Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 12:11 PM

6 posts, read 12,093 times

Advertisements

Need advise from the locals.

I'll be in Old Orchard Beach in august, where do the locals think the best whole 2+ lb lobster is to be had. I don't care if its a fancy restaurant or just a shack on the beach. I want what the locals consider to be the best whole lobster in or near Old Orchard Beach.

Last edited by dpk1nba; 07-05-2012 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 12:51 PM

47,851 posts, read 21,876,869 times
IMHO a steamed lobster is a very simple dish....so it is hard to make a recommendation of who has the best. Unless a place is really substandard.....a lobster will be good where ever you get it. I would probably head up to Bailey's in Pine Point....but Joseph's right there in OOB on Grand Ave should be fine.

At this time of year....I would go with a couple of "shedders" or soft shell lobsters.....about 1 1/4 lbs.....the soft shell should be cheaper than hard shell. They are so much easier to eat and perhaps sweeter. (Maybe less meat than a hard shell.....but thats why I said 2 of em.) I usually want to get a 2 lb lobster which with the sides is quite satisfying.

You really cant go wrong.....at least I dont think so. I usually to always cook them at home......unless I am taking out visitors. I have taken visitors down to DiMello's in Portland.....everyone says it is a tourist trap*....but we like it and guests love it. (*Their prices are high. but the ambiance and service is really good....and they have a bloody mary with collosal shrimp that is a meal in itself.)

Old 07-05-2012, 05:18 PM

72 posts, read 204,698 times
I agree with Elston, any steamed Maine lobster will be delicious!

Old 07-06-2012, 06:02 PM

7,056 posts, read 9,013,354 times
Hard shells hard to find right now. Soft shells glutting the market, cheap, $5/lb or less. One guy was selling them 5 for $25.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:34 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,183,527 times
Hard shelled Maine lobster. Keep in mind that many lobsters are imported (in single serving trays) from Canada and I have yet to see lobster advertised as Canadian Lobster?!

Old 07-06-2012, 08:46 PM

642 posts, read 1,247,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Hard shells hard to find right now. Soft shells glutting the market, cheap, $5/lb or less. One guy was selling them 5 for $25.
$3.99/lb in Ellsworth

Old 07-06-2012, 08:50 PM

642 posts, read 1,247,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Hard shelled Maine lobster. Keep in mind that many lobsters are imported (in single serving trays) from Canada and I have yet to see lobster advertised as Canadian Lobster?!
We like shedders. They are soooo sweet, cheap and easy to get into.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:23 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,183,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
We like shedders. They are soooo sweet, cheap and easy to get into.
Well, the OP asked about "the best" lobsters to be had, and I wouldn't put a shedder in that category. I certainly don't think they taste as good as hard shell, and the meat is mushier. However, with the price of shedders now, I'd probably buy two of them for the price of a hard shell and enjoy all that lobster!!!

I've never bought a cooked lobster, so can't really speak to which restaurant might be the best in the Old Orchard area. It's hard to cook a lobster poorly (although possible), but the Clambake or Ken's would be where I'd look first. My only tip would be to ask whether they boil them or steam them. I think steamed lobsters have more taste.

BTW, just to get rid of another myth, small lobsters DON'T taste better than large ones. I've got relatives that are lobster fishermen, and have eaten the largest legally taken. The bigger ones are fantastic!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:14 AM

19,957 posts, read 30,004,669 times
Quote:
Well, the OP asked about "the best" lobsters to be had, and I wouldn't put a shedder in that category. I certainly don't think they taste as good as hard shell, and the meat is mushier. However, with the price of shedders now, I'd probably buy two of them for the price of a hard shell and enjoy all that lobster!!!

I've never bought a cooked lobster, so can't really speak to which restaurant might be the best in the Old Orchard area. It's hard to cook a lobster poorly (although possible), but the Clambake or Ken's would be where I'd look first. My only tip would be to ask whether they boil them or steam them. I think steamed lobsters have more taste.

BTW, just to get rid of another myth, small lobsters DON'T taste better than large ones. I've got relatives that are lobster fishermen, and have eaten the largest legally taken. The bigger ones are fantastic!

I have to put in my two cents, having eaten a ton of lobsters- my father is a lobsterman, I grew up on a lobster boat, we use to eat them everyday in the summer (I never got tired of them)

it takes about five years for a lobster to become legal (about a 1lb) for a lobster to grow, they need to shed thier outer shell, a young lobster will shed every summer to grow- when they shed, they become very vulnerable to just about any and all predators-they go from being a hard shell to a papery skin, til the shell hardens again, as the shell hardens, the new muscle or meat grows inside the shell-that's why sheddars are juicier-the muscle hasnt fully grown inside the shell-and the juice fills the shell

the soft shells, or sheddars are sweeter than the hard shells...(many larger hard shells dont shed as often, so their meat isnt as tender as a sheddar)

In maine thier is a maximum legal size you can catch/sell/eat a lobster (around 4 lbs)

lobsters above this weight and age, again are usually quite a bit tougher than smaller ones because they dont shed as often

are the 2-3lb hardshell lobsters tough??

nope- these are great, lobsters over 3-4lbs can be quite a bit tougher because they dont shed as often

steamed or boiled is fine, if you steam your own, just be sure they cook evenly

if you get a chance for a lobsterbake, or clambake and lobsters and clams are cooked in seaweed- this is awesome, a smoky flavor,,,
,cabbage island clambakes out of boothbay harbor is great- you take a tour boat right to an island, and they do all the work for a lobsterbake-thiers even a bar on the island

Old 07-07-2012, 07:02 AM

7,056 posts, read 9,013,354 times
Quote:
Many of the lobsters caught by Maine lobstermen are sent to Canada for processing. Canadian processors are currently at capacity and aren't taking the catch from the Maine fishermenn, which is part of the reason for the current market- they need to sell their catch and that means selling it here at [relatively] low prices.

I think any lobster caught in the Gulf of Maine is a 'Maine' lobster, regardless of who catches it, sells it or processes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine