Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2006, 07:12 AM

169 posts, read 678,652 times

Advertisements

Hello. I've been looking into moving to Maine for quite some time and have done alot of research, but I'm hoping for some local input on a few places. My husband will be working out of Bangor but we're hoping to live closer to the coast. The two towns that we've been most interested in are Searsport and Bucksport (or anywhere really in that vicinity). I've looked at all the statistics, but I'd love any input on what these towns are really like. We do plan to visit, but any additional info is of course very helpful! I'd love to know what the schools are like and what the commute is really like into Bangor. Also is tourism pretty bad in the summer for this area? If so I wouldn't mind just visiting the coast and living more inland. I deal with tourism year-round where I live now and it's ridiculous. It would be nice to be able to drive to the store without hoards of traffic in the middle of winter. I do realize the cost of living is high in Maine, but that is something I'm willing to live with in order to have a better quality of life for my children. Thanks in advance for any input and/or advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 04:12 PM

439 posts, read 720,780 times
Bucksport is a charming small town with about 5,000 people. There are some nice shops and restuarant, and The ALamo Theatre on Main Street. The town has access to Penobscot Bay via the Penobscot river- and a nice riverside park.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:34 PM

It certainly sounds lovely.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:34 PM

149 posts, read 1,097,654 times
I've driven through Searsport and Bucksport. Don't really know that much about them, but I agree that they look like great towns, at least from the very brief amount of time I spent there.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:39 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,576,825 times
check out the fort knox website it should have some pictures of the surrounding area

Old 09-24-2006, 07:41 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
I've been researching heavily preparing for our "new hometown seeking" trip in March. Searsport is up there on our list from what I've seen online. We've definitely decided to settle somewhere in the vicinity of Bangor, as opposed to Portland. We're escaping rapid growth city life, and so long for a slow, quiet-paced town to raise our family in.

It saddens us that when my grandparents built their home in Houston 56 years ago, they were at the very end of a dead-end dirt road. Now, you can't see the trees for all the slums that have popped up steadily around them. I hate how civilization is choking out nature. It's just not right. I think Maine will totally agree with our mindset!

Old 09-24-2006, 08:47 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,576,825 times
Bangor is not at all like Houston but we do have sprawl. 30 years ago the city watched a big set of cowfields turn into a shopping mecca for eastern Me.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:56 AM

Thank you all for the input. We're all seadogs in this family so we want to remain as close to the ocean as possible. Searsport definately seems charming but we'll just have to see on a personal trip if it's too touristy for us. We definately can't wait to live in a more rural area with lots and lots of green!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine