U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-20-2012, 02:06 PM

5,648 posts, read 7,545,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have been offered GMO sugar beet seed.
From a seed catalog such as those we're talking about?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 02:31 PM

21,654 posts, read 27,573,754 times
Not a Burpees catalog.

A flyer I got in the mail led to a website. I think 'they' are trying to develop 'better' strains of GMO sugar beets, with each successive tweek the previous stuff gets sold to empty the warehouse. It is marketed as deer-feed. To hunters, to get them to scatter GMO seed in the areas where they prefer to hunt.

My point was meant to be that some GMO companies do not hold a tight grip over what they have made, and average Joe can get some. Thereby further scattering GMO pollen.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:19 AM

48 posts, read 47,425 times
Fedco out of Clinton and Pinetree out of New Gloucester. Great selection, awesome prices, and Maine-hardy.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:09 PM

13 posts, read 8,236 times
Orchard House Heirlooms, and Johnny's.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:18 PM

753 posts, read 819,366 times
GMO=genetically engineered organism=GEO

On page 18 of this year's Fedco catalog
(http://www.fedcoseeds.com/forms/sds34_cat.pdf - broken link), in the paragraph titled "Supplier Code," it reads, "We do not offer genetically engineered varieties, although we purchase from corporations engaged in genetic engineering" (Fedco Seeds; 2012 catalog; page 18). In other places on their website you will find the disclaimer that "we do not knowingly sell GMO seeds."

I don't have a beef with Fedco; I buy most of my seeds from them. But I am struck by the language they feel is necessary; I also wonder why it's necessary. Seems like such statements wouldn't be necessary unless there was a doubt/ possibility that GEO seeds were being packaged & sold unlabeled as such.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:35 PM

21,654 posts, read 27,573,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
GMO=genetically engineered organism=GEO

On page 18 of this year's Fedco catalog
(http://www.fedcoseeds.com/forms/sds34_cat.pdf - broken link), in the paragraph titled "Supplier Code," it reads, "We do not offer genetically engineered varieties, although we purchase from corporations engaged in genetic engineering" (Fedco Seeds; 2012 catalog; page 18). In other places on their website you will find the disclaimer that "we do not knowingly sell GMO seeds."

I don't have a beef with Fedco; I buy most of my seeds from them. But I am struck by the language they feel is necessary; I also wonder why it's necessary. Seems like such statements wouldn't be necessary unless there was a doubt/ possibility that GEO seeds were being packaged & sold unlabeled as such.
Fedco is trusts their seed suppliers [since most of them are Certified Organic].

Fedco does not do any genetic testing of their seed.

MOFGA on the other hand does testing [but only sporadically].

I was told that at one time FEDCO and Johnnys had made statements that neither would do business with anyone who knowingly dealt in GMO. As time went by, it became harder to hold that stance. So their stances were softened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine