U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-28-2012, 08:35 AM

4,916 posts, read 7,510,541 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My car died last week (transmission went out) and we're considering buying a more fuel-efficient car instead of fixing it. Can anyone recommend a car dealership in the midcoast area? We'd be willing to go as far as Augusta and Brunswick. I HATE car shopping, and it would be helpful to at least go to a car dealership with a good reputation. Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 08:59 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,611,548 times
Charlies Subaru, Honda, and Toyota dealers are on the west side of Augusta (on Western Avenue). They have both new and used vehicles. There's also a Kia and Dodge dealer. The Ford dealer is on Route 201, south of the Capitol building and just north of Hallowell. The new Ford Focuses and Fiestas are very attractive cars! I like cars.

There's also Atlantic Motors in Wiscasset. They have an excellent reputation for service and sales of pre-owned cars, though they deal primarily with Mercedes, BMWs, etc.

Good luck with the car shopping! It's actually something I enjoy doing--especially the research.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Charlies Subaru, Honda, and Toyota dealers are on the west side of Augusta (on Western Avenue). They have both new and used vehicles. There's also a Kia and Dodge dealer. The Ford dealer is on Route 201, south of the Capitol building and just north of Hallowell. The new Ford Focuses and Fiestas are very attractive cars! I like cars.

There's also Atlantic Motors in Wiscasset. They have an excellent reputation for service and sales of pre-owned cars, though they deal primarily with Mercedes, BMWs, etc.

Good luck with the car shopping!
Thank you so much! It's funny that you should mention the Ford Focus and Fiestas. Those are exactly the cars I'm interested in! Also the Honda Fit. Thanks again!

Old 04-28-2012, 09:07 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,611,548 times
Might want to add Wiscasset Ford to the list, too. We get a weekly flyer from them in the mail. I read very good things about the new Ford Focuses and Fiestas.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:23 AM

441 posts, read 321,759 times
This site has a good amount of info and reviews you can utilize:

New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com

Old 04-28-2012, 11:45 AM

873 posts, read 567,530 times
I have a Ford Focus ZTW. I love the car but.......

A word to the wise: make sure it has the normal tires, not the low profile tires. These low profiles wear very fast, rarely lasting more than 20K miles, and after about 5K they start to make horrible noise. Get the normal 13 inch wheels with with the normal tires. I have 117K on the car and have replaced the tires 5 times at $400 a pop.

Also, don't get the smallest engine. While it make give you great gas milage, a couple of miles per gallon difference can make a huge difference when drive south where you need AIR and you have to turn the air off on the hills. The 1.9 engine is too small unless you get the 6 speed manual transmission.

Also get the fairly new "dog tags" for the car, when you get the license. They match so nicely. They are the decorative plates with the I love animals or something, and claim they give a gift to the spca, but who knows if they actually do. When they came out, my wife fell for them immediately. I stuck with the Chickadee.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:22 AM

11,143 posts, read 11,203,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Hi all,

My car died last week (transmission went out) and we're considering buying a more fuel-efficient car instead of fixing it. Can anyone recommend a car dealership in the midcoast area? We'd be willing to go as far as Augusta and Brunswick. I HATE car shopping, and it would be helpful to at least go to a car dealership with a good reputation. Thanks so much!
I had to buy a newer vehicle last yr, in a similar situation,
first of all, it is scary (sticker shock) for new or almost new cars.
after some research and prices, I ended up buying a hyundai sonata, 33 mpg - had to buy a mid size sedan, I wanted to buy a corolla, accent, civic or focus

I had a 2002 focus that went 225,000 miles-just didnt like the 50's wide tires
on such a light car-hydroplaned twice when raining

I second the person who said wiscasset ford-they have excellent used prices.
They seem to go on volume,
I dealt with many dealerships when searching at a car, and got frustarated at all of them, I am the buyer, even in this economy, the salesman seem to forget that-

eventually, The car I bought i found on craigslist-it popped up one day, thousands less than anyone else- I grabbed it that day

Old 04-29-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I had to buy a newer vehicle last yr, in a similar situation,
first of all, it is scary (sticker shock) for new or almost new cars.
after some research and prices, I ended up buying a hyundai sonata, 33 mpg - had to buy a mid size sedan, I wanted to buy a corolla, accent, civic or focus

I had a 2002 focus that went 225,000 miles-just didnt like the 50's wide tires
on such a light car-hydroplaned twice when raining

I second the person who said wiscasset ford-they have excellent used prices.
They seem to go on volume,
I dealt with many dealerships when searching at a car, and got frustarated at all of them, I am the buyer, even in this economy, the salesman seem to forget that-

eventually, The car I bought i found on craigslist-it popped up one day, thousands less than anyone else- I grabbed it that day
Thanks for the post! I spent hours online yesterday checking out different car dealerships, and I also found that Wiscasset Ford seems to have the best prices. Not sure yet if we'll go with an economy size car or more of a mid-size. I drive a lot, so I do want to be comfortable. Decisions, decisions!

Old 04-29-2012, 02:49 PM

21,874 posts, read 28,669,930 times
My Dw bought a new car from the Toyota Dealership in Brewer this past fall. She focused on fuel economy. We were both really surprised at how roomy and comfortable the car is.

Two weeks ago we returned from a road-trip for our son's wedding. Down to D.C. to pickup an inlaw, then to Kansas and a few days later back to D.C. and up to here. We did 4100 miles with four large adults plus luggage. No problems on the trip, very comfortable and very good fuel mileage.

My Dw ran back down to D.C. a few days ago, she is doing a few book-signing appearances for a charity and will return next week. She just loves her new car.

Our experience with 'DownEast Toyota' in Brewer has been very good.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:32 PM

11,143 posts, read 11,203,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Thanks for the post! I spent hours online yesterday checking out different car dealerships, and I also found that Wiscasset Ford seems to have the best prices. Not sure yet if we'll go with an economy size car or more of a mid-size. I drive a lot, so I do want to be comfortable. Decisions, decisions!

I looked online too at dealerships- I even read some forums online-best way to buy a car online, so I emailed out what I was looking for- I WANTED PRICES, of course they all wanted me to " come for a look" they wouldnt discuss price online

and it was a pain to "register" all this info with each dealership

if I had to do it again, id be placing a "looking for" ad in craigslist under cars
and stipulate if you cant include a price dont write back

but, you just may get someone that has what you are looking for

also price shop in the newspapers, many people still advertise thier,

do your research, even look in mass. and nh craigslist, at the cars you are interested in-just for cost comparisons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine