U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-22-2007, 02:21 PM

2,712 posts, read 3,488,475 times
I'm HERE!!! posting via laptop and WiFi from the Bangor library... photos to follow... probably later tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

Tent is set up, my friend is sitting across the table from me at HER laptop and we will be off to dinner when the library closes.

P.S. I navigated to a very off-the-beaten path of the front yard in which I am camped by "following my nose" after getting off 95 well before Bangor, just to drive in the countryside.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 05:19 PM

3,068 posts, read 5,227,189 times
Welcome to Maine, Star. Hope that the job search is sucessful and you will be here fulltime before long.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:45 PM

42 posts, read 57,478 times
Glad you made it there safely, Star. I've been following your story. Have a wonderful time, and best of luck with your interviews.

Keep everyone posted.

Sylviecat ( a former mostly lurker who is finally coming out of the woodwork!)

Old 09-23-2007, 04:49 AM

4,104 posts, read 4,132,383 times
Default Sylvie

Welcome back from the dark side of lurking.

Star good luck on your search. Of course, if it's successful and you can move soon, I'll be so jealous..uh..I mean happy for you.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:44 AM

7,392 posts, read 8,328,627 times
Yea Sylvie! good for you!

Star, good luck! I'm reading along....you have a wonderful spirit to be doing this--very strong....I like that!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:17 PM

2,712 posts, read 3,488,475 times
just a quick note... time on computer is limited since I cannot charge it OR the phone in the car now... the cig. lighter plug, which was iffy, appears to have given up the ghost. So I am limited to the Library and want to spend biz hrs looking for work.

I have a Bangor PO box, visited employment security (for whatever THAT was worth) and am following a few cool threads for jobs. I visited Berg Sportswear in Cornith today... I had talked to Mr. Berg about an opening some months ago, but he was reluctant to try to interview by phone. Unfortunately he is on the road in spring and fall... and it is fall... but I got an app (they never faxed me one) and will keep on him, gently of course. I WANT to work there. It's outside of what most folks wouldn't even call a town. factory plunked down in an "old chicken barn" according to the Mainer sitting on the bench in front of the gas station in what appeared to be the center of town.

Tomorrow I will visit a print shop in Augusta and help my friend rearrange her storage so I can unload my pickup.

Things I have noticed:
you can be driving along on a very country road and see "official" signs (small but visible) pointing to all sorts of businesses in unexpected places... "Joe's Used Cars, 2 mi" down a dirt road; "Ice Cream" 1/2 a mile down another one; "Jones Signs" 2 mi ahead. Cool

You need to PAY ATTENTION driving in Bangor; the "main flow of traffic" meanders about as sometimes it shifts right to accomodate a left turn lane and sometimes it shifts left for a right turn only. the usual signage is arrows painted JUST before the stop limit line! I have had my share of what might have been "Oh S##t!" moments except the traffic is generally polite.

There is NO P in Hampton. It is silent... "Ham-ton" so my friend told me.

They sell alcohol (not just beer and wine) in the supermarkets... or at least in the one I visited in search of eggs and shoe polish and apparently buckwheat is a big thing... something with a French influence?? fill me in here folks! I saw many many different varieties of buckwheat flour and products.

Honey... Blueberry...Cranberry (which i bought some of at the Fair). I do not take honey in my coffee but do in my tea and I am anxious to get home and cuddle up with a teapot!

I'm sure there is more but this is what comes to mind at present.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:25 PM

7,392 posts, read 8,328,627 times
great to hear from you! hope all continues to go well, and you can get the phone and laptop charged....and Star, it's Hampden....you're right on the pronounciation Not sure about the buckwheat, but when I used to go up north my friend's grandmother she used to make ploies (I think I spelled it right?)...it's similar to a pancake, but not the flavor....yummy , and they may be made with buckwheat....? Byand might know!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:29 PM

7,712 posts, read 7,677,845 times
The ploies we grew up with were buckwheat pancakes also

Old 09-25-2007, 04:18 AM

4,104 posts, read 4,132,383 times
Default Star

I noticed all the signs too. Though we haven't traveled a ton, Maine was the only place we saw this phenomenon. Only in Maine can you see an official sign for your little produce stand or mom-n-pop shop. Too cute!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:23 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,574,621 times
Billboards are illegal in Maine Those little signs are as close to billboards as we're gonna get
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine