U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 10:56 AM

123 posts, read 244,681 times

Advertisements

if i want to raise meat goats and i only want to keep them for 6-7 months say from June to November. bring in young goats in June raise them till Oct-Nov then sell to slaughterhouse. has someone doing something like this in Maine?. are thier any slaughterhouse in Mid Maine area?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 01:09 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,513,685 times
I'm not aware that there's much of a market for goat meat in Maine outside of the halal markets in Lewiston and Portland. Are you sure you have a market for the goats?

If you're planning to sell the meat outside Maine, you have to have them processed at a federally licensed and inspected slaughterhouse, and I don't think Maine has one. At least, the folks who are raising grass-fed beef in Maine have had to transport their animals out of state to find one.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:34 PM

36 posts, read 48,458 times
We have raised goats for meat and milk for over 10 years. If you are trying to do this as additional income, the way to start would be to research raising goats. Then, planning for market, there are actual times to breed so your kids are the right size to be appealing to that particular market. Let me find the chart....Here is one. Goat Consumption Holidays - Hoegger Farmyard
Then, usually the ethnic markets want to butcher the goat themselves and if you provide a place to do that, it will increase demand for your goats. This can be a simple area with place to butcher, wash up, keep clean and easy for you to clean as well...They aren't going to make a mess and leave it.
If you want to be a meat goat breeder, its a pretty cut throat business that is fraught with bloated prices and secrecy (not unlike many other industries, I am sure). Do not pay thousands of dollars for a single goat and learn about contagious diseases before buying anything. Many meat goat sellers will tell you that *every* meat goat has such and such disease, but this is untrue and once you get it in your herd, it is even in your soil and barn.
Anyhow, long story short, if you want to sell meat goats on the hoof, you could find a hauler who picks them up from your farm and you get paid per pound. Just be ready before you buy them.

Amy J

Old 06-14-2012, 12:53 AM

18,350 posts, read 23,519,650 times
A few yrs back a store owner in Orono asked me if I knew anywhere that he could buy goat meat-at the time..very limited,

things may have changed in a few yrs-demand is going up

Id give herring bro's (guilford) a call and ask them, they would know who in the state is processing if any (ask for tom or trey)
they are a federal beef processor/slaughterhouse in central maine-they do a lot of local beef critters and pigs,

also, you can check with curtis custom meats in warren
and bisson and sons in topsham

they have been asked this question many times, so they should have good answers

Old 06-14-2012, 05:40 AM

123 posts, read 244,681 times
thanks for response, it is just a though since i planed to be in Maine for summer and fall to clear tree seedling and brushes. many goats keepers get rid of young bucking in spring for very cheap, may be i can let them help with brushes and fat them up with addition grains ready for market before the winter set in.
if it not enough demand for goat's meat in mid Maine may be is not a good idea after all.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:12 PM

36 posts, read 48,458 times
That is a great idea! You don't want to grain them though. They get stones in their urethra and it plugs up..nasty. It's a buck thing. The cause is an imbalance of calcium to Phosphorous and is caused by grain...There is always the outside chance that they wont live long enough, but why chance it? You could be weathering them (castrating) but it does set them back a tiny bit in poundage. Probably not noticeable unless you are a big time meat producer where every ounce is charted. But weathers wont get musky, and you open the market up to sell them to homesteaders as well...Ethnic groups usually don't want them castrated or disbudded though, so know your market.
If you are clearing brush and trees you will have all the good stuff anyways. Goats don't eat grass unless pushed..they are not grazers, they are browsers so trees and weeds and twigs and bark and shrubs and leaves...The market in the Fall will be flush with goats that people are trying to get rid of before paying to feed them for the winter. NOT that you shouldn't do it! Just know that you aren't the only one with that idea and the price isn't optimal for you.
Call around and see if there is a meat hauler. You will have the best of both worlds: You let them browse for free and then they get hauled away and you get paid. Easy.

Amy J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine