U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 04:56 AM

16 posts, read 39,791 times

Advertisements

Since I've been talking about moving to Maine, I've had a number of people make reference to their spending time in "Southern Maine." What areas are included in "Southern Maine" as people generally use the term. Is it simply the Southmost half or third of the state, or more specific than that?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 05:42 AM

39,236 posts, read 18,774,996 times
I think the term "Southern Maine" is a generalization that describes the lower 1/3 of the state, probably taking in York, Cumberland, Waldo Kennebec, Oxford, Androscoggin Counties.......but it really isnt a geographic term with specificity. There are a lot of socio-cultural overlays to the term.....some scoff at southern maine as being northern Massachusetts and consider it not the "true Maine".....others consider northern maine to be backward and less educated. There is little to justify those prejudicial perjoritive descriptions.

It is important to realize that Maine is a very large state and it is socio-culturally politically and economically diverse....there are stereo-types of the typical person from each region.....they may have some basis.....but they are not at all absolutes. Perjoritive terms such as "the Volvo line" try to differentiate the regions of the state.

State history, ecological features, economy, influx of those "from away" and urbanization all contribute to the flavor of Maine. When I was moving here, and a little worried about acceptance.....my son who lives in Maine advised me that as you move inland from the coast and north.....you move from more liberal to more conservative-----I thnk that is also an over generalization. If there is any unifying feature of Maine it is its respect for the individual.....its openess to diversity.....and its demand for the right of privacy.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:47 AM

18,281 posts, read 23,413,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine_Bound View Post
Since I've been talking about moving to Maine, I've had a number of people make reference to their spending time in "Southern Maine." What areas are included in "Southern Maine" as people generally use the term. Is it simply the Southmost half or third of the state, or more specific than that?

Thanks!
It depends who you are talking to

southern maine to someone up in aroostook county might mean bangor,

southern maine and "down-river" can mean the same thing in many towns (mostly means south)

for most folks livin in southern central maine (the indoor plumbing types)
southern maine means portland - south

portland, scarborough, saco, wells, york, yep- all southern maine.

someone from ellsworth may say anything bath, brunswick south is southern maine

most of the people livin in maine -lives in southern maine-but thats fine with most of us

gardiner is southern maine, compared to most of maine, again, depends who you are talking to and frame of reference- now if someone was born in gardiner, moved to houlton - gardiner would be southern maine- but same person moves to portland, gardiner is no longer southern maine, portland south is southern maine
if that same person moves again to say newport with his volvo, and told folks you were born in gardiner then gardiner again, would be southern maine- portland would be boston- north

I hope this clears this up for ya...once and for all

Old 06-30-2012, 06:44 AM

39,236 posts, read 18,774,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
It depends who you are talking to

southern maine to someone up in aroostook county might mean bangor,

southern maine and "down-river" can mean the same thing in many towns (mostly means south)

for most folks livin in southern central maine (the indoor plumbing types)
southern maine means portland - south

portland, scarborough, saco, wells, york, yep- all southern maine.

someone from ellsworth may say anything bath, brunswick south is southern maine

most of the people livin in maine -lives in southern maine-but thats fine with most of us

gardiner is southern maine, compared to most of maine, again, depends who you are talking to and frame of reference- now if someone was born in gardiner, moved to houlton - gardiner would be southern maine- but same person moves to portland, gardiner is no longer southern maine, portland south is southern maine
if that same person moves again to say newport with his volvo, and told folks you were born in gardiner then gardiner again, would be southern maine- portland would be boston- north

I hope this clears this up for ya...once and for all
I used to get "bristle-y" with the terms and distictions and implications about the regions of maine....I took it personally that someone was making fun of my town....my region. Now I see that Mainebrokerman is absolutely right.....its all a matter of perspective......and it really is part of Maine humor. Now that I have gotten it down.....I am getting ready to move away from Maine....and will have to start all over getting used to regionalism, generalities and sayings and wisdom of the locals.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:40 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,963,209 times
I moved to Eliot (southern tip of maine) from the Corinna/Dover area (central maine) when I was very young and spent many years between the two places visiting relatives. As far as accents, Eliot may just as well have been in another state as far as my family was concerned. The accents were completely different. The farther north you go, the more the r's disappear. The more south you go, the ME accent blends more with MA accent and you get the r's where you don't need them.

So, I had picked up both the central ME accent and the far southern ME accent. Then, my dad moved the family to East Hartford, CT where I spend my later high school years in a place where they look at me like I'm from another country. I was used to being called Roja. Now, all these new kids and teachers were calling me Rah-jer. Then in the next six months to a year, I was told I lost all my accents.

My mom and dad would visit CA every year as snowbirds. They would always bring their thick central ME accents with them but would lose a lot of it in the few months they were there.

As far as what is considered Southern Maine? I always thought it was from the capitol down.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:46 PM

5,430 posts, read 3,876,935 times
From Augusta south. Probably can include midcoast too.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:00 PM

9,767 posts, read 14,898,604 times
Elston nailed it with his first post in this thread.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:19 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,171,423 times
My limited knowledge of Maine, even after moving here two years ago tells me that the Maine of today, will not be the Maine of the next generation. Instead of southern Maine, mid-coast, downeast, and the county, it will largely be, the coast and inland. People are moving to Maine, and most of them are moving to areas near the coast. For obvious reasons, coastal weather is generally not nearly as brutal as the inland weather of Maine. Plus the views along the coast, the whole coast are spectacular. While southern Maine isn't my cup of tea, it is still beautiful, the mid-coast is great too, and of course I have a special feeling for downeast Maine. That is why I live there.

As more people move to Maine, the population will creep up the coast, already, as far down as Ellsworth, many old timers say they just have too many people there. I agree. As the population on the coast increases, the influence of the whole coast, from Kittery to Eastport, will increase greatly.

I have seen this happen in Florida where I lived for nearly 40 years. As the coastal regions became filled with people, the interior parts seemed to lose their influence. Orlando is not a typical inland town in Florida. Disney came in the 70's and forever changed Orlando.

I suspect many Mainers will not agree with me, but I honestly think this is what will happen. By the way, all the tree huggers will also be trying to turn the northern 1/2 of the state into some kind of park, or recreational area. I have to agree with NMLM, it is the depopulation of the northern part of the state that they seek.

All this is simply my humble opinion, and assumes the American economy will kickstart in a few years, no matter who is President.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:38 PM

16 posts, read 39,791 times
Thanks, everyone!

Old 07-01-2012, 06:23 PM

18,281 posts, read 23,413,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine_Bound View Post
Thanks, everyone!

another tidbit of advice,

If you have folks pointing you to "southern maine"
it may be because thats all they know

I had never gone to northern maine til i was 27 ...in aroostook county, the ignorant statements I use to hear were " nothing but inbreds way up there" or "there's nothing thier, nothing to do!"

when i finally went up for myself- i loved it! big sky country-great people!

so, take advice with a grain of salt- some folks are highly opinionated on areas they know very little about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine