Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 06:12 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times

Advertisements

Right, you are a Mainah. My dh says he is from away and I said nope. His dad was born and raised in Perry. Makes him a Mainah in my book, though I tease him about being a transplant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 07:24 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
That's funny I have actually said that same thing. Just to show you how friendly people can be, here is a little story that I'd like to share.

Hubby and I were wandering around one evening in downtown Eastport after 5 and most of the shops were closed. We here someone working inside a quonset hut and hubby peeks in the window. The man came out and we started talking. He restores very old vehicles, 30's and 40's, and took us inside to see his pride and joy. He is also a very accomplished woodworker and talked to us for a while about his other projects. He then proceded to invite us to his place anytime we'd like to stop by to see a tree house that he was building. It's in my pics and he and the wife were so welcoming. Of course, this could never happen where I am and just reinforces our decision to move "home" to Maine!

( I know I ramble, right? )

You got to meet Jim Blankman - what a treat, he's the nicest person. Last year in the fall he had a picnic and invited people that he'd never met before. I love his old Sardine Bus and that little teardrop trailer he made from scratch. He's a beautiful woodworker.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:52 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
You got to meet Jim Blankman - what a treat, he's the nicest person. Last year in the fall he had a picnic and invited people that he'd never met before. I love his old Sardine Bus and that little teardrop trailer he made from scratch. He's a beautiful woodworker.
Yep that's him. His wife is too sweet as well. Certainly hope I can afford him by the time we finally get up there. I love his work.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:00 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
How sweet it is! This is refreshing and overdue. (thanks Molly!!!)
I was born and raised here in a family of 8. My first fond memories were spending every waking hour outside-Spring when it finally arrived, mud from head to toe (of course it usually never warmed up till May!) Playing marbles in the side driveway,riding our bikes through all the puddles.
Birds,greening of grass,school almost out,the smells of a new year beginning and the idea that soon we could play in the woods without having to traipse through 5 feet of snow to get there!
Schools out and we are finally free! Fishing in the brooks,ponds and lakes and getting there on our bikes. Arriving home at dusk just in time for a hot home cooked meal. Mom's warm smile asking how many fish we had caught and promising she would fry them for tomorrows supper. After eating, sitting around the TV and watching whatever we could find on our only 2 channels! Riding our bike to the pond to swim with our friends and not a worry in the world! After swimming taking the wild steep ride down and enjoying a coke and one of "Daisy's" doughnuts,Umm...ummm....
The long days soon give way to the last days of summer and soon we will return to school...........

Old 09-19-2007, 02:05 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
I had a great day being home here. I woke up to beautiful weather, jumped in the car to Old Town where I met up with a friend. We drove out to Levant to Rowells farm for Tow-Maters (2 bushel), also got some squash, onions, beets and sweet corn, stopped at a relatives of my friends to check out the new house he's building in Stetson (great house and town) then into Brewer to Save-a-Lot, Bangor to Wal-maht and a break for lunch at O.J.'s. Drove on back to Old Town to Hannafords where I found an apple peeler for 9.99!!!! (a steal) The drive between Old Town and Milo on the Bennoch road was so nice it ended too soon, and here I am. HOME. Groceries and goods all put away and supper cooking. This is the life I enjoy right here.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:20 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post

After eating, sitting around the TV and watching whatever we could find on our only 2 channels! Riding our bike to the pond to swim with our friends and not a worry in the world!
Wow! You had TWO channels? You were lucky. And a bike? You musta been one o' them rich kids. I had to walk everywhere.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:24 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Wow! You had TWO channels? You were lucky. And a bike? You musta been one o' them rich kids. I had to walk everywhere.
One channel until my Dad got off work and climbed the ladder to the roof to adjust the antenna then we had 2!!! As far as the bike went we had to pay for it ourselves-kinda makes a kid want to earn money.Ayup!

Old 09-19-2007, 02:38 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
lol...we had 3, two were out of Saint John NB, and the other was PBS...if the weather was right, we got channel 7 (ABC) out of Bangor!

But, I remember playing outside all day long in the summer...our neighborhood was filled with kids, and we were all around the same age. Most of us still live in Eastern Maine--from that neighborhood came a bank president (here in Maine), a Maine State Trooper, and his two younger brothers, also law enforcement in Maine, a restaurant owner, and her brothers who are 2 of the cooks, here in Maine, two firemen in Maine, an accountant in Maine, an engineer in Maine, a homeland security agent in Maine, two teachers in Maine, and a social worker in Maine. There are two of us that live out of state, one is a major in the Air Force in California, and his brother is a teacher (I think) in Japan. Almost all of us found a way to stay, and wanted to stay. I'm sure some of the reasons are different than others. I think all of us travel, and explore, but for all of us, I think Maine is home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine