U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 02:39 PM

21 posts, read 41,733 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I'm looking to move to Portland to go to law school, but not sure where to move to.
I need to be in a decent school district as I have a son who be entering high school by the time we move.
I'm looking to get/build a home in the $275-350k range on at least 2 acres, but I DO NOT want to be near the beach, as we prefer the "woods".
I'm VERY concerned about property taxes and am wondering about what areas are the more "FISCALLY conservative" neighborhoods, the ones who are keeping their eyes on budgets, taxes, etc. Are there ANY fiscally conservative areas near Portland ? I'd like to live about 30 mins to Portland.
We're moving from the West and have no idea what to expect from Maine, but we really loved it and the people were lovely, the few times we visited there!
We've just started our search, so we know we're asking a lot here, but believe that if one wants to know about a city, talk to the people, not real estates agents...so you all are my pre- real estate agents ! lol
Thanks "Mainians" (?) for your help !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 07:42 PM

1,834 posts, read 4,406,868 times
Although some on this forum will disagree, real estate agents are people too. Each town (not county) has its budget which is paid for by property taxes and state subsides. The towns with the higher taxes tend to have the more desirable school systems and the converse is also true. You will have to decide which is more important to you. For example, Scarborough, a town 10-20 minutes from Portland, is looking at a significant increase in property taxes. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:58 PM

9,777 posts, read 14,959,939 times
Take a look at the Berwicks. North Berwick, South Berwick etc.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:09 PM

1,834 posts, read 4,406,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Take a look at the Berwicks. North Berwick, South Berwick etc.
Nice area, but not a 30 commute to the law school in Portland.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:51 PM

359 posts, read 266,589 times
Buxton, Hollis, Gorham.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:22 AM

828 posts, read 1,449,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Nice area, but not a 30 commute to the law school in Portland.
All depends on how fast you drive I made it from Portland to North Berwick in 29 minutes once [That is a ride I'll never foget!!]

Old 04-07-2012, 03:20 AM

18,362 posts, read 23,541,961 times
I was going to have some input, but being a real estate agent, I'm sure it would be biased, and self-rewarding, so I will restrain

but if I wasn't a real estate agent Id offer this
portland is a great city for many people-it's maine's largest, it's also the liberal mecca of maine, so do your due diligence- towns have different milrates for property taxes-we've had multiple threads on property taxes, and I believe someone posted a list of what the town's milrates are, however, that person may have been a broker, so you wouldn't be able to believe that info
-being a real estate agent

I came back from boston yesterday, and traffic was moving right along, from kittery to portland- the left passing lane was averaging 85 mph, I usually try to keep my 74 mph, but yesterday I followed the massachusetts speedway north

Old 04-07-2012, 05:22 AM

1,698 posts, read 2,960,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
All depends on how fast you drive I made it from Portland to North Berwick in 29 minutes once [That is a ride I'll never foget!!]
woow0o... call me when your on the road, I'll be be on the shoulder. Or if we leave at the same time, will race for pink slips.

I was only thinking - isn't a bit difficult to get something like that with out high taxes just the same. Most people that work in Portland want the same thing.
I would expect about the same... a bit more 40+min.drive for a possible location. but... are you sure you don't want to rent for a year to know the area first?

Old 04-07-2012, 08:06 AM

828 posts, read 1,449,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
woow0o... call me when your on the road, I'll be be on the shoulder. Or if we leave at the same time, will race for pink slips.

I was only thinking - isn't a bit difficult to get something like that with out high taxes just the same. Most people that work in Portland want the same thing.
I would expect about the same... a bit more 40+min.drive for a possible location. but... are you sure you don't want to rent for a year to know the area first?
I was't driving. I was a passanger. ome of my friends and I had to go to Portland fopr some stuff and as we were leaving he got the brilliant idea ot see how fast his car would go. I sat in the passanger seat holding my breath half the time and panting the rest. [his youger brother was in the back seat had his eyes closed the whole way so he wouldn't see a thing]

Old 04-08-2012, 09:59 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,176,408 times
Going to law school....Portland area, period. Don't buy, rent until you get a feel for the area. Each town has it's own flavor, and attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine