U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:26 PM

661 posts, read 418,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanloup View Post
Your post is a bit relieving. In terms of seizing the bull by the horns, I can be ambitious but for the most part, I would prefer something more laid back. I'm from the suburbs, so not much goes on here, and the nature would be a plus as the closest I've been to nature here are the rabbits that live under my deck. I guess I just need to get to know people for the job aspect. But for the most part, I can't say that I disagree with the whole aspect of live and let live, don't be offended by who I vote or where I worship. That is a big improvement from my current part of my home state.
Surprised it hasn't been asked yet: what did you go to school for and what are you looking to do?

No offense, but your lack of 'natural' experience would put you at a detriment to many of the locals in this region. They are hardworking, independent, and probably would make fun of you on end for validating their stereotypes about city-folk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 11:27 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,253,934 times
This thing about Mainers not being friendly.........
I guess some people are spending waaaaay too much time in the two or three unfriendly places in Maine.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 AM

2,922 posts, read 3,221,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I guess some people are spending waaaaay too much time in the two or three unfriendly places in Maine.
'Zactly! They need to get out more to different places.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:27 AM

1,321 posts, read 1,525,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Who said Mainers were unfriendly? I've met very few unfriendly Mainers, but a whole bunch that want to mind their own business, and prefer you do the same. That's not unfriendly. There are parts of Maine that are very hard to break into, mainly because the families have stayed in the area and almost everything they do is family centered (Houlton being the prime example). However, there are plenty of people there that don't have 10 generations in the town and are looking for friends.

However, if you want "friendly" like the midwest, you won't find it here. I have a friend that moved to Maine from the midwest, and could never make the adaptation. He's now happy... in the Midwest.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:14 AM

7,513 posts, read 14,642,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanloup View Post
Alright, I am attracted to the New England area. I have looked and read various things on Maine, but I figure it is better to hear from the people who live there. So I guess I have a few questions:

What is the job market like in Maine?
How expensive is Maine?
How friendly are Mainers?
What is your favorite part of Maine?

Thank you for any responses.

In terms of about me, I am about to graduate from college, so I'm young. I do like the New England area. I am interested in moving. I'm just seeing what state would make a good fit for me I suppose is a good way to put it.
I lived in Portland for 3 years between 2007 and 2010. Prior to that, and outside of a brief spell in Kansas, I have lived in major metropolitan areas my whole life.

1. The job market blows. But that is not to say you won't be able to find a job. However, outside of service/hospitality, the pickin's become real slim. You should also be ready to accept $10K to $15K, perhaps, less in Maine for doing the same job you would elsewhere.

If you want a "corporate" type of job, forget it. They exists, but I think there is a reason why so many people choose to retire in Maine and "move on up".

2. Depends. Housing tends to be cheaper than most states, but food form the grocery store seems expensive. And beer, too. Maine does have many great brewers/breweries/beers...so it is worth it to me. However, I find it interesting that a beer produced in Portland is about $1 more a six-pack than the same beer purchased in Minneapolis. I drank Geary's (and Smuttynose) when I lived in MPLS and I swear those where cheaper there.

Your biggest potential expense might be heating oil. If you pay for it you will definitely pay for it. I got lucky and found an apartment that included heat in with the rent.

3. Depends on where you are and in some cases, what bumper stickers are on your car. Most along the coast and in close proximity to the coast seem to be extremely friendly. Perhaps more so than the rest of the U.S. However there are moments when the lines of friendliness become blurred: are they trying to learn more about you as a person? Generally interested? Or are they mining you for information, trying to figure out your intentions? No matter how friendly, it seems that many (most?) Mainer's have a tinge suspicion towards "outsiders".

Also, Maine can become very hick very fast.

New Englander's in general are aloof, but Mainer's seem less so than other parts of New England....such as Massachusetts.

4. I can't think of a part of Maine I do not like, but I tend to prefer the coast. Midcoast would probably be tops.

Be warned, though, as a young person you might, eh, probably will, be bored to tears. The people in the forum are typically older, either are from Maine or moved here to escape the hustle and bustle of big city life, and/or are retired. You got to be able to do well on your own without most of the comforts of living in a city, even in Portland.

I moved to Maine during my mid 30s, and I was bored a lot of the time, although content.

I would suggest Rhode Island, perhaps, if you want to experience New England.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 AM

7,513 posts, read 14,642,756 times
I should also add that there are some aspects of life in Maine that get overlooked, swept under the rug, ignored, or flat out denied by some posters. I feel it is not my place to lay these out, but the regulars know what I am talking about. What-ever these are won't, or shouldn't, steal from your quality of life in Maine. But they could be an eye-opener.

I only mention this because like you, I came to this forum for information about my up-and-coming move to Maine (that is how I became a member of City Data, by the way). Everyone talked up the positives, and shied away from any negatives. A bit of honesty would have been nice as I had a real eye opening experience my first few days/weeks that seemed the opposite of what posters where saying. It was as if I was in a different state all together.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:18 PM

661 posts, read 418,829 times
Fruits and vegetables prices are higher.

I'm a single 20-something post-grad who moved up here to Downeast; I love the scenery and the freedom and feeling but it is no permanent place for a lower class single young person. I get by keeping busy and enjoying the simple stuff; but if you yearn to be out and about often and go places you'll find yourself going stir-crazy quickly I'd presume.

All utilities seem to be more expensive up here.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:32 PM

2,403 posts, read 1,124,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Please don't lump us ALL into the "like your money, but you'll never be one of "them" category.
Not all of you. But there is an annoying group of you.

Quote:
Now if you're talking about tourists who show up with "Serve me at once you ignorant wench!" attitudes, then yes, we can get a little surly. Ditto for those who show up on the doorstep with some preconceived notion that they're just going to be able to land whatever job they want because they have always been able to land a job anywhere with their stellar work ethics and vast experience.
I moved here at the age of 3, so I've been here for twenty years. This group still considers me an outsider.

Last summer was my last instance of it. Usually two groups. First is those who don't like change (ie. new businesses was the last case. Some old guy was ranting and raving about a lady turning her home into a B&B). Second are those who provide services (plumbers, electricians, landscapers, etc.).

Quote:
I hope you find what you're looking for. You may be surprised that once you're gone, you want to come back when you've retired. Or not.
I like the summers here, and will probably be back for some of those. For a career though, I have to look elsewhere. For my age, I have to also look elsewhere. Twenty years here and I'm bored. Need something fresh for awhile.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:10 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,086,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Fruits and vegetables prices are higher.

I'm a single 20-something post-grad who moved up here to Downeast; I love the scenery and the freedom and feeling but it is no permanent place for a lower class single young person. I get by keeping busy and enjoying the simple stuff; but if you yearn to be out and about often and go places you'll find yourself going stir-crazy quickly I'd presume.

All utilities seem to be more expensive up here.
I'm shocked that Lubec doesn't have a lot of night life.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:16 PM

2,922 posts, read 3,221,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I'm shocked that Lubec doesn't have a lot of night life.
Shocked I tell ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine