,,,no fear of gangs/ mobs up this way.
thats what id miss if i ever left maine,,,,and,,the four seasons,,,love all of them!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:21 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
You're all making me so homesick! I'm going to bed to dream....'night all!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:27 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
nice post MBM!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:34 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
You're all making me so homesick! I'm going to bed to dream....'night all!
dream on,,dream on,,dream until your dreams come true!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:55 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,083 times
great posts MRVphoto and MBM!

We do miss locally owned hardware stores are wonderful. The empoyees are so helpful and knowledgeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine