Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 10:16 AM

25 posts, read 39,533 times

Advertisements

My family and I are contemplating a move to Androscoggin County and I'm seeing a lot of nice houses in the Auburn area as well as in towns such as Livermore Falls/Mechanic Falls. We're currently living in western MA on the VT border and would like to move somewhere that has the same rural feel but also has some culture and nightlife nearby...although we are used to living in a town that has no post office or stores so we don't neccessarily have to have them in the town we're living, it'd be nice to have something around for the kids (11 and 2) to do as well. School systems in those towns, bad/good? Crime? Economy?
I lived in Maine (Lincoln County) over 20 years ago as a teenager going to North Yarmouth Academy and have some pretty fun memories of the area as well as hanging out in Portland (Forest Ave./Old Port). Granted though that was circa 1991 and perhaps things have changed...I don't recall Lewiston/Auburn as being a really great place back then either. But we like the location of Androscoggin County not only for the cheap real estate but for the fact that we still have relatives in Eastern MA that we visit a few times a year and the county seems reasonable driving distance down to MA as well as somewhat close to a relative up near Augusta.
Anybody want to talk me into/out of moving to that area?

Thanks
Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 07:18 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,389,041 times
Hopefully Mainebrokerman will see your thread and post--he knows far more about the area than me. We live east of the areas you mentioned (closer to Gardiner), and it is very beautiful, peaceful, and comfortable. In addition to Mechanic Falls and Livermore Falls, you might look in the areas around Turner, Greene, Leeds, and Winthrop. Leavitt High School in Turner has an excellent reputation.

Auburn and Lewiston are nice to me, especially when compared to other parts of the country (like...well, never mind ). Auburn has an attractive downtown area by the river, and I go to Lewiston often and never feel unsafe. Great people.

It's a very beautiful area--lots of lakes, farms, views of the mountains, etc. But the entire state of Maine is gorgeous.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:53 AM

19,963 posts, read 30,070,196 times
Auburn has some beautiful neighborhoods

I will quote what someone else said a couple years ago " the neighborhoods around the the auburn exit (95) are very surprising to anyone that hasnt been there"

all depends what you are looking for, Auburn also has many apartment buildings in-town

poland, greene, durham, minot, turner, all nice towns around auburn/lewiston

Old 04-30-2012, 09:00 AM

One house we're looking at is in the Western Promenade area in Auburn...the only thing that concerns me is not so much Auburn which doesn't look terrible but the proximity to Lewiston, which just seems to be plagued with the same problems that all moribund mill towns in New England are vulnerable to and has an underfunded police department doing what they can to try and cope with it. I'm sure it's not THAT bad and everything, I mean I consider South Boston to be not so bad compared to what it used to be and the residents are extremely proud of their hometown, even with it's faults. I'm not seeing that coming from Lewiston though.
We'd like to keep most of the same attributes of the town we live in now, although my wife is leaning towards maybe being a bit closer to civilization which Auburn has. I'm leaning towards more rural areas. I'm self-employed and can work whenever, wherever. She's a PCA and is a little more dependant on populated areas. So there will be a compromise as there usually is. Again Mechanic/Livermore Falls, although a really nice house just came on the market last week in Hudson but that might be a little to north for us.
I do know Gardiner...I used to drive there to get guitar strings from a little music shop on 47 (?) coming from Dresden. Yes I like parts of Maine a lot.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:25 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,070,196 times
rte 27 near pittston,
cant remember the name of the shop,

Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 AM

Me neither...it was a little place on the left set back from the road. Used to like the food at Red's Eats in Wiscasset, little shack next to a hardware store my buddy used to work at. The Cabin in Bath was good too. I'm not even sure any of these places exist anymore...this was over 20 years past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine