Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 03:01 PM

26 posts, read 175,825 times

Advertisements

Alright, I am attracted to the New England area. I have looked and read various things on Maine, but I figure it is better to hear from the people who live there. So I guess I have a few questions:

What is the job market like in Maine?
How expensive is Maine?
How friendly are Mainers?
What is your favorite part of Maine?

Thank you for any responses.

In terms of about me, I am about to graduate from college, so I'm young. I do like the New England area. I am interested in moving. I'm just seeing what state would make a good fit for me I suppose is a good way to put it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 05:17 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Guess it depends on what you do. Overall though, not good. Oldest state in the country, young people are leaving.

Isn't necessarily cheap. Heating in the winter can break the bank.

They get less friendly towards people out of state as you leave southern Maine. They like your money, but you'll never be one of "them"

Can't wait to leave, but I grew up here.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:00 PM

264 posts, read 759,003 times
It's struggling, probably even more so then many other places. You'll find jobs available for specific education, and also many for low pay, but you have to be willing to be flexible, maybe drive pretty far, and get low wages. Also, your competing with many others wanting that same job.

How expensive is Maine?
Maine is a large state.... It all depends how you want to live, what area your looking at and in what type of housing. You'll see 30,000 next to 150,000 + all on the same road. It also depends where your moving from for what you consider expensive to be. If I compare property taxes here compared to NJ where I originally moved from... I am paying 1/6 what I paid there for way more property and more house. If you compare to states that have low taxes, you may say it's expensive.

I have seen many people say that Mainers are not nice to outsiders... however I have had a totally different experience. There are extremely nice, welcoming people, and there are jerks... but MOSTLY... I have never met nicer and more welcoming people in my life. In fact, while shopping the other day, my 14 year old son said "Mom, people are just so nice up here and always trying to help." He has also said many times, how much nicer all the kids in middle school are compared to where we moved from. If you find any place on earth that has NO jerks.. let me know. But Mainers are awesome if you ask me.

I LOVE northern Penobscot county where we chose to live, but I absolutely love pretty much every section of Maine we've visiting so far... The coast has so much to offer, so does northern Maine, so do the western Mountains... You'll find more civilization in southern Maine if that is what you need to be happy.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:16 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times

Let me be blunt: Don't move to Maine without a job already secured here. For at least sixty years, a large percentage of college graduates have had to leave Maine to get established, then work their way back (that's what my father did, and I'm almost 60). Unless you are in one of the rare occupations that is an exception (e.g. Registered Nurse), you are VERY unlikely to find employment here.

How expensive is Maine?

Maine is a poor state, with lots of people on welfare of some sort. So, people can "live" in poverty here on very little.

Mainers are friendly, but aloof.

I love every inch of it, but especially those parts that have low percentages of people from away.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:10 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanloup View Post
Alright, I am attracted to the New England area. I have looked and read various things on Maine, but I figure it is better to hear from the people who live there. So I guess I have a few questions:

How expensive is Maine?

Thank you for any responses.

In terms of about me, I am about to graduate from college, so I'm young. I do like the New England area. I am interested in moving. I'm just seeing what state would make a good fit for me I suppose is a good way to put it.
I will answer from an "outsider's" perspective since I've been here almost a year and will see things differently than home grown Mainers.

Job market? Despite what some may tell you, it is possible to find jobs. The big problem is, who do you know? Now, some will tell you that happens everywhere, and sure, it does but NOT ON THE SCALE IT HAPPENS HERE. My suggestion is KNOW someone here.

Maine is not expensive, despite what some may tell you. The prices are absolutely laughable when compared to some other places in this nation where people have come from. Oh and wages? They ARE comparable, unless you hail from NYC.

The younger generation seems to be very friendly. The older ones...well, they are courteous but I've noticed a cliquish behavior in some parts. The even older ones are friendly as well, and love to talk. I like those types of people. I don't have much care for clique type people.

Bar Harbor is my favorite part so far and considering that one of my jobs takes me all over the state, I think I've seen a fair amount of it in the short time I've been here...although, I have not been up way north....yet.

In terms of you, being young and fresh out of college, would you like it? That depends entirely on your personality. If you are still seeking to seize the world by the horns, Maine is going to bore you.

If you are looking to chill out, relax, enjoy nature and are laid back, Maine is the place for you. It is absolutely beautiful in this state and you can see wildlife all over even in "the city". (Well, I haven't seen wild life in Portland...at least not the type that runs around on four legs.)

It's a heck of a lot more quiet than any other place I've lived, people tend to mind their own, (but that doesn't mean you can't talk to people), no one gives a crap who you vote for, what religion you believe in, so they won't push it on you and you don't push it on them, (which is not to say you can't proudly display a bumper sticker on your car, they don't have to read it if it offends them so badly), and people are, overall, generally helpful if you are lost, or need information. Not every single person in this state is friendly, this isn't utopia, but most of them are.

Having said all of that, I have no idea if this describes Portland...frankly, Portland seems a little different than the rest of Maine. Since I'm over the noise, over people being all up in my daily affairs, people arguing over politics at every single dang gathering EVER, I can say that I'm glad I didn't move to Portland. Were I younger, (I speak only for me), and I chose to live in Maine, I would have chosen Portland because there is a little more going on, more people and it's closer to other areas in New England that are pretty darn cool. But I'm getting older, I'm fricken tired, I'm "over it" and I just want to have some peace and quiet for a minute. And get off of my lawn while you're at it!

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 04-29-2012 at 08:19 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 08:27 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times

Remember that only 1.328 million people live in all of Maine. There are more people living in the city of Philadelphia than the whole state of Maine. This means that the job market is about the same as Philadelphia---except...... That those jobs that fit tightly in the 135 square miles of Philadelphia, are spread wide through 35,000 square miles of Maine. This isn't exactly true since much of the population is on the coast, but depending on where you move this could be true big time.

How expensive is Maine?

Food Prices in my experience are about the same. If you shop at a Walmart, they are about 1/4 cheaper than shopping at a Hannaford or Shaw. If you do your clothing shopping at Reny's you'll do better. If you own your house, you can heat with wood, which is about the same in price but you will need more wood, but not more than you might need in Mokena, Ill, with all those wicked cold storms off the lakes.

Long time Mainers can be standoffish, but only until they get to know you. But there are a lot of people living in Maine who are "From Away"(the weird term Mainers use to describe the tourists who loved the place so much that they gave up their entire lives somewhere else to spend all their time and money in Maine). Those people are very friendly because they remember how it was for them when they moved here from very far away---and every place to get to Maine is very far away. In certain areas, there are more people who emigrated than actual natives. In any case, I have found native Mainers, once they get to know you, to be as friendly as the people from Georgia, which is my gold standard for friendly people.

I live near Ellsworth(fastest growing area in Maine). I love this Downeast area, which runs in my estimation from about Bath northeast along Route 1/3 to Eastport. Lots of things to do; low crime; friendly people. I wish there was a Barnes & Noble in Ellsworth. This about the only thing that I miss from away. But there is one in Bangor, which is pretty close to Ellsworth.

Last edited by slyfox2; 04-29-2012 at 08:37 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 PM

26 posts, read 175,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I will answer from an "outsider's" perspective since I've been here almost a year and will see things differently than home grown Mainers.

Job market? Despite what some may tell you, it is possible to find jobs. The big problem is, who do you know? Now, some will tell you that happens everywhere, and sure, it does but NOT ON THE SCALE IT HAPPENS HERE. My suggestion is KNOW someone here.

Maine is not expensive, despite what some may tell you. The prices are absolutely laughable when compared to some other places in this nation where people have come from. Oh and wages? They ARE comparable, unless you hail from NYC.

The younger generation seems to be very friendly. The older ones...well, they are courteous but I've noticed a cliquish behavior in some parts. The even older ones are friendly as well, and love to talk. I like those types of people. I don't have much care for clique type people.

Bar Harbor is my favorite part so far and considering that one of my jobs takes me all over the state, I think I've seen a fair amount of it in the short time I've been here...although, I have not been up way north....yet.

In terms of you, being young and fresh out of college, would you like it? That depends entirely on your personality. If you are still seeking to seize the world by the horns, Maine is going to bore you.

If you are looking to chill out, relax, enjoy nature and are laid back, Maine is the place for you. It is absolutely beautiful in this state and you can see wildlife all over even in "the city". (Well, I haven't seen wild life in Portland...at least not the type that runs around on four legs.)

It's a heck of a lot more quiet than any other place I've lived, people tend to mind their own, (but that doesn't mean you can't talk to people), no one gives a crap who you vote for, what religion you believe in, so they won't push it on you and you don't push it on them, (which is not to say you can't proudly display a bumper sticker on your car, they don't have to read it if it offends them so badly), and people are, overall, generally helpful if you are lost, or need information. Not every single person in this state is friendly, this isn't utopia, but most of them are.

Having said all of that, I have no idea if this describes Portland...frankly, Portland seems a little different than the rest of Maine. Since I'm over the noise, over people being all up in my daily affairs, people arguing over politics at every single dang gathering EVER, I can say that I'm glad I didn't move to Portland. Were I younger, (I speak only for me), and I chose to live in Maine, I would have chosen Portland because there is a little more going on, more people and it's closer to other areas in New England that are pretty darn cool. But I'm getting older, I'm fricken tired, I'm "over it" and I just want to have some peace and quiet for a minute. And get off of my lawn while you're at it!
Your post is a bit relieving. In terms of seizing the bull by the horns, I can be ambitious but for the most part, I would prefer something more laid back. I'm from the suburbs, so not much goes on here, and the nature would be a plus as the closest I've been to nature here are the rabbits that live under my deck. I guess I just need to get to know people for the job aspect. But for the most part, I can't say that I disagree with the whole aspect of live and let live, don't be offended by who I vote or where I worship. That is a big improvement from my current part of my home state.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:33 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Guess it depends on what you do. Overall though, not good. Oldest state in the country, young people are leaving.

Isn't necessarily cheap. Heating in the winter can break the bank.

They get less friendly towards people out of state as you leave southern Maine. They like your money, but you'll never be one of "them"

Can't wait to leave, but I grew up here.
Please don't lump us ALL into the "like your money, but you'll never be one of "them" category.

I grew up here too and I left briefly before coming back. Where I work, I constantly meet people who travel for work, and most are from "away." I consider that they put their pants on one leg at a time just like I do. In fact, all of us permanent people do.

Now if you're talking about tourists who show up with "Serve me at once you ignorant wench!" attitudes, then yes, we can get a little surly. Ditto for those who show up on the doorstep with some preconceived notion that they're just going to be able to land whatever job they want because they have always been able to land a job anywhere with their stellar work ethics and vast experience.

I suspect (mainly based on the your Spongebob-esque moniker) that you are young.

I hope you find what you're looking for. You may be surprised that once you're gone, you want to come back when you've retired. Or not.

I've seen both those who come back and those who left skid marks out of Kittery and never looked back.

Per usual, I digress...to the OP:

You will find Maine is hurting in the job market (IMO). There are a lot of direct support positions in group homes, many part-time service sector jobs, and seasonal work as well, but a LOT of people I know work more than one part-time job. I suppose in the end, it's what you want to do for a living.

Here's a job link to get you started. Good luck.

Maine.gov: Employment: Job Opportunities

Old 04-29-2012, 08:38 PM

462 posts, read 1,173,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
And get off of my lawn while you're at it!

Old 04-29-2012, 10:23 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post

I live near Ellsworth(fastest growing area in Maine). I love this Downeast area, which runs in my estimation from about Bath northeast along Route 1/3 to Eastport. Lots of things to do; low crime; friendly people. I wish there was a Barnes & Noble in Ellsworth. This about the only thing that I miss from away. But there is one in Bangor, which is pretty close to Ellsworth.
West of Ellsworth would probably be considered to be 'mid-coast', whereas east of Ellsworth would be the true 'Downeast'. You can actually see and feel the difference once you pass through Ellsworth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine