U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 10,730 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been talking about moving to Maine pretty much since we met almost 10 years ago, following in the footsteps of my grandparents, who have successfully lived "off the grid" in Maine since their retirement.

We just recently had our first child, and we would love to bring him up in Maine, with lots of fresh air and freedom. We can't stand the congestion and unhealthy stress levels of our current city lifestyle, and we definitely don't want to go the typical soulless suburbia route either.

But, we don't want to live TOO remotely now that we have him -- and my family lives in Massachusetts, so southern Maine is more practical for us for now. We also want to make sure the schools are good, and while we love the idea of a more rural lifestyle we want to make sure it is not an area that is too provincial/parochial.

We happened to stop by South Berwick very briefly, to check out the Hamilton House, and from what we saw of the town itself, it was a very pretty and there was a beautiful winding river. We briefly drove through the downtown area, but barely saw any of it.

Can anyone give me some honest insiders' info on South Berwick? (Or do you have suggestions for other southern Maine towns that are great for raising kids in?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 01:24 PM

3,093 posts, read 5,422,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineboundgirl View Post
My husband and I have been talking about moving to Maine pretty much since we met almost 10 years ago, following in the footsteps of my grandparents, who have successfully lived "off the grid" in Maine since their retirement.

We just recently had our first child, and we would love to bring him up in Maine, with lots of fresh air and freedom. We can't stand the congestion and unhealthy stress levels of our current city lifestyle, and we definitely don't want to go the typical soulless suburbia route either.

But, we don't want to live TOO remotely now that we have him -- and my family lives in Massachusetts, so southern Maine is more practical for us for now. We also want to make sure the schools are good, and while we love the idea of a more rural lifestyle we want to make sure it is not an area that is too provincial/parochial.

We happened to stop by South Berwick very briefly, to check out the Hamilton House, and from what we saw of the town itself, it was a very pretty and there was a beautiful winding river. We briefly drove through the downtown area, but barely saw any of it.

Can anyone give me some honest insiders' info on South Berwick? (Or do you have suggestions for other southern Maine towns that are great for raising kids in?)

I can't stress how important it is to have a job here, before you come to live the dream.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,635 times
I have lived in South Berwick for almost 30 years. My daughters went to school at the local public schools and got a great education. I am on the school board so I am a bit biased, but the schools are great! There are great folks in this town and the country side around here is lovely. I am a recreational bike rider and there are plenty of places to ride where you won't see much traffic. We are close to the ocean (if you can stand tourist season!) and there are great places to eat in nearby Portsmouth. I really can't say enough about this town. On the down side, other folks have discovered it and real estate prices reflect that. South Berwick has no industry to speak of - many people I know are self employed. Next time you are in the area stop at the local pub - [url=http://www.pepperlandcafe.com/]Pepperland Cafe[/url] or get provisions at our local market (Nature's Way Market - great beer selection!) and spend some time in town. You'll like it.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:44 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,610,521 times
I lived there for a couple years when I was growing up. Nice area. Close to NH so you can avoid sales taxes. But, as others have said, don't come here without jobs in hand. Maine is poor with few opportunities.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:50 PM

50 posts, read 93,486 times
I have friends who moved to South Berwick from TN. They are very happy and enjoying living there. They have 2 small children and have lived in Maine for 4-5 years now. Sorry that I can't provide more info, but just wanted to let you know they like the area.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:59 AM

828 posts, read 1,402,785 times
I lived in North Berwick [next door] I know many on the South Berwick FD, PD, and Rescue. ALL good folks. Many in town are good folks as well. You will like it very much. I lived there for 41 yrs and hope to return to there as soon as I can. it's a lot mo9re easy going then some places I've been.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,364 times
Default South Berwick resident for 14 years

I have been in South Berwick for 14 years and it has been a nice enough town. Taxes keep going up and we keep getting less and less for the increase. Property values are down so if you are looking to buy a house it is definately a buyers market. The houses in Old Mill aren't even selling and that was once a very sought after neighborhood. As for jobs, we are close enough to some larger areas and big employers, unfortunately most of which are in NH and so you will be paying an income tax on that money, and a sales tax and an exise tax. If you are coming from a state where you are already paying all these taxes you may not mind. The elementary school is fantastic though overcrowded and will have to either bring in modulars or redistrict some students. Rollinsford NH is getting ready to enter an agreement where they send there middle school and high school to Marshwood so that will drop property values even more. Why buy in Maine and pay all the various taxes when you can live in NH and get the school system for nothing. So that could be a good thing for home buyers as well.

But currently there are well over 125 houses for sale in South Berwick that are not selling so you can just about get them for nothing.

Good Luck

Old 02-19-2013, 06:50 AM

646 posts, read 1,401,876 times
We are looking to move to this area this summer. My husband got stationed up there and we are looking for a house to buy.

Would you say the market has steadily declined since the boom or on the rise?

I see inventory levels in the Berwicks aren't high. We are looking under 300k and are finding a tough time. Most of the homes appear to sell quickly if priced right and are in good condiiton.

ANy info on the area would be greatly appreciated! Also, what areas to avoid. Thanks in Advance!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine