U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 09:53 AM

46 posts, read 58,440 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I've posted many times in different areas, because for a while now my husband has been wanting to move up north. I am a born in raised FL girl who has never even seen snow, and the only season I know is Summer and a cooler version of summer in the 70s lol. My husband is from NY and really misses the feeling of north. We plan to finally make the move next year.

We currently have 2 kids a 2 year old, and a 5 year old starting Kindergarten this year.
I have family that lives in Hampden Maine. We want to know the best places to go to rent a nice house, nice areas for kids, best schools, best day cares, and best place to find jobs.

Background on job history. I am very involved in my church here in FL. I work in childcare at the church, and also as the aftercare teacher, as well as do homework hour for our church's school. I am also creating a curriculum for the aftercare program for this school year. This summer I am one of the head camp counselors for the church summer camp. I'd really love to be able to find another church where my skills will be wanted and needed. I love working with kids, so I'd consider day cares, pre-school, or after school programs as well.

My husband is a jack of all trades. He is an entertainer, and used to be a Gator wrestler (yes you heard that right). He also has a BA in music. (Insert joke here) Singing Gator wrestler ! He has worked as a Karate instructor for many years, as well as heading up the summer camp program for the Karate school. He has been a wedding singer, actor, he does voice over work, Announcing for Summer Sports triathlons, has done Dj work, and been on TV documentaries many times talking about gators and diff animals. He was a Cantor at the Catholic church he grew up in, and recently was asked to be the worship leader at a local church here in FL. He'd love to focus more on his musical talents, either teaching in a private school, singing on stage for events, being a worship leader in a church, or doing private voice lessons.

We are looking for the right place for us. Ideally, we'd love to both be able to work at a school, day care or church, because we both share a love of kids, and music, as well as I want to bring my kids with me if possible. He would be head of the music, and I can do all the childcare work.

Where is the best place in Maine for our family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 01:09 PM

41 posts, read 135,237 times
How fun! I loved reading your post. I am not in Maine yet so I am not much help (sorry ), but I am almost in the same boat. I am from North Carolina and my Yankee (I use the term lovingly) husband wants to head back North. He is from Massachusetts originally and lived in upstate NY for years so he is used to the Northern weather. I donít mind the cold, but I am having a hard time seeing his vision. I love the idea of Maine and I am willing to go with the flow if that is what he truly wants, but I am scared I will end up living like Daniel Boone without internet instead of living in some beautiful coastal home with all the amenities.

I am heading up next month for a trial run and to find a rental before school starts. We have 5 kids, 4 of whom will be in school so the school we live near is a big deciding factor as well. Best of luck to you!

Old 07-07-2012, 01:22 PM

I'd love to hear what you think, and what area you end up choosing. Yes It sounds like we are in similar situations. Who knows, we may end up being neighbors, so lets keep in touch so we can vent about our husbands once we get up there... HAHA!

Old 07-07-2012, 03:10 PM

908 posts, read 869,796 times
You may not know, but Maine is the least "churched" state in the country. You'd think churches are recession-proof but the culture up here for some reason has led to fewer churches than other areas, especially compared to the south. FYI.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:48 PM

17,164 posts, read 22,182,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryLady View Post
Hello everyone,
I've posted many times in different areas, because for a while now my husband has been wanting to move up north. I am a born in raised FL girl who has never even seen snow, and the only season I know is Summer and a cooler version of summer in the 70s lol. My husband is from NY and really misses the feeling of north. We plan to finally make the move next year.

We currently have 2 kids a 2 year old, and a 5 year old starting Kindergarten this year.
I have family that lives in Hampden Maine. We want to know the best places to go to rent a nice house, nice areas for kids, best schools, best day cares, and best place to find jobs.

Background on job history. I am very involved in my church here in FL. I work in childcare at the church, and also as the aftercare teacher, as well as do homework hour for our church's school. I am also creating a curriculum for the aftercare program for this school year. This summer I am one of the head camp counselors for the church summer camp. I'd really love to be able to find another church where my skills will be wanted and needed. I love working with kids, so I'd consider day cares, pre-school, or after school programs as well.

My husband is a jack of all trades. He is an entertainer, and used to be a Gator wrestler (yes you heard that right). He also has a BA in music. (Insert joke here) Singing Gator wrestler ! He has worked as a Karate instructor for many years, as well as heading up the summer camp program for the Karate school. He has been a wedding singer, actor, he does voice over work, Announcing for Summer Sports triathlons, has done Dj work, and been on TV documentaries many times talking about gators and diff animals. He was a Cantor at the Catholic church he grew up in, and recently was asked to be the worship leader at a local church here in FL. He'd love to focus more on his musical talents, either teaching in a private school, singing on stage for events, being a worship leader in a church, or doing private voice lessons.

We are looking for the right place for us. Ideally, we'd love to both be able to work at a school, day care or church, because we both share a love of kids, and music, as well as I want to bring my kids with me if possible. He would be head of the music, and I can do all the childcare work.

Where is the best place in Maine for our family?

Church Jobs, Employment in Maine | Indeed.com

here is a link for church jobs- even a music/choir job listed!!

maine has many churches, do some online searches, you will see

Old 07-07-2012, 05:22 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,857,004 times
I too enjoyed reading your post. michael-atw is right about churches in Maine....I have seen and visited some of the big churches in FL....the church situation is very different in Maine....not as many and typically much smaller buildings and much smaller congregations. There are a few larger churches in Bangor....Since you have family in Hampden, they can probably point you to churches in the Bangor area. I saw the job posted for a church in Raymond--that's far from Hampden and your family there. No offense to your husband's aspirations, but most of the churches in Maine are not going to pay someone to lead the music (worship leader) and if they did, it would be nominal....if he was thinking in terms of income. Below are two links for church affiliated schools in Bangor. The teacher pay at parochial schools is a fraction of that in a public school. You say you want to rent a nice house....that takes income/money....not trying to pry into your finances or anything....If he teaches in a private school, he will most likely need to offer private voice lessons or work some type of second job for additional income; that means living in an area where people want and can afford to pay for voice lessons....there are lots of nice schools in Maine and lots of nice communities....you'll find that overall the church affiliation/religious atmosphere/environment is minimal compared to the South....
ASCS Home Page
Bangor Christian Schools
Acadia Christian School in Trenton

mainebrokerman makes a great suggestion about online searches for Christian daycares, schools, and churches in Maine...

Here's an idea, maybe your church in FL has a church directory for the US and could help you with contacts in Maine.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 07-07-2012 at 05:41 PM..

Old 07-08-2012, 09:33 AM

So glad you like my post, puts a smile on my face. It looks like you will be seeing a lot more post from me in diff areas, because a church is a really big deal to me, and music is my husband's life so Maine may not be the right place after all. This is why I love this forum. Each of you who respond help those who need true advice make the right choice for their future. Moving is such a big step and because of you, I for one can take in account all your words and decide what is the best place for my family. Thank you all again for your guidance. Maine is not off the charts yet, but I think I am going to do some more research, before I settle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or