Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:06 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times

Advertisements

In May and early June, the deer disappear to have babies. The little herd of 6 doe's that troop back and forth across the beaver lake out front, and through our yard, don't do it then. Yesterday morning one of the does showed up, carefully looking for cars to cross the street onto our property. Following her were something quite unusual: twins. She has TWO FAWNS. There are few places where you can view a mother deer with two fauns about the size of a mastiff trucking across your property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 10:54 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
In May and early June, the deer disappear to have babies. The little herd of 6 doe's that troop back and forth across the beaver lake out front, and through our yard, don't do it then. Yesterday morning one of the does showed up, carefully looking for cars to cross the street onto our property. Following her were something quite unusual: twins. She has TWO FAWNS. There are few places where you can view a mother deer with two fauns about the size of a mastiff trucking across your property.
Plant an area about 10x10 with swiss chard and beet greens and you'll see more than that out there.

"Honey! Get the 30-06!!! Quick!"

Old 06-25-2012, 11:32 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
I don't shoot three foot fawns with anything other than my Canon 50D. And that's not 50 mm.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:10 PM

My point was that more than fawns would be there. As in good size bucks that make for a good roast at the least.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:31 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Plant an area about 10x10 with swiss chard and beet greens and you'll see more than that out there.

"Honey! Get the 30-06!!! Quick!"
My honey would get the 30-30...and point it at me "Don't you even think about shooting one of them!" As far as she is concerned, this place is a wildlife refuge (exceptions being rodents, starlings, crows and grackles).

Old 06-26-2012, 04:14 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
wife-swapping??

you mean like...for a boat or tractor??
Great answer, I am still laughing. Let me tell ya a little story. I was happily married when I first moved up to God's country. Had a fairly decent husband, a beautiful son and we had our own business..a garage/gas station the only one in town. My husband's family all got wind of us moving and thriving up there and pretty soon we had one of them and his wife and kid living with us for a time. The two brothers smoked pot, drank and chased women..something I found pretty hard to tolerate. I ended up tossing them out..the brother and his family. As time went on, things between my husband and I got bad him losing his business to a fire, more drugs, more women and YES this could have happened in the city but it didn't. Soon, his brother and his wife moved up to God's country and had 2 kids. They go camping one year WAAAY back in the woods with another couple and next thing you know they have swapped wives/husbands with this couple..BIG SCANDAL in town. That brother marries his newely swapped wife and his ex wife takes the other guy for her husband..SWAP.
A few more miserable years go by and our son is now 11 years old. His Dad is working abut 45-50 miles North of where we live and decides he is going to stay with his brother who lives in that area..NOT. He actually had a girlfriend at work and had decided to dump me and his son to be with her. So.....off they go to Georgia with her dumping her husband and son to be with my husband. That very night they left her husband calls me up and suggests that I come stay with him and his son. I RAN AS FAST AS I COULD BACK TO THE CITY!! I put over 400 miles between me and all that insanity and never looked back. Burned all those bridges and then some.
Maine?? Some fond memories of fresh air, blue skies, beautiful meadows full of wildflowers and berries, deer, moose and nothing more.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:51 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Great answer, I am still laughing. Let me tell ya a little story. I was happily married when I first moved up to God's country. Had a fairly decent husband, a beautiful son and we had our own business..a garage/gas station the only one in town. My husband's family all got wind of us moving and thriving up there and pretty soon we had one of them and his wife and kid living with us for a time. The two brothers smoked pot, drank and chased women..something I found pretty hard to tolerate. I ended up tossing them out..the brother and his family. As time went on, things between my husband and I got bad him losing his business to a fire, more drugs, more women and YES this could have happened in the city but it didn't. Soon, his brother and his wife moved up to God's country and had 2 kids. They go camping one year WAAAY back in the woods with another couple and next thing you know they have swapped wives/husbands with this couple..BIG SCANDAL in town. That brother marries his newely swapped wife and his ex wife takes the other guy for her husband..SWAP.
A few more miserable years go by and our son is now 11 years old. His Dad is working abut 45-50 miles North of where we live and decides he is going to stay with his brother who lives in that area..NOT. He actually had a girlfriend at work and had decided to dump me and his son to be with her. So.....off they go to Georgia with her dumping her husband and son to be with my husband. That very night they left her husband calls me up and suggests that I come stay with him and his son. I RAN AS FAST AS I COULD BACK TO THE CITY!! I put over 400 miles between me and all that insanity and never looked back. Burned all those bridges and then some.
Maine?? Some fond memories of fresh air, blue skies, beautiful meadows full of wildflowers and berries, deer, moose and nothing more.

It's the water I tell ya.....was feeding a chipmunk all spring and the son-of-a-gun runded off with a red squirrel.....don't drink the dang water here!

Old 06-26-2012, 04:07 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post

I think i've seen most of these characters in a parade

The Annual town of Athen's Parade

Old 06-26-2012, 04:39 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,168 times
hmmm whats it like to live in maine? well lets start with the season's ahhh mud season time to put the sled away and get out the wheeler and play in the mud, then comes fishing season one of my fave's then comes bird season another one of my fave's, then theres deer season yet another fave,and then it snows so we drag the sled out and rider till mud season.now that you have red all of this i coulda just said (living in maine is paridise)

Old 06-26-2012, 05:55 PM

Wow. Ain't seen you for a long while. Good to see you back ranger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine