U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:09 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,699,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
My BIL was paid $2.25/lb for shedders yesterday. His bank doesn't base his boat payment or mortgage on the price of lobster. He's still buying diesel to go out to haul, paying his stern man, insurance and all the other expenses. No break from the electric and phone companies. It's an unfortunate situation.

What's a BIL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 07:07 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,786,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
What's a BIL?
Brother-In-Law

Old 07-15-2012, 07:58 AM

1,361 posts, read 1,864,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I see it from a different vantage point. Demand for lobster is down because the usual customers are not here. With demand down, supply is high and dealers won't pay for product that could spoil. They cut the price they will pay. Local retail customers benefit. Lobstermen lose. The price of Diesel is beginning to come down, but not enough to compensate for the low catch price.

Some co-ops have stopped fishing. That is a narrow point of view. Other co-ops are fishing and of course the Canadians are fishing. They have government subsidies to prevent fishermen from losing money. Maine lobstermen are caught by the Obama recession and it isn't going to get any better this year or until 2016, depending on how the election turns out.
Even though some don't agree with your last sentence, (I suspect michael_atw was in disagreement with your terminology "Obama recession") everyone has been affected by the economy and honestly, it doesn't seem to me that there has been any improvement over the past 3.5 years. Whether or not you believe in what is commonly referred to as trickle down economics, government policies trickle down to all of us (all the steps regarding production and distribution)....consumers end up with higher food prices, higher diesel prices, gas prices, etc. I don't know about the rest of you, but IMO gas prices over $3 a gallon aren't anything to be happy about or consider acceptable. (I guess we could get into a "relative" discussion about how high they were after hurricane Katrina or just in general "they could be worse.") Now by having lower lobster prices, those who depend on lobstering for their livelihood are suffering. If anyone is thinking of talking about how gas prices have recently come down, please don't bother. They haven't come down anywhere near enough.

To the OP: Why isn't the entire East Coast headed to Maine to escape the heat? If people are fortunate enough to have a job, maybe they don't have any vacation time coming to them and since we are all paying more for groceries (and should I say soon health insurance), they may not be able to afford the gas, tolls, motel, and other costs associated with a vacation. Some who are employed haven't gotten a raise in 3 years....requires budget adjustments regarding wants and needs.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:35 PM

276 posts, read 743,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
I would have thought everyone on the East Coast would be up here by now to cool off.

Temps in the 70s - 80s, and down in the 50s at night, while most of the East Coast is up around 100 with widespread power outages

Yet I haven't noticed a huge increase in summer people from the lower East Coast here, and I am on the beach areas of York County. We still have a preponderance of Canadians.

Have you guys noticed more tourists or about the same as usual?
Usually we have a lot of tourists passing through here and it makes traffic at the light horrible but this year seems to be pretty mild. I know it is not good for the economy but I don't miss the traffic that summer bring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine