U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 07:52 AM

41 posts, read 135,200 times

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone remembers me, but I am the California mom of 5 looking for a retirement property for my husband and I in Maine . I am finally closer after making my 4 day trip from CA to NC with 5 kids, a u-haul and a dog. Whew.

We had a few hiccups along the way so timing is a little later than we had expected but I am glad to be back on track. I plan to drive up there with my kids sometime in the first 2 weeks of August to look at places to at least rent, but hopefully buy if the right one comes along.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello again and I can’t wait to get up there next month!

PS Suggestions on your favorite areas is always appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 08:56 AM

471 posts, read 601,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensiblyScented View Post
Not sure if anyone remembers me, but I am the California mom of 5 looking for a retirement property for my husband and I in Maine . I am finally closer after making my 4 day trip from CA to NC with 5 kids, a u-haul and a dog. Whew.

We had a few hiccups along the way so timing is a little later than we had expected but I am glad to be back on track. I plan to drive up there with my kids sometime in the first 2 weeks of August to look at places to at least rent, but hopefully buy if the right one comes along.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello again and I can’t wait to get up there next month!

Woo Hoo! How exciting! We're also from CA looking to make the jump…
You are taking on a big job cruising from the west coast all the way to the east with such a big troupe! Take it easy on the road and take lots of breaks.
We are currently looking at the MidCoast region ourselves, but there are tons of deluxe areas in Maine. I think you are wise to rent first while you decide on a more permanent landing place.
We will be most interested to hear your take on ME since you will be coming from our neck of the woods!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:24 AM

41 posts, read 135,200 times
Thanks!! I am actually from NC originally. I made it here (to NC) safe and sound so I am not very far from Maine at all anymore. Just a long days drive or two short ones

I lived in California for a good portion of my life, though, so I will definitely give a review of my experiences in Maine. I forgot how hot, humid and disgusting it is here in NC (although still gorgeous) so I am looking forward to the cooler temperatures in Maine. I think I was born to be a cold weather gal. We lived in Rhode Island for a few years as well and I adored everything about it. If I could convince the hubs that Rhode Island should be on our list of retirement choices I would go back in a heartbeat!

Just an FYI (for anyone reading) when I say “retirement” we are still babies in the retirement community. My husband will be retiring from the military and looking for his second life career (aside from fishing lol).

Old 07-07-2012, 04:21 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,428,655 times
Cut it into 2 days. Come up I-81 instead of 95, it's about 600 miles from Charlotte to Frackville PA where you can stop at Granny's Motel and Restaurant (or Motel 6 next door). Granny's is good eats.

Next day another 600 miles puts you in Bangor. Take 81 to 84, then catch the Mass Pike (I-90) east and then north on I-95 (or 495 to 95) to ME.

Traffic is a lot better on 81 instead of 95 thru Richmond, DC and NY. If you want a scenic drive, catch the Taconic Parkway in NY off I-84 and hit 90 from there.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:25 PM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,831,339 times
Yea! There are only 2 bases left in Maine to you use your benefits, I don't know how important that is to you. Look forward to having you join us...Maine is a GREAT state.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:02 PM

16,045 posts, read 18,263,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensiblyScented View Post

Be sure to have the kids drink plenty of water, the heat wave continues in NC and D.C. area, right up through Mass....though it could be letting up with lots of thunderstorms. Drive safely!

I am not a Mainer but have researched (for a retirement move) several areas that I like. I really like Brunswick (home of Bowdoin College), Belfast, Bangor, Brewer (next to Bangor) and Bar Harbor (this one being the priciest)—the five B's. Each of these places is different and offers something unique. I would imagine that the schools are good in these places. If you like an area and do not find affordable housing right in that town, look around that town a bit as prices can be lower even close by.

California to Maine is pretty exciting!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:03 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Welcome!

I am from Modesto, I grew up between there and Fresno.

I suggest that you go to where you think you might enjoy and rent an apartment. Once settled, then you can explore this wonderful state and decide where you really want to be.

Maine has various regions and each is different. Just as Crescent City Ca is different from Fort Bragg Ca; and how Tahoe is different from Sausalito; Angels Camp is a lot like Catheys Valley, but Barstow is entirely different; and nothing compares to Santa Barbara.

So you will find that the regions of Maine can be different.

I wish you the best of luck in your move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine