U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:46 PM

15,420 posts, read 21,591,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Don't mean to rain on your parade but I would seriously suggest renting a house for a year so you can explore the area and really find out where you want to settle, and also go thru a winter or two to see if you really want to live in Maine year-round. Maine is a beautiful place but one that is often "romanticized" and the reality of moving from SoCal to Maine could be a shock, both weather wise and culture wise.
That is very true. Many people from the "Sunbelt" don't adapt well to the extreme changes in daylight between Summer and Winter as well as the "colder" temperatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 04:55 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,102,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
I love Maine! We live in NYC but my husband's job will come to an end before end of Summer (his company was sold and we won't relocate to Texas). Maine is one of the places we are thinking of depending on employment availability. Probably easier for me since I've done every type of office job whereas my husband has a specialized computer background. Any ideas as to which City in Maine would be our best bet?

Probably Portland.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:37 AM

20 posts, read 18,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Bangor International is actually a surprisingly substantial airport. I don't do much air travel but I've seen recently, while looking at flights to Dallas for a trip of mine, that their prices are below every airport nearby. I looked from my home region too (Buffalo/Rochester/Erie PA) and all their prices were more expensive, and almost half the distance! $300 round trip from Bangor to Dallas. Granted, it's only one example but I think Bangor is in a very sufficient position - possibly just as good as the Jetport. You should look into that if you are considering coming out further east.

A lot of the islands off the coast of Rockland have some considerable art communities. I'd bet some of those are more seasoned, solitary people though. Back down here the roads are empty so hopping from the 1 to the Airline (9) to Bangor should only take 1:45 or so.
I was surprised by some of the prices I just found in a quick search for airfares. Thanks for this!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
jadefox -

I am from California. We decided to move to Maine after I retired.

We like the kayaking, hiking, seashore, winter activities, and natural beauty.

This morning I saw my first eagle of the season

I wish you luck with your move
Where in California were you?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I like the damariscotta area, wiscasset is nearby, so is boothbay harbor, pemaquid point, christmas cove
bath, new harbor
all beautiful areas!

here is a video I got off youtube, of pemaquid point lighthouse-right on the ocean, you can drive right to it
Maine - Pemaquid Point Lighthouse - YouTube

below is a short video of south bristol, of the draw bridge to the island and the harbor-christmas cove is on the other side of the island

Swing Bridge South Bristol, Maine - YouTube

below is a video of boothbay harbor, another beautiful area

Boothbay Harbor, Maine - YouTube
Thanks. We too like Damariscotta and are looking at a couple properties there. What about Waldoboro?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Don't mean to rain on your parade but I would seriously suggest renting a house for a year so you can explore the area and really find out where you want to settle, and also go thru a winter or two to see if you really want to live in Maine year-round. Maine is a beautiful place but one that is often "romanticized" and the reality of moving from SoCal to Maine could be a shock, both weather wise and culture wise.
No rain!

Keep in mind we are transplants to California from the east coast, and I have lived most of my life in New England, Scotland and Wyoming, so I think we are being realistic about the winters (although I know our blood has thinned ater 8 years in SoCal...lol). We have talked about renting, but we can't bare the thought of moving twice (moving our stuff is one thing, but moving my wife's studio is another). Do you get the sense the housing market is poised to come back? If so, this could be a good time to get into the market, even if we decide to move down the road, right? ...or maybe we should rent...

Old 04-19-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is very true. Many people from the "Sunbelt" don't adapt well to the extreme changes in daylight between Summer and Winter as well as the "colder" temperatures.
Understood, but I think we're being realistic about the climate, given that we are transplants to SoCal. I did live in Scotland for many years after all :-)

Old 04-19-2012, 03:03 PM

21,917 posts, read 28,851,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadefox View Post
Where in California were you?
When I was a child, my family had almond orchards and cattle near Modesto. My eldest sister has grapes near Keyes [they supply Gallo's operation in Livingston]. One set of grandparents had a section they ran cattle on near La Grange [currently underneath Lake Don Pedro] and a dairy in Riverbank. I was in Fresno for college, and spent a couple years in Upper Lake milking goats.

You mentioned Scotland. I served 5 years on a boat that only surfaced in Holy Loch, Scotland. Then later I was stationed on a repair ship in Holy Loch for 3 years. We owed a home there, my Dw operated a laundry-service and a catering business, and our son attended public school in Dunoon.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
When I was a child, my family had almond orchards and cattle near Modesto. My eldest sister has grapes near Keyes [they supply Gallo's operation in Livingston]. One set of grandparents had a section they ran cattle on near La Grange [currently underneath Lake Don Pedro] and a dairy in Riverbank. I was in Fresno for college, and spent a couple years in Upper Lake milking goats.

You mentioned Scotland. I served 5 years on a boat that only surfaced in Holy Loch, Scotland. Then later I was stationed on a repair ship in Holy Loch for 3 years. We owed a home there, my Dw operated a laundry-service and a catering business, and our son attended public school in Dunoon.

May I assume you keep bees as well? :-)

Old 04-19-2012, 03:15 PM

21,917 posts, read 28,851,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadefox View Post
May I assume you keep bees as well? :-)
People do make that assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: