U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 04:35 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,286,680 times

Advertisements

When the grill has cooled off and before the fireworks begin, take some quiet time with your family to read the Declaration of Independence and remember those brave patriots who signed their names to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 05:42 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
When the grill has cooled off and before the fireworks begin, take some quiet time with your family to read the Declaration of Independence and remember those brave patriots who signed their names to it.
this should be mandatory for all the politicians to do this

Old 07-04-2012, 03:16 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 707,792 times
Do they even teach the Declaration in school anymore? I sure know our elected leaders and even some Supreme Court appointees don't even think our Constitution is worth abiding by. Heck, even our president has conveniently left out this line, "endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights" when trying to quote form this document. Almost like it is distasteful. Oh well, I guess this is what they meant about transforming America and rewritting our history and changing our traditions.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:47 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,182 times
Whether most of us like it or not, the idea of a "creator" is becoming more and more foreign to many people. Plus many people these days don't apparently believe in a creator at all. Plus, according to the latest information, Maine is the least religious state in the country. I am not surprised that this is happening. America is transforming itself, this is one thing I don't blame the politicians for.

Try having a conversation about "creation" not religion with a younger person. You will quickly see that idea has morphed into something you might not understand.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:46 AM

38,425 posts, read 18,180,970 times
My memories of the fourth of July have absolutely nothing to do with "creationism", religion or really not even the Constitution of the United States. It was not an angry political event. It had to do with being proud and thankful to be an American, love of country and our history....and a great deal to do with family and community.

The Fourth of July

The Fourth of July was one of my favorite holidays when I was growing up.....in my memory it is a montage of the parades and marching bands, firework displays and staying up after dark. Pop bottle rockets and sparklers, fireflies and camp fires, Round Pond and loons....are all part of my Fourth of July experience...it was all magical.

I have very Norman Rockwell "Americana" memories of my childhood 4th: decorating my bike with balloons and crepe streamers and riding with my buddies--the balloons attatched so they became noise makers against the spokes, and my mother in uniform (even white gloves) with her girl scout troop marching in the parade and later Dad on the band stand....saying a few words or giving a benediction....extolling that which is best in America and asking a blessing on this great land.

The finale of the fireworks display was a huge depiction of an American flag set up on the ground....with wires and pine strapping.....but after dark when it was lit.....and sputtered and crackled into its full smokey red white and blue glory....we all stood like the little whoos down in whooville and sang the Star Spangled Banner with hands over our hearts.

Happy Fourth of July.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:54 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 707,792 times
The point I was trying to make was not really about religion. It has to do with a document written by the founders of this country. Because one does not like the words used or even a "creator" reference, it is not something that one changes to make fit their ideology. Either you take the document as it was written and intended and quote it accurately or don't use it to make a point and purposely leave out passages like they are meaningless or don't exist.
Not being a practicing religious person, I do agree with you about how this country is swinging and it is not just Maine. My intent was not to get into religion, just to use that particular line as an example. Transforming things does not mean rewriting our history or rewriting what has been written to fit today's mentality. And when politiicians, the media and our teachers purposely ignore, exclude or even change exact wording, yes, they are guilty of knowingly trying to change historical facts and writings.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:08 AM

38,425 posts, read 18,180,970 times
The fireworks probably got rained out in most places in maine this year.....but what a lightening display came with the storm that ripped thru our area! "The Capitol Fourth" on PBS was great fun to watch with the marshal music and the performers and the fireworks over the Washington Mall.

So with the cook-out we had before the rain came....and a few neighborhood Roman Candles in the evening....and family stopping over....we had a wonderful 4th....in my "neck of the woods". I hope you all had a Happy Fourth of July!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:37 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,855,908 times
When The Star Spangled Banner played at the beginning of the fireworks at Bar Harbor, I thought of this thread. NMLM...thanks for the suggestion to read the Declaration of Independence. You have inspired me to to this with my family this week.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:29 AM

17 posts, read 18,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Amen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or