Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 03:04 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,370 times

Advertisements

I live Downeast and was wondering - where is the best place to go to get a vehicle inspection? Is there some place easier than others? Are there any that don't require an appointment? I am trying to see if there is someplace where I can get in quick and get out quick. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 03:51 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Must be a garage there in Lubec. They all have to look at the same things. I'd check at a local shop and it doesn't hurt to build up a good relationship with a local garage.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:30 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Coreys, Baycity Mobil, Curtis', Advanced Auto, or Pratt.

I am sure I forgot someone though.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:32 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Must be a garage there in Lubec. They all have to look at the same things. I'd check at a local shop and it doesn't hurt to build up a good relationship with a local garage.
Indeed. About 5 miles outta town. I think it's the only one for much more than that as well.

I was just curious if there were any others. I'm actually only a short-term member of this wonderful community (not saying building relationships is a bad thing, just not necessarily top priority )

Old 04-19-2012, 03:32 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Indeed. About 5 miles outta town. I think it's the only one for much more than that as well.

I was just curious if there were any others. I'm actually only a short-term member of this wonderful community (not saying building relationships is a bad thing, just not necessarily top priority )
Riverview Auto, in Pembroke, has always treated me very well.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:24 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
You gotta take some time to get to know the garage and the people there. it helps if you find one of their other good customers and are able to tell them that that other customer recommended them because they do great work and are honest as the day is long---in the summer!

When you first take your car in for an inspection. Drop it off and tell them that they should fix anything that is wrong with it for the inspection. The inspection takes more time than they get cash for doing it. If they think you are shopping around for the best deal, don't expect them to give you the best deal. Make sure they know that you are their customer and that you will bring all your work to them. Bring your car in for an oil change every three thousand miles like clockwork so they get to know you.

If you do this, then you will get along great with your mechanic. After all, they will need to become one of your family if you have a car. Cars cost more than kids.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:09 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Although I agree that having a "relationship" with a garage will increase your chances of being treated fairly, you have to understand that there is an inherent conflict of interest in play here. You are asking an operation that makes most of its income from repairing cars to look for a problem in yours. I'm not saying people are dishonest, but people are people, and there is a lot of money to be made repairing vehicles you have inspected but didn't pass.

So, I just follow a couple rules. I NEVER have my car repaired where it is inspected. If there is ANY question about the need for a repair, I try someplace else. For example, I took my car to be inspected at a neighborhood garage and he said one of my tires was worn on the edge and had to be replaced. Of course they volunteered to replace the tire. I looked at the tire and thought the wear to be minimal, so I took the car to a tire store and they passed it. I took my motorcycle to a dealership for inspection and they said the fork seals needed replacement. The fork seals were two months old. I took it to someone else and they passed it. Need more examples?????????

Old 04-20-2012, 09:45 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I NEVER have my car repaired where it is inspected.
I disagree. If your service station is honest, and they know that you will be coming back again and again, then they know that your car WILL break down and wear out. And they know that they will be the ones to fix it.

And if they are honest then, they will pay attention to the welfare of your car and you, and will repair it honestly. However, if you don't have an honest garage or can't find one, then go with Bangorme's technique.

Me? I go with somebody local that everybody knows. Maybe in a big city like Bangor you don't have that neighbors helping neighbors feel. But in my small town in Maine, that's exactly what I have.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:05 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Maybe in a big city like Bangor you don't have that neighbors helping neighbors feel. But in my small town in Maine, that's exactly what I have.
One of my examples was in Bangor, one in Caribou.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:26 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
I go to a local guy for repairs that I can't do myself (for either a lack of time, tools, or specific knowledge). He charges 1/3 (or less) than other shops like VIP or a dealership and derives a certain amount of income from my patronage. He knows that my vehicles are reasonably well repaired as far as safety is concerned and, in turn, may 'overlook' certain little things that aren't going to kill or injure myself or others.

Bigger shops are hit or miss as to how they operate. In the past, for one reason or another, I've been to all 3 of the VIP shops in the area. There is one that I absolutely will never allow to work on my vehicles- because I went there for an inspection and they told me that I needed to have my front rotors replaced because 'they were rusty'. This lie might have worked on another customer, but the fact was that I knew it was a lie because I had put brand new rotors on myself only two months before. Their operation is markedly different from the other 2 VIPs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine