Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:38 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times

Advertisements

Uncle Henry's has been a real life saver for us on several occasions (no, I don't work for them), such as the free snow tires I mentioned in another post. We've sold a few things through it, too, although I'm afraid the scam artists are going to ruin it if they can't be stopped somehow.

Have you used UH? What has your experience been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 10:58 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
My lawnmower crapped out a few years ago and I found a nice used thru UH from a retired lady that just moved into a retirement community up in Cooks Corner so she didn't need it anymore. Worked out great! Sold a few things as well. It's just like any classified thing alittle due diligence helps to ensure a good deal.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:03 AM

191 posts, read 518,922 times
Someone suggested we pick one of these up when we were scouting properties this summer. We didn't find anything for us but but I can see why others find it helpful. When we eventually get moved up there I'm sure I will pick it up from time to time. It's got a little of everything in it. I'm still browsing through the copy we brought back.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:24 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I have used it for many things from a farm tractor to dog collars. I have never known of a scam pulled through Uncle Henry's. However, I have always taken direct delivery on my stuff. I go get it.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:26 AM

454 posts, read 885,923 times
My fiance and I were settled in Maine about two weeks when he brought UH home. He ended up finding rims for his truck that were hard to find, and I love checking out the cornucopia of goodies, (and oddities)...and some of the ads crack me up! It's like ebay in print....you can find just about anything if you look hard enough

Old 09-15-2007, 11:30 AM

10 posts, read 70,605 times
I've used it - years ago I advertised a $900 item and someone came out from Western Maine and bought it. It was a hard to find item, that's why he drove so far.

My only problem with it is that everything is so far away - not much in Washington County. But that isn't Uncle Henry's fault!

Old 09-15-2007, 11:57 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
I have bought a few items from UH's, but they mostly end up being from people either on my island (a car, a washing machine, a tv) so I pretty much know who I'm dealing with, but a few other things (furniture, kids stuff) I haven't had problems with. But as mentioned, I wouldn't likely buy anything that I didn't go and pick up myself.

I buy it religiously every Thursday, along with our local newspapers- even if I'm not looking for anything, it's fun to read over the weekend.

I like listening to the Swap Shop on 103.3 Sunday mornings, too. It's like Uncle Henry's Live.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:01 PM

581 posts, read 712,748 times
UH is a very important element of commercial activity in Maine. Take a peek: Uncle Henry's They don't call us yankee traders for nuthin'!

Old 09-15-2007, 12:11 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
ive advertised and used it many times,,,,
was selling a motorcycle 2 yrs ago, and this young lady from belfast came down,,,i suggested she try it out,,so she did,,pulled out of the driveway ,,and dumped it right in the middle of the road,,,she was ok,,,and ended up buying it,,

i visit the uh website alot,,search for specific items,,

Old 09-15-2007, 12:13 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I have bought a few items from UH's, but they mostly end up being from people either on my island (a car, a washing machine, a tv) so I pretty much know who I'm dealing with, but a few other things (furniture, kids stuff) I haven't had problems with. But as mentioned, I wouldn't likely buy anything that I didn't go and pick up myself.

I buy it religiously every Thursday, along with our local newspapers- even if I'm not looking for anything, it's fun to read over the weekend.

I like listening to the Swap Shop on 103.3 Sunday mornings, too. It's like Uncle Henry's Live.
i think thats called the ..new deal,,or something like that,,,i like to listen to it also,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: