Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 08:25 PM

793 posts, read 1,342,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Any comments on the Hancock area? Been to Maine a few times. Okay, quite a few times, mostly Ellsworth area. I'm being drawn to Hancock for some reason.
Not to be a Debbie Downer, and this could be just hearsay, but I've heard that Hancock has gone downhill...lots of low-lifes and drugs. I don't know for sure though. Just do research before you take the plunge.

As I've mentioned before, I like Lamoine (right next door) and growing up, we had a camp in Franklin (also borders Hancock), therefore I'm partial to that town too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 01:56 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Not to be a Debbie Downer, and this could be just hearsay, but I've heard that Hancock has gone downhill...lots of low-lifes and drugs. I don't know for sure though. Just do research before you take the plunge.

As I've mentioned before, I like Lamoine (right next door) and growing up, we had a camp in Franklin (also borders Hancock), therefore I'm partial to that town too.
low-lifes and druggies,,,,,,havent heard that expression in a while..

something i dont get- how is it,,,that the "starving" poor on welfare
are the heaviest, smokers and users of drugs??

how do they afford either?? not to mention beer and coffee brandy

Old 08-10-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
low-lifes and druggies,,,,,,havent heard that expression in a while..

You sayin' I'm old, buddy?

Old 08-10-2013, 09:42 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Quote:

I think that's being said of most of Maine and the country as a whole. My sister-in-law was attacked twice by a man on bath salts in Bangor (Penobscot county) earlier this year. I live in Washington county and hear it all the time though it's not something I experience personally. Franklin is in Hancock county.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:07 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:

You sayin' I'm old, buddy?
I do not see 'old' in that post. However 'over-sensitive' regarding your age, maybe.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:06 PM

No, not really...I like that I've been around the block a time or two.

Scenario at my house...

Son: "Mom, you're old."
Me: "And?"

Old 08-11-2013, 08:33 AM

506 posts, read 683,819 times
One of the best areas to live in Maine is anywhere East of I-95 down to the coast...........draw a line from Waterville to Belfast and South to Brunswick. I guess that you could call it the Inland Mid-Coastal area.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:08 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,218 times
I don't want to shine an unwelcome light on what may be a pretty low-key spot, but I was just in the Limerick/Waterboro area recently, and I loved it there. Absolutely gorgeous woodlands and fields, reasonably close to Portland (maybe 40 minutes), lakes everywhere with easy access to boat launches, housing prices totally reasonable, etc. Only problem I could think of would be that you would have to commute to Portland for work, but that would be doable in my opinion, especially if the pay was right. Also, a major plus for me is that it has easy access to both the White Mountains (45 minutes) and the Lakes Region of NH (45 minutes to an hour). And obviously only two hours to Boston for a Sox game. Really a nice spot.

Now, nobody buy any property there please!

Old 08-11-2013, 02:55 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,971 times
I really like the south coast area of York, Wells, Ogunquit, Kittery, Kennebunk and Kennebunkport. I bought a house on 1A in York and love my time there.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:28 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
I've only been to Hancock once. But I wasn't impressed.

Presque Isle, Fort Kent, and Madawaska are all up in that same general area. I've never been to Madawaska, but I really liked Fort Kent and Presque Isle very much. We stopped at McD's for coffee, and half the restaurant was speaking French.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine