Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,856,166 times

Advertisements

The mechanics here do the standard maintenance on her; fluids, tires, etc. I would use the dealer for any work outside that type. We've had it for 5 years (it's a 2005) and never had it back to the dealer in that time but for recall things. In-laws have the same model and year. They have had no troubles either; and they are nit-pickers. "IF" it wears out I'd get another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,078,328 times
There is one problem with a Prius, and FB notes it -- it's not a car a shade tree mechanic can work on. Just replacing a burned out headlight bulb requires dropping the bumper. Very poor design in that respect. We've always had ours serviced at the dealership.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:31 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,856,166 times
It used to be Maine was mostly backyard mechanics. Then again, used to be you didn't need a degree in computer science to work on one. If you broke down on I-95 you could usually get it going yourself with some tools, sandpaper and a gap tool. Ahh the good ol' days.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:34 PM

6 posts, read 12,032 times
i go on i95 up in northern maine i do not see a speed limit sign saying 75 mph

Old 06-05-2012, 03:51 PM

37,250 posts, read 60,994,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
The mechanics here do the standard maintenance on her; fluids, tires, etc. I would use the dealer for any work outside that type. We've had it for 5 years (it's a 2005) and never had it back to the dealer in that time but for recall things. In-laws have the same model and year. They have had no troubles either; and they are nit-pickers. "IF" it wears out I'd get another.
It wants to be serviced every 5,000 miles [ it has a flashing warning that it wants to be serviced], we have had our served five times so far at the dealership. Each time it gets an oil change, tire rotation, fluid top-off and check computer codes. All of these servicings have been under warranty [free].

Normally I have never been so religious about tire rotations before. But since it is free, why not?

So long as your mechanic has the computer to be able to turn off the flashing warning that it wants to be serviced, and what not, then I guess it makes no difference.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
There is one problem with a Prius, and FB notes it -- it's not a car a shade tree mechanic can work on. Just replacing a burned out headlight bulb requires dropping the bumper. Very poor design in that respect. We've always had ours serviced at the dealership.
A lot of vehicles have been getting worse and worse each year with their computers, and requiring mechanics to have annual updates to the shop computers to be able to access the codes.

I was under the impression that Toyota had gone way over the top with this model.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:28 PM

6,618 posts, read 13,465,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roozie1 View Post
It's the stretch between Old Town and Houlton.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:35 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,021,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
It used to be Maine was mostly backyard mechanics. Then again, used to be you didn't need a degree in computer science to work on one. If you broke down on I-95 you could usually get it going yourself with some tools, sandpaper and a gap tool. Ahh the good ol' days.
Gap tool? That's what thumbnails are for...unless you've broken it too far down using it as a screwdriver, then you use a matchbook cover- works for plugs *and* points.

Anywho...I might go faster sometimes if gas cost less, or I had enough money that I didn't care but Mensaguy has a good point. It *is* less stressful to cruise easy in the 'slow lane', and the fact is, that's one of the reasons I came back to Maine- to get *out* of the 'fast lane'. I was tired of the 'rat race' and always rushing to get here, there and everywhere. I wanted a slower pace of life and I get it here...hmmmm, maybe this thought needs to get continued on the 'what's it like to live in Maine' thread...

Old 06-05-2012, 04:42 PM

26,377 posts, read 46,260,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Either way, we should see lower gas prices this month. I found regular for $3.599 at Tobey's on Route 3 in China last weekend. Lowest I've seen it in many months. If prices do drop, I'm planning on topping off my fuel oil tank later this summer.
The lowest here in NH is at the Penguin station in Loudon, NH off route 106 at $3.39 a gallon.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roozie1 View Post
It starts in Central Maine, before you go up into Northern Maine. Mile 193 is the first 75mph sign.

From 193 on up to 305 is is 75mph all the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine