U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:06 AM

14 posts, read 22,799 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are seriously thinking of moving to Southern Maine. He's actually interviewing for jobs, so it's a definete possibility.

We live in South Florida, and I've been here my whole life. He's from NJ. I realize the climate will be a big adjustment for me, but my greatest concern is for our two kids (aged 4 and 8). We want to leave Florida for all the reasons everyone knows about. It was good when I was a kid, but I don't think it's what I want for my kids anymore.

So here's the thing keeping me awake at nights...is Maine the right place for us to raise our family? Will our kids be happy there? Is there a future there for them, or will they run for the border as soon as they turn 18?

I would truly appreciate any thoughts, from Mainers or those who've relocated!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 09:21 AM

228 posts, read 20,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswiz View Post
My husband and I are seriously thinking of moving to Southern Maine. He's actually interviewing for jobs, so it's a definete possibility.

We live in South Florida, and I've been here my whole life. He's from NJ. I realize the climate will be a big adjustment for me, but my greatest concern is for our two kids (aged 4 and 8). We want to leave Florida for all the reasons everyone knows about. It was good when I was a kid, but I don't think it's what I want for my kids anymore.

So here's the thing keeping me awake at nights...is Maine the right place for us to raise our family? Will our kids be happy there? Is there a future there for them, or will they run for the border as soon as they turn 18?

I would truly appreciate any thoughts, from Mainers or those who've relocated!

Thanks
I am going to give you my honest opinion and it will not be somthing that everyone agree's with but it is MY opinion. I am 52 born and raised here. Maine on the whole harrasses teenager's small kid's they love. And the chances are when your child graduates (if he/she does they will leave the state because the job's are not here for them. But this is only my opinion.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:30 AM

6,256 posts, read 8,060,400 times
Kids can grow, learn and play safely. We lead the nation in educational achievement. The flip side is that primary wage earners can make more money elsewhere in the same job. It's a values based decision that you face. I have some Idea about where you are now. Maine is like a whole different world, a Norman Rockwell type of place with four real seasons. Don't be intimidated by winter. We get through it every year. Most schools build five "snow days" into their schedules just in case. We usually don't use them all and the kids get out early in June.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:48 AM

7,392 posts, read 8,469,412 times
I'm a mom of 4, and a step-mom to 3 grown boys. Two of my step-sons opted to move out of state. One is a teacher who lives in New England, but prefers the higher teaching wages he makes in a nearby state. My other step-son moved away for the new experience of a large mid-west city. My step-son that stayed in state is a teacher in southern Maine. The reason I am telling you this is because no matter where you live, you can't plan for your adult children to live nearby. They will want to grow, and move, and explore--if YOU'VE done your job as their Mom. You don't have any control over that. What you can control is the type of childhood you provide. In Maine they will have every opportunity as they do elsewhere in the states, BUT they will be safe to explore those opportunities. Your 8 year old will want to walk to a friend's house, and you will want to call to make sure he/she got there for your peace of mind, but that want will not come out of necessity. If you want your children to grow up in a place where you know your neighbors first names, people smile at you in the local store, where the educational system is good to outstanding, and outdoor activities are endless, then this is your place.

Last edited by mollysmiles; 09-17-2007 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-17-2007, 10:52 AM

2,094 posts, read 4,519,933 times
Many points to you Molly, loved your post.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:02 AM

42 posts, read 66,234 times
Molly,

I don't think it can be said any better then that........the bottom line is (hopefully) as parents, you want to put your kids in the best possible position so they can succeed in whatever they chose to do with their lives. If they grow up in a safe and loving home in an area where they can be themselves and can get a great education, that's about the best you can do. From there, you have to let them go and realize that no matter where life takes them, they can always come home.

I was on active duty in the Air Force for 14 years and I'm in the guard now and haven't lived at home for over 20 years....I've lived in dozens of states and in Italy for almost 4 years, but no matter where I may "live", I always feel "home" when I go visit my parents. If you can create that for your kids, it doesn't matter where they end up living.

Hell, if that doesn't work, you can always move and stalk your kids where they end up living.....

VP

Old 09-17-2007, 11:04 AM

5,054 posts, read 8,051,048 times
Yes, all good and all true. I can't seem to give anyone reps today! Molly, Northern, MsIna, Pixie, no-one! I don't know how much further I can spread the love!! Have I tried David yet?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:10 AM

2,094 posts, read 4,519,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperPilot View Post
Molly,

Hell, if that doesn't work, you can always move and stalk your kids where they end up living.....

VP
Hilarious. I just told them that yesterday. We were driving somewhere and they were yelling at me that not only will they not live in the state my husband and I live in, but they are all going to move to separate states so that we can't stalk them. So I simply explained that with them grown and out of the house by then, we won't need such a huge home, we will sell it, buy an RV and spend our lives traveling from one house to the next, living with each of the them a couple of weeks at a time. They hate me now.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperPilot View Post
...Hell, if that doesn't work, you can always move and stalk your kids where they end up living.....

VP
that's MY plan B!! lol....thanks VP!!

and El, I have the same problem with the rep point thing!! makes me want to venture out, rep a bunch of people in another topic, then come back here to give the ones I REALLY care about!!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
...I simply explained that with them grown and out of the house by then, we won't need such a huge home, we will sell it, buy an RV and spend our lives traveling from one house to the next, living with each of the them a couple of weeks at a time. They hate me now.
Pixie, it's gotta be a "mom" thing! I've told mine the exact same thing!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine