U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-29-2012, 08:45 PM

16 posts, read 19,811 times

Advertisements

How do you pronounce Gardiner, Maine?

Is it Gard-ner or Gar-din-er? Do most people pronounce the Rs at all?

And while I'm at it, are there are any other Maine/Central Maine words with tricky or unusual pronunciations?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 09:34 PM

2,990 posts, read 3,413,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine_Bound View Post

Depends on who you're talking to, and where he or she is from. Pronunciation may range from Gahd-na to Gard-ner, with variations between.

Quote:
And while I'm at it, are there are any other Maine/Central Maine words with tricky or unusual pronunciations?

Thanks!
Yep, lots. Takes a bit for your ears to get used to it sometimes. Again, depends on who you're talking to. The classic 'characteristic' accent sometimes portrayed on the TV or in movies is an attempt to reproduce the 'Downeast' accent (Machias, Cutler, etc.) but, like many other areas of the country, accents within the state may vary from place to place.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:13 PM

6,239 posts, read 8,028,427 times
Maine is as big as the other five New England states put together. We have as many different accents as there are in those five states. I think John Kerry is the only person on the planet with his affected accent.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:55 AM

10,994 posts, read 10,972,279 times
having lived in wes-gardna (west gardiner) I'll throw in my two cents

if you have a different accent and say gardna, people will look at you funny,

garden- ner is fine,,,, you will hear....mostly ...gard-ner, or gaaard-ner

Old 06-30-2012, 05:15 AM

2,922 posts, read 3,174,807 times
Quote:

Thanks!
R's are pronounced with an "ah" just like the south except in Maine we don't drag it out so long or have the lilt in our voice. If the word ends with, say, an A then an well pronounced R is added. E.g. If we introduce a friend named Wanda, she becomes Wand-er. All the nuances are tricky and sometimes complicated but after the 2 year class in Jonesport you should start catching on.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:52 AM

16 posts, read 19,811 times
Thanks, everyone! I don't want to sound like an idiot when I tell people where I'm living.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:32 AM

10,994 posts, read 10,972,279 times
Quote:
Thanks, everyone! I don't want to sound like an idiot when I tell people where I'm living.

The gene pool in gardna is kinda shallow, no worries of sounding like an idiot

Old 06-30-2012, 07:00 AM

12,260 posts, read 8,406,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
The gene pool in gardna is kinda shallow
More so than other areas of Maine?

Old 06-30-2012, 07:38 AM

1,022 posts, read 931,236 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Congratulations!--you made it. It must feel great to leave Baltimore behind. You might want to pick up one of those learn to speak Maine books Here's a website to get you stahted. Speak Like a Mainer (disclaimer: I haven't verified all the info for accuracy)

Old 06-30-2012, 08:25 AM

1,568 posts, read 2,231,467 times
And just for the record: Calais is Kallus, Lubec is lu-BEC, Machias is ma-CHI-us, Bangor is Bang-er or Ban-goah, depending. The Penobscot Bay accent is different from the Bath accent is different from the Cutler accent is WAY different from the St. John Valley accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine