U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 06:51 AM

1,253 posts, read 963,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Good! I like to keep gardening simple.

That info is correct. The state of Maine allowed that nursery to ship in plants the following year and I'm sure they did again this year. I don't buy any seedlings. Ever. I start everything msyelf and until this year, sold thousands of seedlings each year. I lost all of my tomatoes and potatoes to late blight anyway. Sometimes it doesn't matter how careful you are. We can't control the wind. I lost all of the tomato plants outside last year to late blight when the hurricane blew through and brought blight spores with it. I closed the high tunnels before the wind started and didn't open them unless there wasn't a breeze. I was sick to death of picking tomatoes in October.

IRT stands for infra-red transmissible. It's a plastic mulch bought on a roll. You roll it out, tack it down, burn or cut the holes for the seedlings, and leave down the entire growing season. It helps warm the soil and control weeds. I order it from Fedco or Johnny's.

Yup, all three. It's not a lot of work. It's easier in the warm months. I open their door from the hen house (chickens and turkeys together) to the pen in the morning, make sure they have food and clean water, collect eggs and that's it for the day. I'm lazy so the water pan is under the eaves and gets filled by the rain. If it doesn't rain I fill it with the hose. The hopper holds 25 lbs of food. At night I close the door after they go in for the night, pick up the eggs and that's it. If they're free ranging I keep at least one of the farm dogs with them to keep them safe. Same thing for the ducks that live in the barn, except that they're messy and need their pool cleaned out once or twice a day. In the winter I carry water to them. They get a little more than they can drink if the temp is below freezing. No sense in having to clean ice out of the containers every time I water them.

We did build the barn the ducks are in but the hen house has a story. It's a cabin that we were given to house our Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs. DH and Dad cut a few tamarack trees, some how wedged them under the cabin to make a skid and the next morning, just before sunrise, DH dragged it 1.5 miles to the house behind the truck. I'm sure a neighbor had to look more than once to be sure he was seeing a cabin being towed by a truck, and not a hallucination from the previous night's drunk. I muck the birds' homes out as needed. The meat chickens and turkeys live in chicken tractors that are moved around on grass. If I have an empty spot in the garden I put them on that so that they eat weed seeds, dig up weeds and fertilize for me.
Wow, you must have quite a production of poultry! I wish I could manage this.

Interesting about blights! Tell me, where do you sell your seedlings. I might want to buy some 'start overs' from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:29 AM

5,662 posts, read 7,688,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
Wow, you must have quite a production of poultry! I wish I could manage this.
Not at all. It's enough to feed my family along with turkeys that might outlive me. The oldest turkeys (Bourbon Reds) will be 11 next month. I'm running an old age home for birds. We have a duck that is 11. We have seven laying hens, seven turkeys and eight ducks. I raise 25 meat chickens and 3-6 broad breasted white turkeys a year.

Quote:
Interesting about blights! Tell me, where do you sell your seedlings. I might want to buy some 'start overs' from you.
I sold at a local store and from my greenhouse. I made a career change from farming to full time writing and didn't renew my greenhouse license for 2012. You can root suckers from tomato plants you have now for new plants. It's much faster than growing from seed.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:21 AM

1,253 posts, read 963,139 times
MW -- you mentioned "tunnels" a propos of tomato growing. What are tunnels?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 AM

High tunnels are unheated hoop houses placed in the garden. Plants are grown in the ground, and can be harvested year round if you grow the right things. This was taken July 5 a few years ago. I didn't have the heart to tear out the beet greens. The tomatoes and cucumbers are pruned to two main stems and clipped to twine. You can see the twine if you look closely. This one is 13' tall, 1000 sq ft. I have three of them totalling 2,500 sq ft. I usually pick the first ripe tomatoes the third or fourth week of June.

Beet greens, tomatoes and cucumbers

Plants grow from mid to late February through the middle of December. Certain greens will hold through freezing and thawing and can be harvested all winter. The ground freezes about a foot in, more this winter because we didn't have insulating snow around the bases. Tunnels don't have to be this big to be useful. My smaller tunnel is 500 sq ft, homemade and works just as well. I'd show that but it's in dire need of a new cover and looks embarrassingly ugly right now.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:23 PM

727 posts, read 467,898 times
Are these tunnels home made or store bought?

Old 06-11-2012, 02:46 PM

The Quonset shaped tunnel was a kit purchased second hand. The taller tunnel was purchased from Rimol. My smaller tunnel is homemade and works just as well. We built all three. You can build hoop houses from PVC or heavier duty conduit. They're fine for three seasons but don't stand up in heavy snow.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:27 PM

10,998 posts, read 10,982,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
The Quonset shaped tunnel was a kit purchased second hand. The taller tunnel was purchased from Rimol. My smaller tunnel is homemade and works just as well. We built all three. You can build hoop houses from PVC or heavier duty conduit. They're fine for three seasons but don't stand up in heavy snow.
if its 20 degrees out in january mid day and the sun is out-whats the temp inside the tunnels?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:53 PM

If the wind isn't blowing, 60-65* in the taller tunnel, 65-70* in the shorter, longer tunnel at ground level. The temp climbs slowly, lasts a couple of hours at the highest temp and plummets as the sun sets.The soil temp is 45-50*.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine