U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:16 PM

989 posts, read 4,165,537 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Maine for twenty years. Travelled to every corner, near and far. I can give you a detailed report of nearly any town if you need it. I have found the best quality of life is in York County. The home values are the highest in the state-currently, 350k. The towns are safe, clean and free of any hustle and bustle of Portland. The county is midway between Portland and the City of Portsmouth, NH.

The highest quality of life in the state is undoubtfully York. York Beach is home to clean beaches, vibrant retail opportunities, historic sights, and recreational activities are availiable in town on Mt. Agamentacus and on the York River. The town is very quiet and relaxed. Yet very close to the emerging Seacoast-are job market which includes Portmouth, NH. Nightlife year-round has local oppurtunities. In town nightlife options are generally more expensive. For a greater range of options head to Portsmouth(12 minutes). Our education system is among the top performing in the state. York crime is very low, and only crimes are usually vandalism and drinking by deliquient teenagers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 09:30 PM

420 posts, read 1,357,421 times
After leaving maine to go to college, I have since realized what a great state Maine is- i plan on moving back. I also find Mainers to be much more friendly and pleasant to be around, they are generally good people.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:27 PM

4 posts, read 119,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
After leaving maine to go to college, I have since realized what a great state Maine is- i plan on moving back. I also find Mainers to be much more friendly and pleasant to be around, they are generally good people.
Having moved to Maine in February, I have heard this particular sentiment many times. While they may be friendly and pleasant to those whom they have known for years, they are suspicious of people "from away". I am continually frustrated by them. This is not an absolute of course, but I have found it to be more true than not. It's a very frustrating place to live and do business.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:00 PM

420 posts, read 1,357,421 times
I guess I know what you mean, but I'm from Portland. southern maine is much different than Central/northern maine. I think northern maine and southern maine are world's apart. I guess it really depends more on each town. Each town has its own character. People from Saco for example, are much different than citizens from Freeport.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:28 PM

4,438 posts, read 5,067,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
I have lived in Maine for twenty years. Travelled to every corner, near and far. I can give you a detailed report of nearly any town if you need it.
How about N. Berwick?

Old 11-07-2006, 04:42 PM

2,133 posts, read 3,819,427 times
The key to being accepted upon moving to Maine is to jump in with both feet and get involved in your chosen town. If you are a person of faith, find a church and stay for the meet and greet afterwards. Get involved in your kids school events. Work on a project during "Make a Difference Day". Anything that the town offers is a way to meet more and more people and let them see that you are serious about becoming part of the community.

Mainers really are very friendly and giving people. They are also reserved until they get to know someone (reserved is not the same as hostile). Anyone moving to ME will have to make the first move probably 75% of the time but its well worth it to live there.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:59 PM

406 posts, read 1,175,058 times
I just visited Maine a few days ago and found the people I met to be super friendly. (we were in the central Maine area...near Waterville, Skowhegan, and Augusta...through to the coast at Belfast...NICE!)

I live on Cape Cod, just TRY and use a restroom here without being a patron! After several hours in the car I ran into a small store...they had no public restroom, but she happily offered me the employee facilities out back...they didn't even follow me back there! Call me crazy, but around here, unless you're nine months pregnant NOBODY will let you use the bathroom! So that was a surprise.

Everyone we encountered went out of their way to give directions (some were wise guys...with the "ya can't get there from heyah" line...hahaha!) or assist us. We loved the people!

We will move to Maine one day. No doubt about that. I love it there. I keep picturing the rolling hills...mist coming off the land (wow that's so pretty)...I can't get it out of my head. Someday!!!

Old 11-07-2006, 07:19 PM

406 posts, read 1,175,058 times
I just visited Maine a few days ago and found the people I met to be super friendly. (we were in the central Maine area...near Waterville, Skowhegan, and Augusta...through to the coast at Belfast...NICE!)

I live on Cape Cod, just TRY and use a restroom here without being a patron! After several hours in the car I ran into a small store...they had no public restroom, but she happily offered me the employee facilities out back...they didn't even follow me back there! Call me crazy, but around here, unless you're nine months pregnant NOBODY will let you use the bathroom! So that was a surprise.

Everyone we encountered went out of their way to give directions (some were wise guys...with the "ya can't get there from heyah" line...hahaha!) or assist us. We loved the people!

We will move to Maine one day. No doubt about that. I love it there. I keep picturing the rolling hills...mist coming off the land (wow that's so pretty)...I can't get it out of my head. Someday!!!

Old 11-08-2006, 11:59 AM

165 posts, read 34,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
I have lived in Maine for twenty years. Travelled to every corner, near and far. I can give you a detailed report of nearly any town if you need it. I have found the best quality of life is in York County. The home values are the highest in the state-currently, 350k. The towns are safe, clean and free of any hustle and bustle of Portland. The county is midway between Portland and the City of Portsmouth, NH.

The highest quality of life in the state is undoubtfully York. York Beach is home to clean beaches, vibrant retail opportunities, historic sights, and recreational activities are availiable in town on Mt. Agamentacus and on the York River. The town is very quiet and relaxed. Yet very close to the emerging Seacoast-are job market which includes Portmouth, NH. Nightlife year-round has local oppurtunities. In town nightlife options are generally more expensive. For a greater range of options head to Portsmouth(12 minutes). Our education system is among the top performing in the state. York crime is very low, and only crimes are usually vandalism and drinking by deliquient teenagers.
I've been to your area many times - used to visit from southern NH, before I decided that I HAD to live in Maine. You're right, it's absolutely wonderful where you are.

BUT... The Bangor area is better.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:01 PM

165 posts, read 34,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post

I hope you make it. I've lived all over the place, and I'm never leaving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine