Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 06:07 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,362,900 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite thing about a New England fall? You guys realize that all of us "wannabes" have to live through you till we get there!! And what is your favorite fall activity? Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 06:41 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,963,550 times
Elcarim

Autumn in New England means to me.....

From the third week of August on, the 'air' and' light' begins to change.
The sun is not as strong, the air is cleaner, and with sunset occurring earlier, and with morning light coming later something in my body clock senses a change.

By this time the summer heat begins to fade, and the flowers begin to look tired, and you begin mentally to prepare for Autumn.

Labor day passes, its September now. Wow it is getting darker earlier! When you move here from Texas, the declining sun in the sky will be very noticeable, in late summer. Going from the lower 30s in latitude to the lower to mid 40s is a profound change.

The trees are beginning to change here even in CT- the 'stressed' ones especially- though it is mostly still green. The weather in September can be warm still- we had 2 90 degree days last week. But some needed rain today- and turning much cooler- 70s by day, 40s by night.

For me its still 'summer' wearing shorts, enjoying the balmy weather, without the heat and humidity of mid summer.

At the supermarkets and farm stands, corn stalks and pumpkins are for sale- (a good year for them) They are huge and plump. Scarecrows, Indian corn, Mums- all signs of Autumn here- these icons of autumn appear in New England magically on September 1st.

As September progresses the first cool air arrives. Time to consider buying some new Fall duds- Prepare the garden for autumn. Get the car checked for winter also.

By October 1st, the autumn air begins to really set in, the sun has lost much of its strength. The trees in northern New England are near peak. Here in eastern CT more color is showing up in the lowlands, among the swamp maples, and birch. In the day time it may still reach 70 degrees or more, but nights can become chilly- with light frosts beginning.

I take a drive to the Rhode Island beaches in October. I love the deserted beach and rough surf this time of year. A sunny cool windy day- is wonderful, but even a cloudy blustery day has a mood and color that is sharp with vigor.

Autumn color peaks here in inland Connecticut around October 19th. The sugar Maples go fast- then the oaks- it all over for the most part by Halloween. A wonderful experience here- I carve my Jac O Lantern- put it on the front porch with a candle every year.

Early November can still be mild, in the 60s, but the scent of death from the fallen leaves and plants fill the air with a musty melancholy-and make me sneeze! November light is fleeting here, with earlier sunsets- long nights, and late sunrises. Our famed 'Indian Summer' days can bring hazy sun and warmth, but quickly change to rain and cold to chilly dark blustery forbidding weather when some good wine and comfort food enhance your spirit.

By late November the chill sets in for good. Its the gray stick season now.
Thanksgiving brings a festive relief to the late autumn shortened days.

Last edited by skytrekker; 09-11-2007 at 06:55 AM..

Old 09-11-2007, 06:46 AM

145 posts, read 337,185 times
Default missing New England autumns

Yes , Please!! I am so dissapointed that I have to miss another fall in the north.Maybe we could put a few pics on of the foliage? whad'dya think?

Old 09-11-2007, 06:51 AM

145 posts, read 337,185 times
skytrekker, that was a really vivid and almost poetic post! Thanks, confirms why I can't wait to come back to NE.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:17 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,471,627 times
Well I don't live in Maine.. I'm down in NH but the leaves are changing here and I'll post just a couple "starting" autumn pictures I took. One of ems a bit blurry sorry bout that.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/DCFC0010.jpg (broken link)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/redfern.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-11-2007, 08:19 AM

Wow! You so appeal to my more sensitive side!! I'm teary. You guys HAVE to quit doing that to me. You just can't imagine the strong desire in my heart to be there - right now - how can I wait another minute???

Sky, you are most definitely a writer, and how beautifully that scene was played out! Thank you.

Yes, photos, please everyone!

Old 09-11-2007, 08:22 AM

That's alright, Tomsgirl. I asked for NE, not just Maine, because I know we have a lot of you folks on the board! We can't ALL live in ME - it would be too crowded. Very nice pics, thanks!!

Old 09-11-2007, 09:52 AM

Forest, as a recent transplant to Maine - more recent than most - I'd love your impressions of the falls you've enjoyed so far.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:14 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,331,977 times
Right across the street from me is a maple tree that is very pretty every fall. I can take some photos of it and post them as it progresses.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:22 AM

263 posts, read 613,677 times
My favorite things about fall are....

Clothes! Cleaning out the closets. Weird?

Yard work! Raking leaves (and stuffing them into an old pair of pants and plaid shirt to make a scarecrow.) The kids jumping in them.

Cool evenings around the fire pit roasting marshmallows/Smores!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine