U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-18-2009, 12:11 AM

1,254 posts, read 3,468,752 times
Cool Mid-Coast

I'd say the Mid-Coast area...--

its a bit quieter but has some nice habor towns and still within an hour or two of Portland - Augusta--and Down East Acadia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 06:02 PM

30 posts, read 45,731 times
Default Get me back home now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoundtofindME View Post
You can take the lady out of Maine, but you can't take Maine out of the lady. I'm sure they'll be fine with it!!

Ha ha! So true! I am new to the forums but have enjoyed reading all the posts on this thread....you could say that I am having a sort of long distance love affair with Maine. I was raised in Maine for the majority of my childhood but moved to California to live with my Mom when I was 15. I have been visiting the rest of my family in Maine every year since then. About 3 years ago, my husband (native Cali. boy) and I decided we needed a change and it was a toss up between Hawaii (where his Dad lives) and Maine (where my family lives). Well, Hawaii won at the time but now my husband and I want to move to Maine, especially since we have 2 children now and I want them to grow up near my family and have the kind of childhood that I did in Maine. My husband is a little worried of the kind of reception he will receive as "an outsider" but reading some of the replies on here have helped to remind me that Maine definitely has some of the friendliest people!! Also, he is an XRay tech and is worried about the job market. Can anyone offer any input as to some of the best hospitals/medical centers. We are thinking of the Portland area but I grew up in midcoast area (Searsport/Belfast). My hubby doesn't want to live anywhere to rural but I don't think we have to be complete urbanites either. Any suggestions? In the meantime, I am going crazy lusting for the time when I am able to move back to Maine!

Old 08-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Status: "You cant have any pudding if you dont eat you meat" (set 4 days ago)

10,718 posts, read 10,566,599 times
i like the bristol ,pemaquid area,
miles memorial hospital is in damariscotta,
new harbor, pemaquid point, christmas cove, boothbay harbor are all nearby

Old 08-29-2009, 08:32 PM

92 posts, read 144,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
You're right. Who wants to read a ten page diatribe on how poorly this State treats business. The truth is simple and straight forward...Maine is NOT a business friendly state, there is little argument on that point and anyone considering starting or moving a business to Maine would most likely do better elsewhere.
Whether it's true or not, the impression that the state is 'business hostile' does resonate and those businesses (unfortunately) DO look elsewhere.

One of these days Augusta will figure out the best thing about doing business in this state is the people that live here, and 'sell the state' accordingly to bring business/jobs here.

Much of our job growth here was due to local businesses that expanded or big businesses that have teams of lawyers to digest the nonsense.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:44 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,171,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HI to ME View Post
Ha ha! So true! I am new to the forums but have enjoyed reading all the posts on this thread....you could say that I am having a sort of long distance love affair with Maine. I was raised in Maine for the majority of my childhood but moved to California to live with my Mom when I was 15. I have been visiting the rest of my family in Maine every year since then. About 3 years ago, my husband (native Cali. boy) and I decided we needed a change and it was a toss up between Hawaii (where his Dad lives) and Maine (where my family lives). Well, Hawaii won at the time but now my husband and I want to move to Maine, especially since we have 2 children now and I want them to grow up near my family and have the kind of childhood that I did in Maine. My husband is a little worried of the kind of reception he will receive as "an outsider" but reading some of the replies on here have helped to remind me that Maine definitely has some of the friendliest people!! Also, he is an XRay tech and is worried about the job market. Can anyone offer any input as to some of the best hospitals/medical centers. We are thinking of the Portland area but I grew up in midcoast area (Searsport/Belfast). My hubby doesn't want to live anywhere to rural but I don't think we have to be complete urbanites either. Any suggestions? In the meantime, I am going crazy lusting for the time when I am able to move back to Maine!
I think most hospitals in Maine are pretty good, but I must warn you of two avoid at all costs, employment wise:
DownEast Community Hospital in Machias, which just had the BIG hammer dropped on it by the Feds after years of being in trouble in many, many ways. They are going to take YEARS to clean up their act, if they ever do.
Blue HIll Memorial Hospital is in SERIOUS financial trouble (serves too small a population base), and is on life support.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I think most hospitals in Maine are pretty good, but I must warn you of two avoid at all costs, employment wise:
DownEast Community Hospital in Machias, which just had the BIG hammer dropped on it by the Feds after years of being in trouble in many, many ways. They are going to take YEARS to clean up their act, if they ever do.
Blue HIll Memorial Hospital is in SERIOUS financial trouble (serves too small a population base), and is on life support.
Thanks Maineguy! Someone actually told me that Downeast was hiring for XRay techs but that is too far downeast for me! We are really trying for MMC, Waldo County Hospital, EMMC or maybe anywhere in between but trying to stick to the coast since hubby and I are definite coastal people! Anyone heard anything regarding Penobscot Bay hospital? I think I've heard someone mention that it was a terrible hospital in terms of care but could just be a personal opinion.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:40 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,316,919 times
DH has worked at both EMMC and Waldo County. Both were pretty good. We lived in both Bangor and Northtport. I really liked Belfast, but did get frustrated having to drive an hour to a mall or 30 minutes to TJ Maxx in Rockland in order to do more shopping than one can do at Reny's.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
DH has worked at both EMMC and Waldo County. Both were pretty good. We lived in both Bangor and Northtport. I really liked Belfast, but did get frustrated having to drive an hour to a mall or 30 minutes to TJ Maxx in Rockland in order to do more shopping than one can do at Reny's.
So true lawmom! I really miss Belfast (Reny's was actually my first job....about 20 years ago!!) but that is one of the reasons my hubby is hesitant about living there...having to drive 30 min. to an hour for (decent) shopping. We do love the sense of community there though! If Waldo County Hospital were hiring for Xray Techs, he would definitely go for it! =)

Old 09-17-2009, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,618 times
Within the next two years my husband will be finished with Chiropractic school and we will be looking for a place to live. Maine has crossed our minds although all our family are on the West Coast. Personally I am looking for a charming town with Character. Nothing big. Population between 10,000-30,000. I want to be within a 20 minute drive to a Big city if i want to shop or whatever. Would love to be within a half hours drive to a major airport as well. Is there a city in Maine like this? Oh, and I definitely am looking for a safe, family friendly town where our business could grow.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:33 PM

8,748 posts, read 11,364,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMitchell View Post
Within the next two years my husband will be finished with Chiropractic school and we will be looking for a place to live. Maine has crossed our minds although all our family are on the West Coast. Personally I am looking for a charming town with Character. Nothing big. Population between 10,000-30,000. I want to be within a 20 minute drive to a Big city if i want to shop or whatever. Would love to be within a half hours drive to a major airport as well. Is there a city in Maine like this? Oh, and I definitely am looking for a safe, family friendly town where our business could grow.
The biggest city in Maine only has 65,000 people in it so there are NO big cities in Maine. Most Maine towns have fewer than 5000 people in them. Many far fewer. You may do well in Bangor, or the Lewiston-Auburn area. These are "cities" by most Mainers definitions but little more than large towns by west coast and mid west standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine