Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 12:50 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,424,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Here at camp I have a hawk that visits every morning. I check the mouse traps and put the nice fresh mouse on the wood pile. As soon as I move away he comes down on a low branch. He will yell at me to move away. "Kee, kee, kee." I move back to about 12 feet and he swoops down to get his mouse. I have held the mouse on a canoe paddle and he swoops at it, but he won't take it from the paddle if I'm holding the paddle. I wouldn't try to let him take it from my hand. Have you ever seen the talons on a red tailed hawk? Up close?
NMLM Red Tails are neat. This spring and early summer one would fly down an old twitch road that I'd hike on. Every time I showed up he would swoop down and make his presence known. I would continue walking and he'd fly up the road and land in another tree just a screeching. Down the road a piece I wouldn't see him anymore and figured there must be a nest nearby. Lo and behold later in August I would see 2 Red Tails cruising the sky and you could hear them "talking" to each other. Figure it must be Mom teaching Junior to hunt!

This is a photo I pulled off the net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 05:30 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
I walked out onto a ledge at the shore of a lake with a couple and we watched an eagle take a big pickerel off the surface of the lake. The couple said, "That's a sign from God. We'll buy this land."

Old 09-22-2007, 05:51 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
I used to go backpacking in Baxter every summer. From the first year there, I had a thing about wanting to see a moose. Not having spent much time in Maine up to that time, I thought of moose as really exotic animals, and thought it would be cool to see one up close. So, I was a little disappointed when no moose appeared during that trip. Didn't see any the next year either, or the year after that. Finally, the fourth year, the first day in, a moose showed up around our campsite.

We had pretty much the same group of people each year, so everyone knew about this thing I had about wanting to see a moose. So, a friend of mine got the idea to take a picture of me standing next to the moose. There I was standing just in front of the moose, facing away from him. "Okay, move in a little closer," says the guy taking the picture. "A little closer, okay, good . . ." Then I hear a clomping sound behind me. It happened so fast that it was instinct more than anything that told me something wasn't right, so I jumped forward, and then heard a heavy thumping on the ground behind me. My back had been to the moose the whole time, so I never saw a thing, but everyone told me the moose had reared up and swiped at me with a front hoof. By the time I turned around, he was just standing there placidly, looking as unthreatening as could be.

He hung around the campsite for the next few days and never bothered anyone, so I guess he got spooked by having me stand close with my back to him. Anyway, it turns out that my friend the shutterbug stayed the course with his camera through the whole, um, encounter. Now, stored away somewhere, there's a picture of me, the moment that first look of alarm crossed my face, just before I jumped out ot the way . . . and a big ol' bull moose rearing up behind me with his front hooves waving in the air.

I've seen plenty of meeses since then, and always enjoy the sight of them. Needless to say, however, now I prefer to enjoy them from a good safe distance.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:01 AM

191 posts, read 519,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I walked out onto a ledge at the shore of a lake with a couple and we watched an eagle take a big pickerel off the surface of the lake. ."
We had a similar experience in Ellsworth this summer. We were sitting outside the Union River Lobster Pot when an eagle took a fish out of the river. A little while later some people pointed out 2 seals on the rocks further down. I looked at my husband and said - find me a place where I can see this kind of stuff and we move tomorrow. The one thing we didn't get to see were the loons - I love the loons - I'd love to find a place on a lake with loons.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:59 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,867 times
I see loons in Lake Auburn almost every time I go there.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:23 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,632,596 times
Default I am here ... lurking ... but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
BobTex you have been reading!! good to see you ! and thank you
Also, your post reeks of spiritualness and Indians are tuned in!

It is hard to pass on a wildlife thread. My heart is in nature and obviously Maine is ground zero.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:13 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Also, your post reeks of spiritualness and Indians are tuned in!

It is hard to pass on a wildlife thread. My heart is in nature and obviously Maine is ground zero.
agreed! on both counts!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:45 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
I don't think I mentioned this here yet. If you step outside in a quiet area at night you might be able to hear some of the migrating birds flying overhead.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:57 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I don't think I mentioned this here yet. If you step outside in a quiet area at night you might be able to hear some of the migrating birds flying overhead.
Such a lovely sound - Canadian geese or something else?

Old 09-25-2007, 07:49 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,632,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post

Are we talking wingbeats here or their calls?

Where I live is the destination of a major portion of the Hudson Bay flock of snow geese ... about 4 million birds! BUT, we don't have those big Canadian geese that I saw in Maine! Awesome, stately birds!

See y'all in the Bangor area Thursday night (taking the redeye) ... I'm fired up!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine